Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motorised valve, switch?

Options
  • 11-03-2011 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

hi all,
    i recently installed a motorised valve to turn on and off my hot water,
    just wondering is it possible to wire this through a switch rather than a tank stat? and if so, how, what type of switch do i do with the stat wire coming off the valve?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Any switch will do the job. A typical one way light switch, for example. There is a cable going to your stat, which is broken and connected to the stat terminals. Rather than connect them to the stat terminals you would connect them to the switch terminals. Don't forget to turn off power before doing any work.

Why not incorporate both a switch and a stat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea with the hot water cylinder its a good idea to leave the stat in, so a switch in series with it would be the best idea like jeepers said there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Yes it is possible. Done on mine because the plumbers are lazy
    . But its not the correct way. Just bear that in mind as it does contribute although small to your ber rateing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

thanks for all the help/advice,might look into the stat later.
    for now i just need to know to which cable coming out of the valve i put the switch on (theres five of them).
    its a sauter valve, any help greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

brown-live
    blue -neutral
    green/yellow-earth
    orange and grey are auxilary(unused)

• Advertisement

kramer1 wrote: »
    hi all,
    i recently installed a motorised valve to turn on and off my hot water,
    just wondering is it possible to wire this through a switch rather than a tank stat? and if so, how, what type of switch do i do with the stat wire coming off the valve?

Is the valve working through a tank stat at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

thank you

A properly setup system does use the grey and orange wires to bring on the boiler when the motorised valves open. Doesnt sound like they will be used in this case though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

There`s a buzzing/humming sound coming from my hot press, I`m pretty sure its coming from what I think is the motorised valve.
    Now it does`nt usually make the noise its making now, at least not for this long a period, it used to be quiet, its never been touched.
    Is this buzzing/humming noise normal?
    I`ve had the heating for for the last few days but its still there.

Any advice would be great, cheers!

Edit: I just turned down the thermostat all the way, the minute I turned it down I heard the humming/buzzing stop, I went up and the light is off on the motorised valve.
    In what way are these to connected, or are they?
    What was the motorised valve trying to do, since the heating was off?

Sorry for all the novice questions, I just want to get my head around this...:)

lewis wrote: »
    There`s a buzzing/humming sound coming from my hot press, I`m pretty sure its coming from what I think is the motorised valve.
    Now it does`nt usually make the noise its making now, at least not for this long a period, it used to be quiet, its never been touched.
    Is this buzzing/humming noise normal?
    I`ve had the heating for for the last few days but its still there.

Any advice would be great, cheers!

Edit: I just turned down the thermostat all the way, the minute I turned it down I heard the humming/buzzing stop, I went up and the light is off on the motorised valve.
    In what way are these to connected, or are they?
    What was the motorised valve trying to do, since the heating was off?

Sorry for all the novice questions, I just want to get my head around this...:)

The motorised valve is controlled by the thermostat, and it may well operate with the boiler actually off, depending on how the system is wired.

The proper way they operate is the stat switches the valve on or off, and in doing so it allows the water to circulate to whatever zone that valve is controlling ( either rads upstairs, downstairs, or the hot water cylinder), or stops the water circulating to its zone. The valve also has a switch in it which turns the boiler on as it opens to allow the water to flow to its zone. If the stat and motorised valve are powered from a circuit and not from the boilers own main switch, then even with the boiler off, the stat and zone valve can operate, which shouldnt be a problem.

The motorised valve itself is probably causing the humming or buzzing, they usually dont though except when actually opening or closing. It will probably be ok though if it is actually opening fully and is not jammed.

Try turning on the stat, and listen, and the valve should make a sort of motor/small gearbox running sort of sound straight away, and see is it this same noise that continues, or does it change to a buzzing noise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The motorised valve is controlled by the thermostat, and it may well operate with the boiler actually off, depending on how the system is wired.

The proper way they operate is the stat switches the valve on or off, and in doing so it allows the water to circulate to whatever zone that valve is controlling ( either rads upstairs, downstairs, or the hot water cylinder), or stops the water circulating to its zone. The valve also has a switch in it which turns the boiler on as it opens to allow the water to flow to its zone. If the stat and motorised valve are powered from a circuit and not from the boilers own main switch, then even with the boiler off, the stat and zone valve can operate, which shouldnt be a problem.

The motorised valve itself is probably causing the humming or buzzing, they usually dont though except when actually opening or closing. It will probably be ok though if it is actually opening fully and is not jammed.

Try turning on the stat, and listen, and the valve should make a sort of motor/small gearbox running sort of sound straight away, and see is it this same noise that continues, or does it change to a buzzing noise.

Alrite man, I had turned the stat off earlier and as I was turning it down I heard the humming/buzzing switch off.
    So I have the stat off at the moment, its weird because it did1nt used to be like this, its only in the last week or so, I`m glad I found a way to turn it off, at least this way I can decide what to do, either get the whole lot wired as one or live with it as it is.

Advertisement