Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worth buying?

• 11-03-2011 1:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    Ive been thinkin about buyin minecraft for a while now,
    and im wondering if its worth buying.

Im not gona be able to play it for 5 or 6 hours a day,
    so im wondering how hard it is to get set up in the game.

like if I wanted to make a building from certain materials,
    will I have to mine multiple items, and then craft it all?
    how long does it take if I do.

what Im mainly wondering is, is the game worth buying, for a casual bit of fun, and getting on and just building stuff.
    is it easy to put it down and pick up where ya left off?

thanks for the answers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I can go ages without play and then jump straight back in. It really shines in multiplayer. Just watch some minecraft vids on youtube and you'll get a good idea as to what its like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »

Im not gona be able to play it for 5 or 6 hours a day,
    so im wondering how hard it is to get set up in the game.

You literally start the launcher, hit single player and you're dropped into a randomly generated world without any introduction, cinematics or plot.

Seananners has very good tutorial on how you go about on your first day of minecraft here.

Your first "Goal" is really to make a home that will protect you from the bad things that appear on your first night :D
    like if I wanted to make a building from certain materials,
    will I have to mine multiple items, and then craft it all?
    how long does it take if I do.

Depending on what materials you want to use influences how long it will take you to resource these materials. The more you play the quicker you'll be essentially. Mining and crafting is fun though :)
    what Im mainly wondering is, is the game worth buying, for a casual bit of fun, and getting on and just building stuff.
    is it easy to put it down and pick up where ya left off?

It's hard to put the game down imo :p but for casual playing it's great.

The game is definitely worth the price. If you're to get it you should play the multiplayer with other boardsies on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Willbbz wrote: »
    It's hard to put the game down imo :p but for casual playing it's great.

I have to agree with this. It's a really casual game but you get lost in the world IMO. This morning, I finished work at 8am and was home by 8:30. Said I'd throw it on to make sure I wasn't having any more connection issues for multiplayer. On nights, I should really be in bed by 9:00 or 10:00. Today I went to bed at 14:00!!!!!!!! :eek: It's seriously addictive and time seems to drift past in large chunks.

If you're disciplined enough to stop playing when you should, there's no problem with picking up where you left off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I have to agree with this. It's a really casual game but you get lost in the world IMO. This morning, I finished work at 8am and was home by 8:30. Said I'd throw it on to make sure I wasn't having any more connection issues for multiplayer. On nights, I should really be in bed by 9:00 or 10:00. Today I went to bed at 14:00!!!!!!!! :eek: It's seriously addictive and time seems to drift past in large chunks.

If you're disciplined enough to stop playing when you should, there's no problem with picking up where you left off.

sadly, I am not that disciplined hahaha
    Im still getting the game. I love the though of just building away.

only turn off is that it seems like it could end up being tedius trying to build something big, and out of something thats hard to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

sadly, I am not that disciplined hahaha
    Im still getting the game. I love the though of just building away.

only turn off is that it seems like it could end up being tedius trying to build something big, and out of something thats hard to make.

In single player I'd say it could be but if you've got an ambitious idea, play multiplayer on Tallon's server where you won't have to build up the inventory. Single player and Multiplayer feel like two completely different games almost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It's like Heroin :eek:

Very fun and enjoyable game though. As the lads said, play MP first to get an idea

yeah I want to. gimme access to the server hah!
    teach me how to play the game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

yeah I want to. gimme access to the server hah!
    teach me how to play the game!
    Post on the thread and one of the admins will give you access :D

I have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Definitely worth buying. I bought it around 11 last night and am just heading to bed now hahahaha. Love it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Rossgorry

Minecraft > Life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I think the Gf is about to kick me out for playing it too much. Thank god the boards server is down...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Stokolan wrote: »
    I think the Gf is about to kick me out for playing it too much. Thank god the boards server is down...

I showed it to my gf and she watched 2 hours of commentaries and was shouting to buy the game there, so I did. Just show her how to play :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Its a slippery slope

5 hours last night disappeared into minecraft :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

My friends gave me Minecraft last night and I'm absolutely lost! I've started playing at about 8 p.m. (you know, it was one of those 'oh, let's just take a look!') and came to myself at 5 a.m. To be honest, I didn't expect much from this game but it's so captivating, I just couldn't stop playing.
    I think it's worth buying.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Say goodbye to many hours of your life! This game is like cocaine its so addictive! haha!

Advertisement