Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ifor williams demountable cattle trailer

• 11-03-2011 1:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

hey

I have a 16ft iforwilliams flat trailer and looking for demount livestock body but iforwilliams only supply up to 14ft .With time on my hands and and fairly good with the welder i am thinking of makeing one .I am looking for ideas on what way there made ? ie what size steal etcand how it is mounted to trailer .Would i be correct in saying there made from angel ?Or is it both angle and box .Have any of ye got one ? If ye do would ye take a few pics of the mounting to trailer and ramp etc . wana get sumdrawings done see if it is worth doing .

bk1991

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Most factory manufactured trailers use channel bent around in a hoop every 2'. It'd be tricky enough do this unless you'd the right gear.

Also you'd want a press break to bend the fold in the side sheeting for strength.

If you cut corners the strength won't be in it. It'd be hard make a homemade job too that'd weigh as light as a factory job and still have same strength.

Also there's a reason you don't see many 16' cattle boxes. 16' would be too big a trailer for any jeep (physically and legally for weight reasons).

You might aswel go for a proper cattle trailer for behind a tractor with a low axle. It'I be at least 12" wider too so you'I fit cattle in better. Bridgeway Engineering in Shannonbridge Co. Offaly do a lovely trailer

Just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

Muckit wrote: »
    Most factory manufactured trailers use channel bent around in a hoop every 2'. It'd be tricky enough do this unless you'd the right gear.

Also you'd want a press break to bend the fold in the side sheeting for strength.

If you cut corners the strength won't be in it. It'd be hard make a homemade job too that'd weigh as light as a factory job and still have same strength.

Also there's a reason you don't see many 16' cattle boxes. 16' would be too big a trailer for any jeep (physically and legally for weight reasons).

You might aswel go for a proper cattle trailer for behind a tractor with a low axle. It'I be at least 12" wider too so you'I fit cattle in better. Bridgeway Engineering in Shannonbridge Co. Offaly do a lovely trailer

Just my opinion

yea would be a better option but have 16ft trailer which is only used few times in yeard for bales and would make more us for it . beanding channel woulnt be prob if make up a jig to do so .

bk1991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I presume the wheels are underneath on that 16 ft trailer , I would think twice before building a cattle body for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

just wondering is it a 3 axel

just wondering is it a 3 axel

yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

bk1991 wrote: »
    yes

U do be up at some queer hours.
    Were u on milking this morning?

reilig wrote: »
    U do be up at some queer hours.
    Were u on milking this morning?

ha ha ha no we got out of cows this year ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

madness.

a 16 foot cattle trailer will be too big as has been said, to be honest I reckon most of the 14 footers are probably overloaded, and are generally being pulled by jeeps that arent rated to pull 3.5t either.

Sometimes there's no good reason why things arent done a different way, but sometimes there is. In this case there's lots of good reasons why no-one makes a 16 foot cattle trailer with the wheels under the deck.

Advertisement