Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird clicking sound from bike?

• 10-03-2011 11:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, as the title says.
    There is kinda clicking sound coming from my bandit when i accelerate.
    Its kinda hard to narrow down exactly where its coming from as it only happens when im driving, the best i can tell is its under me, rather than towards the front or back of the bike.

It kinda sounds like something hitting the chain maybe?
    Im also seeing a bit of oil leaking from the bike after its been parked up for a few hours.

Anyone any ideas or is that all a little too vague? :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

When was the chain and sprockets changed last? Maybe they need to be changed? Maybe the chain needs to be adjusted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I had a new chain and sprockets on less than 1000km ago.
    Chain is still tight.

I put the bike on the bottom stand, slapped it into gear and the sound is there alright, but not too loud. It gets an awful lot louder and faster as i accelerate while actually driving.

Tis a strange one!

goodlad wrote: »
    I had a new chain and sprockets on less than 1000km ago.
    Chain is still tight.

I put the bike on the bottom stand, slapped it into gear and the sound is there alright, but not too loud. It gets an awful lot louder and faster as i accelerate while actually driving.

Tis a strange one!

But is it TOO tight?

Tis a strange one alright...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Have you had a good look at the sprockets and chain?

Put it on centre stand and spin the wheel (engine off) if it is the chain or sprocket you should zone in pretty quick. Did you fix the lock tab back on the front sprocket nut?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

Check your chain for a tight spot / link

• Advertisement

Cheers for the replies guys.
    I probs should word things better, i didnt actually put the chain and sprockets on myself, i had it done in a bike shope near me.

I will get it back up on the main stand as soon as i get a min and see if i can zone in on the issue a bit better.

Good idea to see if i can hear it with the engine off.
    Will let ya know what i can hear anyways.

Cheers for the replies guys.
    I probs should word things better, i didnt actually put the chain and sprockets on myself, i had it done in a bike shope near me.

No disrespect to whoever did it for you, but just because they did it in a shop/garage, doesn't mean they're infallible! I had as similar problem when I got the C&S changed where I bought the bike and did a trip around the country with my wife on the back. Similar to you, I could hear a clicking noise. I couldn't figure it out and it got progressively worse.

I took the bike to another shop and he rang me....horrified. He said the C&S that were put on were not suitable for the bike and the links were starting to split/pull away from the pins. My bike is 1000cc and the chain that was put on was fine up to 400cc as anything above that, the chain wouldn't have been able to deal with the power. (The mechanics words, not mine)

Anyway, when I changed the C&S the problem disappeared and the guy who f**ked me over got a slap in the chops for his troubles.

Hope you get sorted chief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

camchain, or tappet noise more likely imo

Wossack wrote: »
    camchain, or tappet noise more likely imo

I really should learn more about bikes, you might aswell be speaking german to me :rolleyes:

Maybe looking into this myself aint a great idea. Might have to drop it over to a bike shop. Was just hoping to avoid the expense but it seems i wont sort this myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'd drop it in to a bike shop to have them sort the leak anyway, and then have them check the noise while you have it there

depending on mileage, it might be due a valve clearance is all

oil level is ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Chain too tight/worn link or Camshaft chain tensioner

Yeah man the oil level is grand, i put it onto the main stand and the window is still 3/4 full.

Will drop the bike over to a shop next week sure.
    Now here is a possibly stupid question, most people seem to think its possible the tensioner or the chain being a bit too tight.

I just double checked the chain and im happy that its not too tight.
    So if it is the tensioner should i be off the road with the bike till its fixed or should i be alright on it as long as i get the problem looked at soon?

EDIT: I called the local bike shop, he is collecting the bike from the house tomorrow for me as he recommends i would be mental to drive it, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ryan_G

Im also seeing a bit of oil leaking from the bike after its been parked up for a few hours.

Is it oil or petrol leaking? i had a similar problem where the float in the petrol tank wz fooked, and when i had it not running, on its stand, i would notice little drops on the ground after a while. Just got that fixed and it wz sound, only a small problem

Ryan_G wrote: »
    Is it oil or petrol leaking? i had a similar problem where the float in the petrol tank wz fooked, and when i had it not running, on its stand, i would notice little drops on the ground after a while. Just got that fixed and it wz sound, only a small problem

Im sure its oil and not petrol.
    Well its getting collected from the house tomorrow and taken off to get looked at. God damn bike has has so many little problems since i got it, its looking like time to change to something newer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 YCHGTBOY

Clicking indicates a metallic sound?

If the chain was overtight it would make a grinding noise..a tight spot may be the cause of a click...and extra stress on the output shaft may cause the engine to leak oil....

Best to have a competent mechaic have a look over the bike :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

Could be something as simple as not enough chain lube on the chain.
    When did ya last lube it? This really needs to be done every time you ride it
    in the rain.

Ah yeah man i keep a can of chain lube in the back box, tis always sorted.
    Well i have it in getting looked, my local bike shop collected the bike from the house for me.

Sure once he has a look and susses out the problem i will update the thread with the findings.

I heard back just there about the bike.

Im ****e at remembering what people tell me! haha

The jist of it is, there is an emissions yoke on the bike and the gasket with it blew. There was a missing bolt r something on it aswell. So the gasket got sorted and the clicking is gone now.

Im assuming you guys who have a clue about the workings of a bike will understand! hehe

Advertisement