Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French document im really stuck :(

Options
  • 10-03-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

eek.gif Hey i just about to start preparing my french document now...but im really unsure as what to do for it confused.gif
    (i have to do one as im not very strong at french and would help having something prepared thats guarenteed)

i was thinking about doing addicitions or maybe about the arc de triamph....im not too sure tho...would really appriciate suggestions from anyone? it would be a great help biggrin.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Holly91 wrote: »
    eek.gif Hey i just about to start preparing my french document now...but im really unsure as what to do for it confused.gif
    (i have to do one as im not very strong at french and would help having something prepared thats guarenteed)

i was thinking about doing addicitions or maybe about the arc de triamph....im not too sure tho...would really appriciate suggestions from anyone? it would be a great help biggrin.gif

Addictons would probably be the stronger option . You could talk about how they affect peoples lives and what measures could be taken to help people . Arc de Triompe is very limited IMO .

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

My teacher has generally advised people to stay away from drugs and the "harder" stuff.

I am bringing in a piece of a French song as I am really into music. That might be an idea. It's a good idea to be different the majority of those doing documents bring in photos and stuff ....... But if you enjoy reading then bring in a short extract from a French novel or translated one. Music then bring in a chorus to a song. If you are sporty bring in a picture of your favourite sport. If the examiner sees something different they will be dying to find out what you know and they might give you more time to discuss it. Remember they ask for it at the beginning but don't talk about it till the end. .... And plus if you do something like music and say they ask you about your pastimes then you could be like my favourite past time is music, I am not very sporty. In fact my love for music is why I brought the document I brought......

But out of the two you picked I would gm for the arc personally....... There is a lot they can ask you like have you been to france, what do you think of it compared to Ireland, what did you like most, what did you think of the food their, do you like to travel, do you hope to travel...... You get the picture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

We were told to pick something that we ourselves were passionate about. I did mine on alchol so it was easy in thought but very hard to speak about it on the spot. Probably the only reason I didn't get an A in pass French :(

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I had my document prepared ages in advance and we did it during class time so a huge amount of preparation time was given over to it. What document did I bring into the exam in the end? Nothing.

On the day of the exam I brought it into school and was practicing with my french teacher and everything was going well I was speaking nice and quickly on topics from your house to the problem of drugs in society. Then he started to talk about my document and I really had nothing to say about it, no enthusiasm what so ever and it was actually hindering my performance. He advised me to leave it behind and it was the best advice because as soon as it went from normal questions even the more difficult ones to the document I just couldn't care less. I know I probably took 5 mins of the harder questions at the end but was able to answer them better than my document that just felt painfully boring.

All I'll say is just make sure you chose something that you're really interested in as you'll be spending quite some time with it, you don't want to be in my situation where you couldn't even be bothered with it on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

They can ask you about the document at any point during the oral.You could do a french film and prepare a bit on the main characters the plot what you found interesting about it and films in general

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Holly91

wow thanks for all you're advice guys was great help :)
    i think im decided on a picture about global warming etc...my teacher said its a great idea could be a little hard but it could be a good one (:
    and im quiet interested in all of that anyways so i hope it works out good :)

I am bringing in a piece of a French song as I am really into music. That might be an idea. It's a good idea to be different the majority of those doing documents bring in photos and stuff ....... But if you enjoy reading then bring in a short extract from a French novel or translated one. Music then bring in a chorus to a song. QUOTE]

i thought you were ment to bring in something that had no writing on it?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Holly91 wrote: »
    I am bringing in a piece of a French song as I am really into music. That might be an idea. It's a good idea to be different the majority of those doing documents bring in photos and stuff ....... But if you enjoy reading then bring in a short extract from a French novel or translated one. Music then bring in a chorus to a song. QUOTE]

i thought you were ment to bring in something that had no writing on it?:confused:

Nope you can bring in writing as long as it is French. The only problem I have is that they can ask you what any of the lines mean..... That's why I suggested to keep it short.

My teacher also said you can bring in a project or something in French...... If that makes sense. You just can't bring in anything physical like a football, just a page or a photo.

oh ok i was just making sure :D
    thanks .......:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 2517ais

Victoria. wrote: »
    I had my document prepared ages in advance and we did it during class time so a huge amount of preparation time was given over to it. What document did I bring into the exam in the end? Nothing.

On the day of the exam I brought it into school and was practicing with my french teacher and everything was going well I was speaking nice and quickly on topics from your house to the problem of drugs in society. Then he started to talk about my document and I really had nothing to say about it, no enthusiasm what so ever and it was actually hindering my performance. He advised me to leave it behind and it was the best advice because as soon as it went from normal questions even the more difficult ones to the document I just couldn't care less. I know I probably took 5 mins of the harder questions at the end but was able to answer them better than my document that just felt painfully boring.

All I'll say is just make sure you chose something that you're really interested in as you'll be spending quite some time with it, you don't want to be in my situation where you couldn't even be bothered with it on the day.
    yes i can completely see where you're comin from..! I've tryin to prepare my dcoument for the last while and i feel no motivation about it whatsoever. Always in my school no one has done a document...and all received brillant results...but this year we've a new teacher and we're doin documents..! My standard of spoken french is very good (3 weeks in french college two summers in a row really really helps!) . I've been contemplating this for the last two days..but after Victoria.'s comment i think i'm goin to ditch the document and just go for all general conversation...because i have no motivation whatsoever to learn off a load of BS....because it HAS to be so obvious to examiners when your general conversation is average enough and the when it comes to the document your level goes through the roof...that you've learned it all off...and is that really a true reflection of your ability in spoken french???!

And don't get me started on the people who get their grinds teachers to write out their document for them...>:(!!!

• Advertisement

id just like to say it wouldnt be that obvious if u have prepared your oral work really well and then you would still have a good standard if you keep working at it....the leaving cert is all bascially about learning things off word for word in practically every subject...and if u go in to your oral and you have everything learned off (even if you dont understand it) and speel it all out to the examiner then your guarenteed a good grade.so anyone who is good at learning pages of things off then they bound to do a great leaving cert. its not really fair in a way though....:)

Advertisement