Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Evergreen Hedging for a Wet Location

Options
  • 10-03-2011 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, folks.

My Grisillinia hedging died a death this past winter. Believe it or not it had thrived in a largely wet environment. Can anyone advise/recommend an evergreen h reasonably quick growing hedge that would grow well in a wet area. The location is the back border of my site which runs along a busy road. Draining is not an option.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Sorry to hear another hedge gone but Griselinia got the lard knocked out of it most everywhere over the last two winters.

When you say wet you can hardly mean frogs spawn territory if your Griselinia lasted there I'm guessing constantly damp not a swamp??

These will grow in damp conditions;

Hornbeam (deciduos but holds it's leaves like beech).

Thuja/Western Red Cedar (well mannered evergreen likes a bit of moist soil and much preferred over the leylandii weed).

Laurels would also do the job though spotted is not a favourite of mine in the pruning dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Thanks for that, Antiquo. You are correct in assuming that that it is constantly damp, or soggy in the winter months. Not a swamp.

Advertisement