Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what would you need

• 11-03-2011 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

What do you need to open a boarding kennels , as in do you need a licence,,there is presumably insurance to be had,,is there anything else?? (Besides a place of course:D)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I'm sure you'd have to make some sort of application to the local council for change of use to the property. I think you have to place adverts in local papers to allow people to object as there might be pontential noise pollution. I'd be asking my local council and the regional enterprise board for advice on what is needed as it probably varies depending on where you are. There may also be some sort of financial support available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

You need a kennel license, which is 2 or 3 hundred euro a year I think.

Insurance.

And probably to have no neighbours near you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

You need a kennel license, which is 2 or 3 hundred euro a year I think.

Insurance.

And probably to have no neighbours near you!

There is no such thing as a kennel license here, there are no checks carried out on boarding kennels. You should buy a general dog licence, €253 but again, there is some debate about whether you legally need one, if the dogs' owners have their own licences.

Get in touch with the IBKCA, its an organisation that was set up to try and bring standards into boarding for cats and dogs here, they will be able to help you with how to do things properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Thanks for the replies,,its all up in the air at the moment as we are thinking of moving a bit more countryside and the three places we're looking at have plenty of space (and no neighbours ):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My big plan when I win the lotto is to move into the countryside and open kennels combined with a rescue centre :D

I have it all planned out in my head, just need my numbers to come up now :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

My big plan when I win the lotto is to move into the countryside and open kennels combined with a rescue centre :D

I have it all planned out in my head, just need my numbers to come up now :p

Well, due to family circumstances, my place is going on the market, so you don't need that much - house, kennels, barns, 2.2 acres of fully fenced to husky height land:D Sea views:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Money. lol if you can buy a property that is already well set up comfortably for dogs it would probably be cheaper than buying a blank canvas.

Things like fencing, heating and lighting system, access to water/hoses, buildings, a utility area for preparing food etc. but most of all people who put their dogs in kennels are looking for someone who knows and loves all dogs and that's the most important for most dog owners is saftey/fencing and time for each dog.

You don't need to be so isolated that you have no neighbours though, kennel I've used had neighbours around but saying that it was mostly farmers but finding somewhere in the countryside with space but near enough to a good 24 hour vet can be tricky.

A lot of people these days are looking to send their dogs somewhere more homey mabey one on one as well, if you have no dogs yourself it can be easier because some dogs don't get on if you were to do it small scale at first and see how you go.
    As my dogs get older I'm more reluctant to put them into larger kennels, although the one I use is excellent they have become more needy as they get older so a smaller scale more one on one time is great to have and a lot of people are looking for that nowdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

ISDW wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a kennel license here, there are no checks carried out on boarding kennels. You should buy a general dog licence, €253 but again, there is some debate about whether you legally need one, if the dogs' owners have their own licences.
    QUOTE]

That's what I meant, just called it a kennel license :D

Advertisement