Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anton Hysen Reveals That He's Gay

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Because a footballer being openly gay is so incredibly rare that it is "news". Hopefully some time soon it will no longer be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

It'd probably be news if a big star International player (eg Ashley Cole - who's definetly not gay btw) came out and admitted he was gay. A story about some 4th division Swede doesn't really have much punch to it no matter how rare it may be. In fact I'm sure the story wouldn't have even got this far if the guy wasn't the son of Glenn Hysen. People would just be going "who?" and dumping the story rather than pushing it on the grounds of it being some sort of rarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I never thought I'd see the day when a GAA player would come out, so maybe a high profile football player doing the same isnt that far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Glenn Hysen was Awesome, one of my "im him" players from the 80s.

Excellent and relevant first reply :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Why is someone being gay worthy of a thread ?

It's not that he's gay that's the issue but that he was brave enough to come out.

Becuase gay footballers are afraid to come out. Football clubs don't seem to have kept pace with society in terms of discrimination in this area. It's an issue that needs resolving and the more players that are brave enough to do it the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It took a bit of courage to do that, I'm sure plenty are still left in the closet unwilling to take a similar step. Someone's sexual orientation should not be an issue in Football, but for many it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't get why its such a big deal when somebody comes out and says they are gay.

well the last (and only) player to do so in england was justin fashanu.

when he came out, numerous former colleagues slated him, saying "gays" had no place in team sport. his own brother disowned him.

its a massive deal and one which should be applauded. the fact that numerous men cant come out due to fear of abuse from colleagues, supporters and news papers is very sad IMO. anyone who does come out, no matter what division should be applauded.

Advertisement