Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teaching young people to bake

Options
  • 11-03-2011 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all,

I run a youth club in South Dublin and the kids (14-16) are interested in being taught to bake. Anyone any ideas on where I might find a cookery/bakery teacher who would teach a class (1 hour session) or maybe if somebody is interested in taking it on please PM me
    We provide all materials & basically we just want to teach them (group of about 20) to bake something nice & simple (limited kitchen facilities) -maybe cookies/ brownies & then let them off to try out their new skills !

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I'm going to be totally boring here and say scones or cookies, but, what you do with that is up to you. Both are simple and extremely versatile.
    I recently made Orange and chocolate chip cookies and lemon and ginger scones. They were dynamite.
    Some home made soda breads are always a treat too. Everyone eats and loves bread, especially home made. Again, experimenting with the flavours is fun.

I'd choose a simple, versatile baked good.

If you need any recipes or are interested, I'll dig up the posts from here and link you.

I'm pretty young myself, I'll be 20 in a months time, but I have recently gotten into baking after years of dabbling.
    There are some amazing people on here who make some really impressive dishes and baked goods, so hold out for another while and I'm sure you'll get some great ideas!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You could put up ads in local places or papers maybe?
    I know my godson went to a cookery school over his midterm (he's 10) and he loved it!
    Might as my friend (his mother) the name/number, perhaps they might have people who would be interested to teach?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

I would so like to do that but I am 4 hrs drive away :(

I would love to teach young people to bake, there is such a great renewed interest in cooking and baking especially and it would be great to nurture this. I used to spend hours teaching my younger brother to bake years ago, his motivation though was always so he eat the goodies but he still learned and has turned out a very good cook much to his wife's delight.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

The home economics teacher in the local school might help out, but ask around the community someone's mam, gran or aunt can surely bake. With a group of 20 it might be best to stick with simple things like buns, scones, biscuits - at least then they could all try it out; can't imagine trying to bake 20 cakes at once would be a good idea in a limited kitchen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Goodne wrote: »
    can't imagine trying to bake 20 cakes at once would be a good idea in a limited kitchen!!

Hopefully a bit of pairing if they attempted it anyway! :pac:

Totally agree, anyone can bake. You should have seen me 2 years ago, would burn water! A nice good, simple and easy to follow recipe, a bit of patience and you're golden! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

all the baking suggestions sound great, homemade soup is always good with homemade soda bread and can be made while the bread is baking not to mention economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭smallgarden

bakingwise

- all in one - buns/chocolate cake
    - rubbing in - scones/crumbles
    - creaming - buns
    - whisking - sponge/swiss roll
    - melting - gingerbread
    - no bake - chocolate biscuit cake

very few things would you get made,baked and cleaned up in an hour.if pick small items theyll cook quicker or things that dont take long to cook

all in one buns/fairy cakes
    drop scones (like little pancakes)
    rock buns
    fatless sponge/swiss roll - cooks much quicker than all in one cake

cooking in pairs or in threes is best bet for large group with limited space.check oven shelves to see how much items you can get in them.top ovens arent great so dont rely on them if possible.
    soup takes ages as youd be surprised how long it takes for people to chop vegetables for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 thehunkychef

I am delighted to see that you have decided to teach young people about cooking. Its an invaluable lesson in life and should be mandatory in schools. Young people would get so much back from this there is nothing better than the sense of achievment after cooking something fantastic. I may be able to help you depending on when you wish to hold your class. Originally from dublin and I do return from time from time.
    Im a trainee chef in a multi award winning hotel in Mayo. Be qualified soon. If i could get the time i could possibly help you out. PM me! :p

Advertisement