Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English ,Media and Cultural studies questions as well as some general qs on IADT

Options
  • 10-03-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, I am interested in doing this course next year, I just have a few questions about it, i would really appreciate if some1 could answer some of them.

How many hours of lectures are there roughly for this course?

Do students at IADT have moodle or blackboard? and if so do all lecturers put their notes up on it?

Do you have continuous assessment at IADT? When are exams held?

Is there somewhere where i could view a list of the modules covered in each year in this course?

How many students are there in this course?

Do students from this course sometimes have lectures with students doing different courses?

Is there a majority of female students studying this course or would it be fairly mixed?

I think thats all my questions! thanx in advance to any help you guys can give:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭awesom_o

1. In first year, we have lectures and seminars everyday. You'll never be in later then 5pm, never be in earlier then 9am. My longest day is from 9.30 - 3pm with one hour off.

2. We have blackboard and hardly any lecturer uses it. Those who do use it, its great :D Some lecturers email us presentations

3. Every module is different. There is certainly a CA and exams, but it varies from module to module. For some modules, you do work every week and your best answers are chosen for your CA, some others depend on an essay. It can get a bit confusing sometimes.

4. On the IADT website, under courses look at the English, Media and culture studies page. There's a list of the modules taught.

5. Because IADT is an art college, only EMCS students go to EMCS lectures/seminars. Well in first year anyway.

6. There would be more girls then boys I think but not majorly. It would be like 60/40

I hope that covered everything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

Hey. I'm in 2nd year of EMCS at the moment.

In 1st year, you usually get Friday off. I'm unsure why they didn't sort that this year. I had it off last year. I think 1st year was around 17-19 hours and yeah you won't be in later than 5! In 2nd year it's an 18 hour week. Bear in mind there is ALOT of reading and weekly coursework to be done for seminars. We use Blackboard. It wasn't used much in 1st year but it is used a lot this year. A new version of Blackboard is coming out next year and as far as I know it will have CA submission software on it so it will probably be used a lot more. CA is a big part of EMCS. Exams are held in January and May. In 1st year there is only 1 Christmas exam in January, in 2nd year there were 2 at Christmas. Like the previous poster said you can view a list of modules here.

The course take in around 60-80 but you will see a drop off of numbers. There is a good mix of guys and gals in the year. And no, you never have to share a lecture with another course. Often, talks and lectures are held in the college in which all students have the right to attend - talks from film directors for example would be of interest to both the film/tv courses and EMCS:D

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Your missing your WWW in the link

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

Your missing your WWW in the link

So?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ellen O123

Thanks very much crunchy friends and awesom_o! I really appreciate it.

I just thought of another question, is it possible for students to access past exam papers online or by other means to help them prepare for exams?

also, are the lecturers fairly friendly and helpful in general?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 cheesydoodles

Hey. I'm in 2nd year of EMCS at the moment.

In 1st year, you usually get Friday off. I'm unsure why they didn't sort that this year. I had it off last year. I think 1st year was around 17-19 hours and yeah you won't be in later than 5! In 2nd year it's an 18 hour week. Bear in mind there is ALOT of reading and weekly coursework to be done for seminars. We use Blackboard. It wasn't used much in 1st year but it is used a lot this year. A new version of Blackboard is coming out next year and as far as I know it will have CA submission software on it so it will probably be used a lot more. CA is a big part of EMCS. Exams are held in January and May. In 1st year there is only 1 Christmas exam in January, in 2nd year there were 2 at Christmas. Like the previous poster said you can view a list of modules here.

The course take in around 60-80 but you will see a drop off of numbers. There is a good mix of guys and gals in the year. And no, you never have to share a lecture with another course. Often, talks and lectures are held in the college in which all students have the right to attend - talks from film directors for example would be of interest to both the film/tv courses and EMCS:D
    Hey I noticed that you mentioned you were in 2nd year? Could you do me a giant favour and like email me or guesstimate what the first semester was like? I'm going into 2nd year on the 19th and desperately need to know what the timetable is before then to sort out hours in work. I'll probably be in group A again but whatever you have will be great.

Advertisement