Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with basic website

Options
  • 11-03-2011 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

I have no experience with building and maintaining a website but i want to have a basic enough site to advertise a service and if it is successful then I will get the professionals in.

Basically I have come across weebly and have managed to make an ok start on a 5 page site.

Is there a free better alternative to weebly?

If i register a .com domain can i forward this domain to the weebly site?

what do ye make of godaddy? If discussion is not allowed on this point i would appreciate a PM.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭GoldenBoot

When it comes time to renew a domain registration do i have first option to renew ownership at the prevailing price with any domain registration company?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It all depends on what your requirements are, which are dictated by your business and your customers. If customers are going to be interacting with your site a lot it would be wise to spend the cash and get something professional. First impressions and all that!

Perhaps Wordpress.org (not.com) would better meet your requirements. It's a content management system (if you have ever kept a blog you are well in already) that allows for easy updating of content. You can also customise and create your own theme, avail of one of the many free themes or even purchase one. See here for an example a few of 1000's available. Additionally, it is possible to add various apps (called widgets) that will enliven your site.

If I'm understanding your post about renewals; yes, you get first option. You will be warned in advance when your rights are about to expire. And if you have already purchased hosting and a domain name the chances are your subscription is set to auto-renew. If you are transferring from one hosting space (say godaddy to another Blacknight) to another it will cost an additional once off charge and usually takes a week or so to sort out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 linda1982ie

I dont agree I am building a website on weebly at the moment I did a course on it last year Now I am a graphic designer and Im able to create graphics to put onto the site as "pictures" but I do think its good and if you wanted you could buy your site addresss from them which is good also as long as you dont mind it being .org or .com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

You don't agree with what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Freemancon

If you think you might move your domain name to another provider you should put a note in your calendar for 6 weeks ahead of the renewal so you don't leave it too close to actual renewal date. You don't want to run out of time to move/renew your existing domain (particularly for .com).

Also remember that these internet services are modular so you could buy your domain from company A, manage your hosting with company B,
    managed your name server with company C, and email with company D (or any combination therein). Don't do it just be cause you can but it's nice to know you its possible if it suits your needs.

Advertisement