Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Rose Plants question

Options
  • 10-03-2011 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Quick question,I have two beds of roses in my lawn which have become hard to manage and are sort of in the wrong place so i dug them up Yesterday with a view to building two good sized raised flower beds where they used to be.

The plan is to transfer the rose plants that are in good order to a newly built rose bed in a different location in the garden,ive around 20 plants which are in perfect order and are now in a bare root state,they are out in small leaves at the moment,the main issue is should I plant them untouched or prune them back??.

Im planning on re-planting them in a couple of rows on new beds of mounded clay in a green area,any other tips on the best way of going about this would also be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Bush Roses - Prune them to approx 10cm at an outward facing bud.

Standards - as above but 10cm above the start of the bush.

Then fork a load of compost into the soil - if you've a stables nearby and they have some well rotted manure that's just the job otherwise garden compost or buy a few bags of compost and fork it in. Roses are greedy feeders.

When planted at same level they were already at firm them with your foot and water them well they should take off no problem.

For future refernce it's always good practice to have the relocation site prepared ready to accept plants before you dig them out. It saves them getting stressed and wilting as any time out of the soil even at this time of year with sun and wind can dry out roots.

Advertisement