Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 Hour pharmacy Dublin City Centre?

Options
  • 11-03-2011 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Arlght lads, I'm in serious need of a 24 hour pharmacy in the city centre...Any ideas?? Urgent business here...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Is there not one on dame st beside dame st medical centre?
    If not 24 hour it opens til midnight I think?
    I'm now in canada so follow this advice at your peril

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Just tell her to wash out her fanny with a bottle of coke. Cheaper then the morning after pill.

EDIT: uh oh.. this isn't in AH anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

theres no 24hr pharmacies in ireland the odd one is open till 10pm but thats the latest as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Moved from After Hours.

Sorry about the above mods but it was posted as i was moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Would you not try 11811 (or whatever the Hell it is). I asked for a pizza place that would be opened at 2am and they got one. They might grab one for a pharmacy.

A few years ago they stopped: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/crime-in-the-capital-shuts-all-of-the-24hour-pharmacies-137886.html

If it's that important just go to the feckin' A&E. Worse thing that happens is you get laughed outta there. It's still better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I vaguely remember reciting fun bobs "Did you know there is no a single hardware store open after 9pm in Manhattan?" only replacing it with Pharmacies when we couldn't find eye drops one night.

so yea... they all suck and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Possibly one in a hospital? James's maybe?

Just to add to my above post, if it's just like Lemsip or something along them lines a Petrol station or 24 hour shop might be able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Just to add to my above post, if it's just like Lemsip or something along them lines a Petrol station or 24 hour shop might be able to help.

Yeah, a few of the bigger places might have the smaller stuff. But no proper chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Any 24 Hour pharmacy in Dublin open now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Any 24 Hour pharmacy in Dublin open now?

They are not allowed. They have to close by 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 82,629 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What a basket case country if there's laws not allowing them to open past 10pm, joke of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Lloyds Pharmacy

8, The Mall, Donnybrook Rd, Donnybrook, Dublin 4, Ireland

Hours:

Monday 9AM–12AM
    Tuesday 9AM–12AM
    Wednesday 9AM–12AM
    Thursday 9AM–12AM
    Friday 9AM–12AM
    Saturday 9AM–12AM
    Sunday 11AM–8PM

Hope this helps some one. :)

What a basket case country if there's laws not allowing them to open past 10pm, joke of a place.

In Germany, Italy, Austria etc there is usually a pharmacy in the town or city that you can get 247 service at a hatch at night. You have to pay a service charge for it like €2

The realist in me thinks there would be uproar if a pharmacist was charging for an after hours service. We live in a nation of entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are not allowed. They have to close by 10pm

Entirely untrue. Did you hear that somewhere or make it up?

There are none anymore as they kept getting robbed - there were a few. There's already a 12pm example given here but there are others.

L1011 wrote: »
    Entirely untrue. Did you hear that somewhere or make it up?

There are none anymore as they kept getting robbed - there were a few. There's already a 12pm example given here but there are others.

I thought the Government introduced laws that they had to be closed by 10pm. Regardless of law or no law. Having a single pharmacy open until 12pm in a city of 1.3m people is a bit bizarre.

I have been to cashless pharmacies in continental Europe. Why can't they be cashless here? Refuse to dispense high risk drugs or use an automated machine like in the US? Or have a hatch in the wall like petrol stations?

Did they make any effort to change their business to accommodate the higher risk? You don't see banks getting robbed much anymore as they used their head and put in proper security features.

I would imagine there would be no added risk of opening 24/7 if they actually took the proper precautions ie going cashless or not dispensing certain drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I thought the Government introduced laws that they had to be closed by 10pm.

They did - for off licences! Not pharmacies. Why would they have?
    I have been to cashless pharmacies in continental Europe. Why can't they be cashless here? Refuse to dispense high risk drugs or use an automated machine like in the US? Or have a hatch in the wall like petrol stations?

No business in Ireland can go cashless yet as too many people use cash and a sizeable number of people do not even have payment cards.

Once the high risk drugs are on the premises there isn't much you can do if someone comes in to get them. Having them in a timecoded seperate room or something is an insane infrastructure cost. Hatch in the wall is infrastructure costs - not even possible in the buildings most pharmacies are in.

Automated machine would not be legal - many more drugs are available without a pharmacist involved in the US than here.
    I
    Did they make any effort to change their business to accommodate the higher risk? You don't see banks getting robbed much anymore as they used their head and put in proper security features.

They did, and that;s why they closed. Not financially viable for the limited profits available that late. Banks can't operate at all without security; its much less of an issue for pharmacies during the day.
    I
    I would imagine there would be no added risk of opening 24/7 if they actually took the proper precautions ie going cashless or not dispensing certain drugs.

None of the ones you've proposed are even vaguely practical, so no, there is going to be a risk.

Out of the way a bit, but Boots in Roselawn Shopping Centre D15 open till midnight Mon-Fri. It's a hack after 9pm afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

IIRC they stopped opening late at night because they couldn't get reasonable instance cover. There was an attempt to get the HSE to insure a single pharmacy in each area (on a rotating basis) but nothing came of it.

Also FWIW, Rockfield at Balally Luas is open 8am to 10pm 365 days a year. Across the road, McCabes in Dundrum TC is open till 11pm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

On the northside, Corrigan's on the Malahide Road, at the junction with Griffith Avenue (not far past Marino) are open 8.00am to 10.00pm Monday to Sat and 10.30am to 7.00pm on Sundays,

• Advertisement
Advertisement