Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are all the NI boardsies?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

My 2 cents from a Tyrone man exiled to Donegal.

I find in the ROI people care more about their county, Dubs will all stick together V the boggers of Kildare, everyone from Cork knows that its the real capital of Ireland and Kilkenny are the only team in Ireland capable of playing Hurling. Etc Etc

Things are slightly different in the North, I don't think there is that sense of camaradary about your county that you get in the South.

I started using Boards when I moved to Donegal as it was useful for the little changes, where to buy heating oil etc, I never felt the need to look elsewhere when i was in Tyrone.
    Oh and Btw the distance from my old house in Tyrone to my new one in Donegal is less than three mile.
    It just feels like a different country down here :D

Theblueirish

Ha ha boggers from Kildare but what beautiful boggers we are:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nhead wrote: »
    Yeah that is my point sorry if it wasn't clear I should have said most topics end up about politics or the political topics get hundreds of posts. There is a lot more of course, for me when I think about NI topics I think about musicians/bands such as SLF, The Undertones, Van,Therapy? Eric Bell, the late Gary Moore or writers such as McNeice, CS Lewis and the great comic writer Garth Ennis.

Hundred of posts but I'd say 15-20 hardened posters going round in circles.

AH eg. will probably have it's Republican/England thread every week but sure it's the same for Religion, politics or whatever. It's a shame that is the impression sent out, I try to avoid them but it was hard with the election.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

My 2 cents from a Tyrone man exiled to Donegal.

I find in the ROI people care more about their county, Dubs will all stick together V the boggers of Kildare, everyone from Cork knows that its the real capital of Ireland and Kilkenny are the only team in Ireland capable of playing Hurling. Etc Etc

Things are slightly different in the North, I don't think there is that sense of camaradary about your county that you get in the South.

I started using Boards when I moved to Donegal as it was useful for the little changes, where to buy heating oil etc, I never felt the need to look elsewhere when i was in Tyrone.
    Oh and Btw the distance from my old house in Tyrone to my new one in Donegal is less than three mile.
    It just feels like a different country down here :D

Theblueirish

can he get a ban for claiming cork is the real capital:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

can he get a ban for claiming cork is the real capital:pac:

Penis envy is a awful ailment, don't be comming up north looking to ban people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Maybe the people in NI are capable of making decisions by themselves.

They don't need to ask.....

help me name my dog

help me choose a car

help me choose a toothbrush

help me choose a way to another place

help me choos a holiday destination....etc etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If they're the only threads you see on boards you're looking in the wrong places! I'm sure capability isn't 'which side of the border you live on' dependent.

As for Cork well....I'm biased ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

old_aussie wrote: »
    Maybe the people in NI are capable of making decisions by themselves.

They don't need to ask.....

help me name my dog

help me choose a car

help me choose a toothbrush

help me choose a way to another place

help me choos a holiday destination....etc etc etc

If you find Boards this tedious why are you on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

They have all been Interned. ( this is nothing to do with what happened to Bill Clinton ).

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

I found boards when working down south. I know a few more who use it but it was only for the PSNI recruitment section.

Its boards.ie - people in NI (from both sides) default to .co.uk in everything from google to shopping sites. If you don't know about Boards and arent looking for it, then people have little reason or circumstance to come across it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 madraj55

<SNIP>

Mod edit: Please stay on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

madraj55 wrote: »
    <SNIP>

Mod edit: Please stay on topic.

:D I was about to reply with a 'WTF?!'...you saved me the bother :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

If you find Boards this tedious why are you on it?

For a laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Id say the .co.uk/.ie thing has a bit to do with it!

I think the constant BS all over the site during the election would have convinced people to leave the site. I know I was tempted. How many "shinner" threads, why are the Irish so crap, enda will fail, coalition will fail threads have we had lately? After hours used to be mildly entertaining, it is just irritating now.

owenc wrote: »
    Smaller population are you kiddin me! Nearly all the largest counties on this island by population are up here in fact half of them are. Some of the counties down south are the size of northern ireland and their population isn't even an eight the size of our population.:pac: I'd say people don't want to go on an irish forum or maybe northern ireland people don't use forums.. idk.. i'd say its the irish one..

They certainly do use forums, and quite a few used to use one in particular on BBC which up till last November was 'Talkback Message board'. Since it's demise, they have scattered to other forums like this one and politics.ie. also a couple of yuku forums called talknifans and debcenrevisited. I have been member of all of these at some point, myself, and can recommend them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

madraj55 wrote: »
    They certainly do use forums, and quite a few used to use one in particular on BBC which up till last November was 'Talkback Message board'. Since it's demise, they have scattered to other forums like this one and politics.ie. also a couple of yuku forums called talknifans and debcenrevisited. I have been member of all of these at some point, myself, and can recommend them.

Too much sectarian politics on both of them for me. Talknifans is very quiet - myself and one other guest on when I looked a few minutes ago. :(

Too much sectarian politics on both of them for me. Talknifans is very quiet - myself and one other guest on when I looked a few minutes ago. :(

I didn't intend to recommend Debcen. it is sectarian but TNF isn't although as you said, it's not getting much traction these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

owenc wrote: »
    Eh actually it is.. i presume you are a catholic so you really don't speak for the most of antrim as the most of antrim would be of the unionist majority so they would view this site totally differently to you. :pac: I know fine well its because its irish why else wouldn't they come lol...

Ok, so what the hell makes u think im Catholic?? and where the hell do you get off making assumptions on my faith based on what i said.

Not that it has a blind bit to do with you but I am a protestant and therefore by your logic I do speak for the majority of antrim.

I have spoken with a few of my friends about boards, both back in the north and in the south and the main reason i find for people in NI not using boards is cause of lack of knowledge about it.

Something you need to learn about the internet, so sit comfortable and i will give you a lesson.

When people search irish search engines (google.ie etc etc) then the links are mostly irish and quite a few post to boards, however when on a uk search engine (google.co.uk) they do not link back to sites like boards. Its called location aware searching and seeing as when you go to google.com in the north it re-directs to google.co.uk that is what most ppl in the north will be using and therefore not getting the exposure to boards.ie

As I have already said, i never knew about boards till i came to dublin and its due to the reason i posted above.

You seem to have an isight as to why they wont come here, wanna back it up with some sort of facts rather than "i know fine well its because its irish"

Think its time you wised up and realised that we are not all biggoted towards the south, tho appears that some gobsh!tes still have issues with the north, aint that right owenc

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

We can leave it at that and get back on topic again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Adverts.ie is the very same, the counties in Northern Ireland have very few ads compared to the least active county in the rest of Ireland. As mentioned by Axis, Location aware searching is almost certainly the reason for Northern Ireland people not being aware of Boards.IE

Advertisement