Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anton Hysen Reveals That He's Gay

• 11-03-2011 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Some of you may not have heard him, but I'm sure Liverpool and Sunderland fans have as he's the son of former Liverpool player Glenn Hysen and brother of ex-Sunderland player Tobias Hysen.

Anton plays for a 4th division Swedish side, but despite that this story is gaining lots of publicity and he had this to say:
    I may not play in the top flight, but I want to show that it doesn't have to be a big deal," Hysén told the magazine, calling on his fellow gay footballers to take a stand for tolerance.

The Swedish Football Association welcomed Hysén's stand, expressing a hope that more gay footballers would be encouraged to talk openly about their sexuality.

”I think this is very positive. It was about time – it is part of society and it must be normal and should be nothing out of the ordinary,” Susanne Erlandsson, vice chairperson of the Swedish Football Association, told The Local on Thursday.

While several gay female footballers and other sports personalities have spoken openly about their sexuality, Anton Hysén is the first male Swedish footballer to do so and he admitted that his coming out could affect his chances of a return to the top flight.

”There are many people who can't handle homosexuals. And there are racists who can't handle immigrants. It may happen that a club shows interest and then the trainer finds out that I am gay. But that is their problem, not mine,” he told Offside.

Ulrika Westerlund at the Swedish Federation for Lesbian Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Rights (Riksförbundet för homosexuellas, bisexuellas och transpersoners rättigheter - RFSL) concurred that homophobia, like racism, remains a barrier within sport in Sweden and that Hysén's stand could only help to break these down.

"I would say that there are a great number of young boys out there who will see Anton as a role model today - he has shown that you can be gay and be a skilful footballer," she told The Local on Thursday.

Hysén, who currently plies his trade with division two team Utsiktens BK in Sweden's fourth tier, received the full public support of his father, former Gothenburg, Liverpool and Fiorentina stalwart Glenn Hysén.

"This is very courageous. This is the most normal thing in the world these days," Hysén, who now works as a commentator and pundit, told the Aftonbladet newspaper.

Glenn Hysén is himself seen as something of a role model for tolerance in sport, after he featured as opening speaker at the Stockholm Pride festival in 2007.

His appearance was however controversial when it had emerged that he had punched a gay man in the face after he was approached in a Frankfurt airport toilet in 2001.

"Glenn Hysén is a machoman who is on an LGBT journey. He has previously expressed himself very controversially, but today he thinks about LGBT issues," Sofia Sjöö, president of Stockholm Pride, said in defence of his recruitment at the time.

While Anton Hysén's famous father has been given credit for coming a long way in his attitudes to homosexuality, some reactions to his own frank declaration have shown that homophobia remains a problem within football.

Major Swedish football website fotbollskanalen.se, which is operated by national TV channel TV4, was forced to shut off its comments function on Wednesday after a wave of insults greeted the news of the young player's interview.

While the Swedish Football Association lamented the reactions, Susanne Erlandsson said that attitudes are changing.

”This is naturally sad to hear. But just as with music artists, when one comes out, more will follow and it won't be so dramatic,” she told The Local, adding that the association works continually to tackle prejudice in sport.

”We have it written into our constitution that all are welcome regardless of race, gender, sexuality. We work continually with our basic values and will continue to do so,” she said.

Glenn Hysén also warned that it is likely that both Anton and his older brother, former Sunderland striker Tobias, can expect to be the target of some derision and insults from the terrraces, and even from team mates within the dressing-room.

”There is quite a special lingo there. There are jokes about gays, jews and negroes and so on,” he said adding,”but it'll calm down pretty fast, this is the most normal thing in the world these days".

Ulrika Westerlund however told The Local that not enough is being done to effect change and was in no doubt where the responsibility for change lies.

"The responsibility is never with the individual, if they wish to come out about their sexuality that has to be their own choice; the responsibility lies with the trainers and those in leadership positions within the sports world."

"They have to show that the dressing room attitudes referred to by Glenn Hysén are not acceptable."

Fair play to Anton, a very brave thing to do and I'd imagine it wasn't easy for him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Glenn Hysen was Awesome, one of my "im him" players from the 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

And?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Walsh wrote: »
    And?

Might want to word that differently, so that it makes sense, ya know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Its a sad reflection on modern footballing culture that so many players are afraid to come out of the close and that a story such as this is even noteworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Can't wait till some footballer comes out and says "I'm straight".
    hah! I better go to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

No big deal really, i'm sure there are lots more in English League Football too its just they don't need to go broadcasting it in the papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Fair play to him but his brother was ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Fair play to him but his brother was ****e

Tobias? He definitely wasn't ****e mate.

He was one of Sunderland's better players during the promotion season under Keane. It's a shame he didn't get the opportunity to play in the Premier League but unfortunately he and his girlfriend couldn't settle in the area and moved back to Sweden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Paully D wrote: »
    Some of you may not have heard him, but I'm sure Liverpool and Sunderland fans have as he's the son of former Liverpool player Glenn Hysen and brother of ex-Sunderland player Tobias Hysen.

Anton plays for a 4th division Swedish side, but despite that this story is gaining lots of publicity and he had this to say:

Fair play to Anton, a very brave thing to do and I'd imagine it wasn't easy for him.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

*googles 4th division swedish league...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Paully D wrote: »
    Tobias? He definitely wasn't ****e mate.

He was one of Sunderland's better players during the promotion season under Keane. It's a shame he didn't get the opportunity to play in the Premier League but unfortunately he and his girlfriend couldn't settle in the area and moved back to Sweden.
    Didn't rate him at all. Think he made the right move to go the IFK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I think he's trying to kick start he's career?

Didn't rate him at all. Think he made the right move to go the IFK.

Interesting mate, I always thought he was decent and was sorry to see him off without giving the Premier League a go.

Aye, in fairness he probably did make the right choice especially as his girlfriend was pregnant and they weren't settled in the north-east.

He has been playing as a striker for his club and for Sweden since he went back there. It's always good to hear that he's doing well over there, which he is.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Man, this guy's English is so good it's crazy.

He has a thick American accent - Swedish wtf?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9421616.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

This is the biggest non story since that thing nobody cared about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

jayteecork wrote: »
    Man, this guy's English is so good it's crazy.

He has a thick American accent - Swedish wtf?

I work with a load of Swedes, and they all pretty much sound like that too.

I don't think it's an American accent per se, it's just the way they pronounce the letters in Swedish, when they say English words it sounds kind of American, weird to explain.

When you are sitting in the canteen or something, and there's a bunch of Swedes (or Norwegians or Danes too actually) all talking, but not close enough to hear them properly, it does sound like a conversation in some weird English accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Very dissappointed with how dark his hair is. Was expecting silver fox MkII

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

At least being Glenn Hysen's son has stood him in good stead as regards courageous and potentially shameful confessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Mark! wrote: »
    No big deal really, i'm sure there are lots more in English League Football too its just they don't need to go broadcasting it in the papers.

There are plenty of footballers who are petrified to come out and Max Clifford has advised alot of them not to.
    There's some obvious ones but there's also a few players some people would be shocked by.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/10/can-gay-footballers-come-out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'd love for some hard bastard like Vidic or Skrtel to come out. Let's see those yobbos call them fa***ts.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'd love for some hard bastard like Vidic or Skrtel to come out. Let's see those yobbos call them fa***ts.
    I'm telling you that you'd be very surprised what footballers are gay.

amiable wrote: »
    I'm telling you that you'd be very surprised what footballers are gay.

I don't mean it like they are unlikely to be gay, I mean it that those coward yobbos would never dare abuse them. They rather pick on a Justin Fashanu or a Le Saux (who is actually straight), or others they perceive as soft targets.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I don't mean it like they are unlikely to be gay, I mean it that those coward yobbos would never dare abuse them. They rather pick on a Justin Fashanu or a Le Saux (who is actually straight), or others they perceive as soft targets.
    Sorry mate, i didn't mean to come across as bad towards you or your post either.
    There's been a few players that have gone so far as to get married to cover their sexuality

Sorry mate, i didn't mean to come across as bad towards you or your post either.
    There's been a few players that have gone so far as to get married to cover their sexuality

No worries dude. Oh I'd well believe it, Football really is living in the stone age in this regard.

It always strikes me as seriously ironic the homophobic nature of your regular football fan.

They literally worship the ground other men walk on (eg Torres when he was at Liverpool - all the tattoos and everything), wear their names on their backs, jump around embracing the man next to you when a goal is scored....
    Would Torres have gotten the same level of adoration if he looked like Ian Dowie?

Yet they all seemingly hate homosexual men.

The mind boggles.

Remember that scene in the film of Irving Welch's The Acid House?
    When this old guy was getting his wife to put on a strap on and peg him while he was looking at the Hibs team of the 1970s?

How many of these homophobic football fans are actually like that?

It always strikes me as seriously ironic the homophobic nature of your regular football fan.

They literally worship the ground other men walk on (eg Torres when he was at Liverpool - all the tattoos and everything), wear their names on their backs, jump around embracing the man next to you when a goal is scored....

Yet they all seemingly hate homosexual men.

The mind boggles.

Remember that scene in the film of Irving Welch's The Acid House?
    When this old guy was getting his wife to put on a strap on and peg him while he was looking at the Hibs team of the 1970s?

How many of these homophobic football fans are actually like that?
    We all do? Really? Thanks for that

We all do? Really? Thanks for that

Sorry I should have phrased that a bit better.

But you get my drift. Obviously I'm talking about the type of fan(and there is(are?) a lot of them) who keep football "in the stone age" as what was mentioned earlier.

Sorry I should have phrased that a bit better.

But you get my drift. Obviously I'm talking about the type of fan(and there is(are?) a lot of them) who keep football "in the stone age" as what was mentioend earlier.
    Yes you should have phrased it better.
    Its not fair to generalise all football fans like that.
    I'm not like that and i love football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Yes you should have phrased it better.
    Its not fair to generalise all football fans like that.
    I'm not like that and i love football

He said sorry, calm down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't get why its such a big deal when somebody comes out and says they are gay.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    He said sorry, calm down.
    Yes Mr Mod, anything else you'd like from me?
    I am very calm actually.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't get why its such a big deal when somebody comes out and says they are gay.

Because being gay is the last great taboo in the sport.

There are still homophobic chants in nearly every ground.

I fully believe that an openly gay, high profile footballer would be subject to the same abuse Black players were subjected to in the 70s and 80s from the terraces.

You'd get songs, wolf whistles and probably "gay" stuff thrown at them like bananas were used in the past to taunt black players.

Words like "fággot" and "gay" as a put down are still used by a good number of people as part of their everyday colloquialisms. You'd often hear a bloke who doesn't fancy Cheryl Cole being called a fag.

Yes, gay jokes are still rife in everyday life, so it must still be incredibly hard for a gay person to build up the courage to "come out", not only to their parents and friends, but to the whole world if they are a famous footballer too?

I'd describe them as brave people.

One of my best mates is gay, and I was one of the last of our bunch he came out to, me and another bloke. Why? Because we like football, and he thought we wouldn't accept him because we were "too manly" for the likes of that.

No matter what you say, no matter what "stance" you take, there is still a fairly big stigma attached to being gay/coming out. That stigma is increased a hundredfold in the world of football.

Des wrote: »

I fully believe that an openly gay, high profile footballer would be subject to the same abuse Black players were subjected to in the 70s and 80s from the terraces.

You'd get songs, wolf whistles and probably "gay" stuff thrown at them like bananas were used in the past to taunt black players.

Words like "fággot" and "gay" as a put down are still used by a good number of people as part of their everyday colloquialisms. You'd often hear a bloke who doesn't fancy Cheryl Cole being called a fag.

Yes, gay jokes are still rife in everyday life, so it must still be incredibly hard for a gay person to build up the courage to "come out", not only to their parents and friends, but to the whole world if they are a famous footballer too?

One of my best mates is gay, and I was one of the last of our bunch he came out to, me and another bloke. Why? Because we like football, and he thought we wouldn't accept him because we were "too manly" for the likes of that.

No matter what you say, no matter what "stance" you take, there is still a fairly big stigma attached to being gay/coming out. That stigma is increased a hundredfold in the world of football.
    I couldn't agree with you more.

I think its a disgrace that Footballers should need to hide their life to the very people who supposedly idolise them for fear of in extreme circumstances their life put in jeopardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

And the man who married her still gets called a fag!

You just can't win.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    And the man who married her still gets called a fag!

You just can't win.
    How do you know that wasn't a sham marriage?

He shouldn't be called anything in the first place except a money grabber imo but that's not a crime?

• Advertisement

I couldn't agree with you more.

I think its a disgrace that Footballers should need to hide their life to the very people who supposedly idolise them for fear of in extreme circumstances their life put in jeopardy.

Stuff like "I wouldn't get in the shower with him after a game" must be incredibly hurtful for anyone going through dealing with the emotions, especially from a group of lads on a football team that they'd see as their mates.

It's going to take a generation or two more before there is an openly gay, high profile footballer, still playing the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if, in the next few years, some ex-player(s) come out in public, but after they've finished playing.

He shouldn't be called anything in the first place except a money grabber imo but that's not a crime?

So a popstar that was convicted of attacking a black toilet attendant marries a closeted black footballer to improve her public image, prove she's not racist, land a job on x-factor before going over to the states to make it big?

Suuuuuuureeeeee.

Stuff like "I wouldn't get in the shower with him after a game" must be incredibly hurtful for anyone going through dealing with the emotions, especially from a group of lads on a football team that they'd see as their mates.

It's going to take a generation or two more before there is an openly gay, high profile footballer, still playing the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if, in the next few years, some ex-player(s) come out in public, but after they've finished playing.
    I think it will probably be someone coming to the end of a decent career who has a strong personality to be the first playing player to 'come out'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I remember hearing that Manuel Neuer, the Schalke keeper came out recently. He said something about hoping that all gay footballers will do like him and declare their sexuality.... That was a few months ago, and this is the first story I've heard since!

Des is right, there is definitely a fear there.

So a popstar that was convicted of attacking a black toilet attendant marries a closeted black footballer to improve her public image, prove she's not racist, land a job on x-factor before going over to the states to make it big?

Suuuuuuureeeeee.
    It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.

Hollywood is famous for it. Rock Hudson was a massive star in his day and married a woman even though he was gay to cover everything up.

Some z list celebs marry eachother not cos they are gay but just to give their career a push.

Who says it doesn't happen in football

• Advertisement

It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.

Hollywood is famous for it. Rock Hudson was a massive star in his day and married a woman even though he was gay to cover everything up.

Some z list celebs marry eachother not cos they are gay but just to give their career a push.

Who says it doesn't happen in football

I was joking mate, it's very possible.

Even his cheating could've been engineered to break the sham marriage. He'd be a fool to agree to that though.

I was joking mate, it's very possible.

Even his cheating could've been engineered to break the sham marriage. He'd be a fool to agree to that though.
    I'm sorry i didn't pick up the sarcasm
    Who knows mate. Tis a strange world we live in

Cianan2 wrote: »
    I remember hearing that Manuel Neuer, the Schalke keeper came out recently. He said something about hoping that all gay footballers will do like him and declare their sexuality.... That was a few months ago, and this is the first story I've heard since!

Des is right, there is definitely a fear there.

Neuer hasn't came out as gay, instead encouraging those that are actually gay to do so:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/09022011/58/bundesliga-neuer-urges-gay-footballers.html
    The 24-year-old told a German celebrity magazine that coming out would lift a great weight from gay players' shoulders, and that fans would soon accept it.
    "Yes, those who are gay should say so. It relieves a burden," said Manuel Neuer in the magazine Bunte.

"And the fans will get over it quickly. What matters is the performance delivered by the player, not his sexual preference."

While homosexuality is a big taboo across the game of football, in Germany the subject is being increasingly acknowledged.

Neuer's comments follow on from those of Bayern Munich striker Mario Gomez last November.

"They would play as if they had been liberated," Gomez said at the time. "Being gay should no longer be a taboo topic."

Former second division footballer Marcus Urban is the only German footballer ever to come out, but he only did so in 2007, several years after his retirement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ashley cole has a made a lot more money in the last 10 years than Cheryl Tweedy...
    If either of them was a money grabber it would be her, she was making pittance compared to him when they got married.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Ashley cole has a made a lot more money in the last 10 years than Cheryl Tweedy...
    If either of them was a money grabber it would be her, she was making pittance compared to him when they got married.
    I think you have missed the point completely on this.
    Its actually not about him being a money grabber.
    Its about what both him and her could gain out of a sham marriage if it were true.
    It was to prove how stupid calling him a ****** really is.

I think its fairly obvious that Ashley Cole has a massive fondness for money from his own story of nearly crashing when he was talking to his agent

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

There's a nice piece on the Guardian today on him.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/mar/29/anton-hysen-afraid-coming-out

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A thousand Blue Square Premiership players are probably nodding in silent agreement that it's their sexuality that's keeping them out of the big leagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

A thousand Blue Square Premiership players are probably nodding in silent agreement that it's their sexuality that's keeping them out of the big leagues.

:eek:
    is that hyperbole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

On his left arm, in particularly elaborate lettering, is: "UNWA".

I hope thats a typo on the papers end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Why is someone being gay worthy of a thread ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement