Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 or 6 gang extension lead with RCD protection??

Options
  • 11-03-2011 12:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to get a 4 gang/4 plug or even a 6 plug extension lead with a form of RCD/anti surge protection on it.

Its for my aquariam.

Does anyone where is best and cheapst place to get 1.Would any of the electrical wholesalers have this in stock?

I saw some 4 and 6 gang anti surge extension leads in the Argos catalogue,but am a bit wary as to whether they are just crappy useless makes and brands??

Need it asap too,as I have to tidy us the mess of wires at the back and side of the tank.

I have the following things for the aquariam.............

1 x large Eheim 600 litre external water filter/pump
    2 x 300W Elite heaters.
    1 x T5 tube light system
    1 x 24 hour timer (T5 lights and C02 sprayer)
    1 x Pro-Flora Digital PH and C02 sprayer/injection system

So thats 6 plugs,so actually I do need a 6 gang RCD/anti surge extension lead.

Where can I get a decent brand 6 gang extension lead with RCD protection??

Thanks.:)

Comments

paddy147 wrote: »
    Looking to get a 4 gang/4 plug or even a 6 plug extension lead with a form of RCD/anti surge protection on it.

Its for my aquariam.

Does anyone where is best and cheapst place to get 1.Would any of the electrical wholesalers have this in stock?

I saw some 4 gang anti surge extension leads in the Argos catalogue,but am a bit wary as to whether they are just crappy useless makes and brands??

Need it asap too,as I have to tidy us the mess of wires at the back and side of the tank.

How about one of these
    TLARCD.JPG

with this* plugged into it
    LB0592.JPG

*Or some other model of 6 way surge protected multi-strip.

Argos sell a plug in RCD adaptor but i'd recommend going to a wholesaler for a better choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

shaaane wrote: »
    How about one of these
    TLARCD.JPG

with this* plugged into it
    LB0592.JPG

*Or some other model of 6 way surge protected multi-strip.

Argos sell a plug in RCD adaptor but i'd recommend going to a wholesaler for a better choice.

Looked at the various anti surge 6 gang leads in the Argos catalogue but I dont know whether thay are cheap/useless makes,also they werent that good on price either.

So hense me asking here,on this forum.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

IMO I wouldn't bother did you not hear the ESB is going on strike :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I dont see much advantage in having an RCD on the extension lead if your plugging it into a socket that already has RCD protection. Any fault is likely to trip both RCD`s anyway, unless you get one rated down at 10ma or something. And even then it still may trip both, but might give some discrimination though. But a 30ma one wont really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Its for my aquariam.

Does your aquariam have a lot of very sensitive equipment in it? Or are you just worried cause it contains water?

(I'm trying to avoid the "plenty more fish in the sea pun" ) :D

• Advertisement

Does your aquariam have a lot of very sensitive equipment in it? Or are you just worried cause it contains water?

(I'm trying to avoid the "plenty more fish in the sea pun" ) :D

Wont make much difference really. Most items in the tank are probably 12v type stuff. But either way, an RCD at the socket feeding the tank wont make much difference to the one already on the sockets, as now its just 2 RCDs in series, unless a 10ma one is used at the socket in question. So if paddy is going to use a seperate one, i would think it needs to be 10ma, or else just dont bother using one.

Even the ones for electric lawn mowers really are not needed if the house has an RCD covering the sockets, the only advantage some of them have is the ones you need to reset if there is a power cut, so people are not looking at blades etc if the power goes, and then it comes back on.

If you are going to get one anyway paddy, i would think myself the 10ma rated one would be what you want. I could be corrected, but cant see much advantage of having a 30ma one plugged in, as you already have one, unless you have a spur wired to the location with no RCD protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

there isn't discrimination without time-delay upstream

you might be looking to avoid loss of power here-10ma won't help that anyhow

i'm not too familiar with this stuff

M cebee wrote: »
    there isn't discrimination without time-delay upstream

you might be looking to avoid loss of power here-10ma won't help that anyhow

i'm not too familiar with this stuff

No thats true alright, all 10ma will do is be more sensitive, not really needed. Even a 300ma upstream one for tt systems uses the time-delay exactly like you say.

not familiar with this equipment

but pumps and heaters -assuming it requires rcd and maintaining power is important

rcbo and alarm via n/c contactor (wired off rcbo)

is prob best

be a right nuisance -a shared rcd when you have a major problem

• Advertisement

Probably 2 x 2 x 5 foot tank or something around that size. Just plug the surge protection extension lead straight in anyway. A water temperature alarm would be all that would be critical in a short time probably, if its a heated aquarium.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

slightly off topic
    we do an rcd plugtop that you hardwire to the lead as opposed to a single adaptor. if one of these is hardwired onto a 4 gang ext socket will it protect all 4 sockets propperly.

Why do it though, if a house already has RCD protected sockets.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Probably 2 x 2 x 5 foot tank or something around that size. Just plug the surge protection extension lead straight in anyway. A water temperature alarm would be all that would be critical in a short time probably, if its a heated aquarium.

ya- that would be better if it's water temp that's critical

better protection that way

plug it in:D

Its a 5,5 feet long 500 litre tank and the plants and fish that we are going to be keeping (java,discus,congo tetras) need a certain and constant water temp and also need the water filtration and the CO2 injection to thrive and be happy.;)

Some of the devices are sensitive,

The tank is now empty again,and its going to be fully planted up tomorrow afternoon.

My bath is currently full of water with lots of aquariam plants in it,and is heated to 27 degrees C and I also have 2 new 100 litre plastic waste bins in my living room with fresh mains cold water,that is being heated up to 27 degrees C at the moment via 2 heaters.

The water has to be pre heated to around 25-27 degrees C before it can be put into the tank,otheriwze the plants and fish would go into shock from the temp drop of the cold water.:(

Had a quick look in Woodies this evening,and saw a few 6 gang extension leads with anti surge protection,but they wated 25-30 euro for a lead.

So what do your guys recommend then for an extension lead??

What type of extension lead and where to get it??

Maybe you could fit a surge protector to the MCB board. Im not sure how much these are. If it was me i`d just plug it straight into all into a standard lead. Does not seem too expensive for that lead in woodies. Did you try any wholesalers?

Maybe you could fit a surge protector to the MCB board. Im not sure how much these are. If it was me i`d just plug it straight into all into a standard lead. Does not seem too expensive for that lead in woodies. Did you try any wholesalers?

I never got to any of the wholesalers,as my lovely girlfriend drove me to various pet stores and aquariam shops to buy special soil and nutriant for the tank,also spent out more money on more plants too.Hadnt planned to,but got roped into it,as you know.

Women seem to have a great nack for this type of thing and buying things,that "you" didnt expect to be buying.;):pac::pac:

I have 2 double sockets where the tank is.

The socket to the left of the pic and also a double socket on the right,where the external filter and pump is located.

just thinking out loud here

1 x 6 gang socket or 2 x 3 gang anti surge sockets pluged into each of the wall sockets???:confused:

decisions decisions>

Its all the same really, except 1 6 gang surge lead would probably be cheaper than 2 3 gang ones. And an aquarium would be only a small load, so a 6 gang would be no problem in that regard.

don't know too much on surge protection

but i think it's recommended to fit protection at the consumer unit and the multilead

• Advertisement

but i think it's recommended to fit protection at the consumer unit and the multilead

Its a rennovation and extension/new build house,so it has brand new wiring and consumer board,so its protected.:)

When you say multi lead,you mean a normal extension lead??

I presume that anti surge lead is better than a bog standard lead?

Its a rennovation and extension/new build house,so it has brand new wiring and consumer board,so its protected.:)

When you say multi lead,you mean a normal extension lead??

I presume that anti surge lead is better than a bog standard lead?

Surge protection just protects against voltage spikes, usually to protect electronic equipment. Thats why i think an aquarium probably does not need it that much. A newly built house would not have surge protection as standard.

I bet ye know more than most of us:)

Surge protection just protects against voltage spikes, usually to protect electronic equipment. Thats why i think an aquarium probably does not need it that much. A newly built house would not have surge protection as standard.

So an anti surge extension lead is the way to go then??

Yes for aquarium stuff its probably not even needed. So the 6 way lead with surge protection would be more than enough.

Thanks.:D

Right,went and bought 2 x 4 gang anti surge extension leads today and I also bought 2 timers too (1 for the T5 lights and 1 for the CO2 injection system)

Can I ask this now,the lead that came with the CO2 injection kit is a european 2 pin lead,can I cut this off and wire on a normal 3 pin plug instead??

Or is that 2 pin power lead a special lead?

a UPS is prob another option -standby power,surge and voltage regulation

a UPS is prob another option -standby power,surge and voltage regulation

Where would I get a UPS from and what sort of money are we talking about?

Also what are they like,size wize?

• Advertisement

I was goin to mention a UPS originally, but for an aquarium that size, its probably overkill. Unless your one of the fish anyway.

Advertisement