Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball 2011

Options
  • 11-03-2011 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

I noticed today that a UCD Ball event has gone up on Facebook, ( http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=117236878350698 ). There doesnt seem to be a thread on this yet soooo might as well start one. Last years was excellent I thought, one of the best last days of term I've had, hopefully this year will match it.

Any rumours of prices / acts yet? Its not too far away so there must be some gossip starting to buzz around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

The only rumours I've heard is that all rumours are false, because nothing is booked yet.

Lets be honest, even if it's Crystal Swing or aboriginal didjeridoo players at the Ball, it's still going to be a class event.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

A few things:

1) - It really annoys me how they don't release the acts or at least some of them before tickets go on sale

2) - I believe it was €35 last year, which for the calibre of act they bring is way too expensive. Also, see point b) below

3) This leaves people having to fork out the money for the chance that a) someone decent is playing and probably more importantly, that b) the weather is good

4) This year, the usual last day of lectures is Good Friday, so obviously a no go. But why have it on the Thursday, meaning no one can really go out afterwards? Just have it on the Wednesday you morons.

It's really the one big thing they have to get right all year; at this stage we should have names and a better day to have it on. Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I love the way I never get invites to UCD events on Facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 JBoy!

LUPE wrote: »
    A few things:

1) - It really annoys me how they don't release the acts or at least some of them before tickets go on sale

2) - I believe it was €35 last year, which for the calibre of act they bring is way too expensive. Also, see point b) below

3) This leaves people having to fork out the money for the chance that a) someone decent is playing and probably more importantly, that b) the weather is good

4) This year, the usual last day of lectures is Good Friday, so obviously a no go. But why have it on the Thursday, meaning no one can really go out afterwards? Just have it on the Wednesday you morons.

It's really the one big thing they have to get right all year; at this stage we should have names and a better day to have it on. Ridiculous

you sound like a load of fun!!.. bullet point criticisms of the UCD Ball! ... haha ya should do a powerpoint presentation while you are at it!... they cant have it on the Wednesday, it has to be on the last day of term! silly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

JBoy! wrote: »
    you sound like a load of fun!!.. bullet point criticisms of the UCD Ball! ... haha ya should do a powerpoint presentation while you are at it!... they cant have it on the Wednesday, it has to be on the last day of term! silly!

I actually agree with him, don't see any big problem with having it on Wednesday, I'd be a lot less likely to go now with there being no possibility of heading out after.

That said, I don't mind too much about the acts not being released, they don't really swing it for me. I didn't spend 35 quid last year to see The Saturdays or whoever it was that headlined (I dunno coz I left early to go to a proper gig in town :P). The sun is what you want at the end of the day, its what made last year so good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Didn't realise it had become a crime to make a logical, well structured argument. Guess I'll get called silly now.

But LUPE did make some good points. But that being said, I think with the last day of term being the day it is, they were hamstrung a little. Although out of everybody who spends all day at the UCD Ball, not that many actually go to a nightclub afterwards. I always went to a house party or "bed". So you can still do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 JBoy!

Didn't realise it had become a crime to make a logical, well structured argument. Guess I'll get called silly now.

But LUPE did make some good points. But that being said, I think with the last day of term being the day it is, they were hamstrung a little. Although out of everybody who spends all day at the UCD Ball, not that many actually go to a nightclub afterwards. I always went to a house party or "bed". So you can still do that.

silly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

A few things:

1. Yes its a little annoying they dont release the acts but really, very few people buy a ticket due to the lineup. Its a day out more than a gig.

2. I think €35 is a fair enough price when you consider the cost of setup and getting in acts. There were about 15 bands/djs on last year so those guys have to get some money out of it.

3. Really if you're going to specifically see certain acts and bands for your €35 you probably will be disappointed. Its a day to meet your friends, see a few acts (good and bad), have a few drinks and just have a good evening.

4. The whole point of the ball is that its on the last day of term, UCD would most likely not have allowed them have it on the wednesday. I was knackered after last years one. You're standing around for up to 7 hours, not many people will be in the mood to go out afterwards.

I'm generally very critical of the SU but the UCD ball is one of the few things they seem to do well at. Just enjoy the day for what it is.

4. The whole point of the ball is that its on the last day of term, UCD would most likely not have allowed them have it on the wednesday. I was knackered after last years one. You're standing around for up to 7 hours, not many people will be in the mood to go out afterwards.

I'm generally very critical of the SU but the UCD ball is one of the few things they seem to do well at. Just enjoy the day for what it is.

+1 to your whole post, but particularly this one. The area where the ball is is a wreck so they couldn't have classes etc the next day. Then add in the fencing that would need to be taken down. Also, how many people would turn up for the last day after the ball? Tuesday would become the de facto end of term were it on Wednesday.

Within reason, the acts at the ball don't really matter. Cheesy, fun bands are probably the best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

JBoy! wrote: »

Ha... Ha!!! ... good one... !! !! !!!

Thursday isn't the last day of term, silly .... !

<Hilarious punctuation joke removed because it was annoying - Raphael>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Ive been to the last 2 UCD Balls (haha), and the act I enjoyed the most was S Club, the moshpit for "Reach For The Stars" was one of the funniest/craziest/happiest/painfull/euphoric moments I can recall (and I can barely recall it). Last year the Vengaboys were great craic aswell. I hope they go less towards the coolest new indie band from the UK who come over and try to do a serious set, and more for acts that on their way down the ladder, that everyone knows all the words to their one or two hits, and will have some fun with the crowd. That what UCD ball is about. Fun.

The most I worry about UCD Ball is drinking too much and KOing, and thus missing the whole day. Every year you see people being carried off, what a shame. The appropirate mix of vodka and the energy drink of your choice is key. Keep buzzy, but dont crash untill safely at the after-session. Thats what concerns me, not whos playing or what day it is. Ill get my pre-drinks and mixer planned out and then top-up with watered down Coors Light or pouches of wine untill the event is over.

In an ideal world, they would annouce 5ive were playing. I heard a rumour that 5ive were playing last year, but it was just wishful thinking. 5ive would absolutely rock the house. They probably dont do stuff like this though. Shame. And Im sure Ill be hearing the same rumours circulating in the Arts block again come April.

The location was key to last years success for me, not wedged in between huge buildings like the year before, but open aired (the sunshine did help). This year I hear its the running track, so no qualms for me there, big open space.

I cant wait. Ill buy my ticket asap, Thursday, Monday, Pancake Tuesday, I dont really care. Im going to make sure I have a good time.

5ive played/were due to play the Xmas Ball, so the UCD Ball in hardly beneath a washed up boy band!

5ive played/were due to play the Xmas Ball, so the UCD Ball in hardly beneath a washed up boy band!

Well hopefully they arnt, but the Vengaboys were a headliner last year. Hardly A-List.

5ive? Washed up? Pffft, Keep On Movin' pal. ;)

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Well hopefully they arnt, but the Vengaboys were a headliner last year. Hardly A-List.

5ive? Washed up? Pffft, Keep On Movin' pal. ;)

I wasn't exactly calling the Venga Boys A-list. I'm saying 5ive are just like them, in other words just the type of washed up, cringe fest that works perfectly at student balls.

I wasn't exactly calling the Venga Boys A-list. I'm saying 5ive are just like them, in other words just the type of washed up, cringe fest that works perfectly at student balls.

Would never accuse you of that. I meant, the Vengaboyz are a headline act, so we are some way off having a-list acts.

Calvin Harris will probably play again.

Would never accuse you of that. I meant, the Vengaboyz are a headline act, so we are some way off having a-list acts.

Though The Saturdays were actually the headline act last year. Venga Boys played last, but that was just to suit The Saturdays schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Ha... Ha!!! ... good one... !! !! !!!

Thursday isn't the last day of term, silly .... !

<Hilarious punctuation joke removed because it was annoying - Raphael>

Effectively it is as UCD closes for Good Friday normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Wouldn't be in the mood for Calvin Harris if he only does a dj set again rather than a proper preformance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

So word from Ents is tickets are on sale next Wednesday for 40e each and the lineup will be announced "this week". No sign of it yet and its late on Thursday though....Presumably for 40e a ticket they'll have one or two decent bands?

Dunno if I agree with the constant upping of the ticket price. Its the last day of term so I think it'd almost be as good with 20e tickets and worse bands, 90% of the people there arent there for the music anyway. A halfway decent random Irish DJ or two on a decent sound system playing typical student bar stuff would do the job far cheaper than having to pay thousands of euros to random B list acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Johnny needs to make a little bit of extra cash at the end of the year sure. Nooooo, I'm a cynical old man, for shame!

40 euro is a bit expensive for what the ball is. Unless they want to charge 3 euro for the pints inside. The xx were rumoured last week. This was furthered when the SU Facebook page put up some links to xx songs. That said however, friends working in the Trib maintain that no headliner has been secured as of today (Thursday) and that negotiations are still on going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

From ents facebook page:

Everyone ready for the UCD Ball??

Acts to be announced on Tuesday at 12pm..

Tickets on sale Wednesday 30 March @ 12pm from the Library Shop & UCDents.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I'd totally go to the ball just to see 5ive.....loved E17 at the student bar, and the vengaboys! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Acts to be announced shortly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Ellie f****ng Goulding. It should be a dance festival, not some acoustic festival!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

Ellie f****ng Goulding. It should be a dance festival, not some acoustic festival!

Is she the rumoured headliner? The UCD Ball facebook page now lists

Republic of Loose
    Iyaz
    Royseven
    Fight Like Apes
    O Emporer
    Bluemoose
    Fourplay
    Lost in Flight
    Frank Jez & Tando
    Hogan
    Battle of the Bands
    Disco of Doom
    Casette Jam
    Daft Funk
    Brandon Block
    I-Rate Sound System
    Brian Maher (SPIN 103.8)
    Red n'Head

and "Headliner to be announced shortly."

Pretty bad if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Blut2 wrote: »
    Is she the rumoured headliner? The UCD Ball facebook page now lists

Republic of Loose
    Iyaz
    Royseven
    Fight Like Apes
    O Emporer
    Bluemoose
    Fourplay
    Lost in Flight
    Frank Jez & Tando
    Hogan
    Battle of the Bands
    Disco of Doom
    Casette Jam
    Daft Funk
    Brandon Block
    I-Rate Sound System
    Brian Maher (SPIN 103.8)
    Red n'Head

and "Headliner to be announced shortly."
    No, I was only joking. The suspense was killing me. Not

Unfortunately I'm not to familiar with all these small acts so don't know if I like them or not. Are they all dance DJs?
    I know of Republic of Loose though, and like them. Am hoping for a cheesy group along with a good headliner though

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

Worst line up yet.. they've massively sacrificed quality for quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

What a load of shite

Most of those acts have already played to a half full student bar. and €40 a ticket? Where's the dance lineup?

• Advertisement

Fight Like Apes played the Shag ball, Bluemoose played sometime in semester one (pretty sure it was the opening day of Arts week), Republic of Loose played in the first semester. It seems to be like that they are getting the acts that play the student bar.

Advertisement