Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

Deeluu wrote: »
    Also, the SU did know about the Ball being cancelled during the elections as I heard it from a source that the news editor of The College Tribune was informed by Gary Fox on Thursday afternoon that "he had some very big news for him" and then on Sunday released the official statement!

There was a big Sabbat meeting on the Wednesday so they would have known then at the latest. Could it be they delayed announcing the cancellation in order to help De Brún out? He surely would have been punished at the ballot boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

EduKate wrote: »
    For 1 day a year.

Have you ever seen the damage to grass after an event like that? There was virtually no grass left on the lawn beside Quinn last year. It is a completely impractical idea. The damage caused would cost a lot of time and money to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EduKate

oh noes, not the precious lawn by Quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 HughOrBrady

For 1 day a year.

Actually it's a bit longer, as all the pitches would have to be checked for broken glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

OSI wrote: »
    Where do you live? We'll all show up on the last day of term seeing as you clearly don't mind making **** of any open space you won't mind us destroying your garden. No?

The lawn beside Quinn is your garden?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

The lawn beside Quinn is your garden?

the point that was being made was lost on you?

the point that was being made was lost on you?

Nah it wasn't, no points are lost on me

oh noes, not the precious lawn by Quinn.

Did you miss the point? The lawn beside Quinn was destroyed. Yet you seem to think sports clubs should give up their pitches to be equally destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

Did you miss the point? The lawn beside Quinn was destroyed. Yet you seem to think sports clubs should give up their pitches to be equally destroyed.

Saying they were destroyed is a gross exaggeration! I was playing soccer on them a week later and they were no worse than usual. I'm sure the clubs would be more than happy to take the money for using the pitches. The amount of money needed to restore them is very insignificant compared to most of the other costs for a ball of this size. It's not as if they'd have to pay this clean up bill themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Destroyed? I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. It seemed to recover quite quickly if I remember correctly. I don't even think there was a need for new grass to be sown. When the exams were finished it looked pretty healthy again.

All the same I cannot see clubs giving up their pitches. There is a big difference between a pitch and a lawn.

• Advertisement

Bluefox21 wrote: »
    Saying they were destroyed is a gross exaggeration! I was playing soccer on them a week later and they were no worse than usual. I'm sure the clubs would be more than happy to take the money for using the pitches. The amount of money needed to restore them is very insignificant compared to most of the other costs for a ball of this size. It's not as if they'd have to pay this clean up bill themselves.

The area where the stage was did not recover a week later. It was much longer before that area was the same. The other areas did but they didn't suffer the same damage. Then factor in that the actual pitches would be much more vulnerable to stages and general wear and tear from crowds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The pitches could be covered with that protective material that is used whenever concerts are held in stadiums. That may add extra expense, although I have heard that such material would have been used at the original venue in anycase in order to protect the running track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Ah, apparently Pat De Brún/the SU are running this Save Our Ball thing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

At least, Pat posted a comment on the Facebook page, and the next post was from the owner of the page, saying the exact same thing. Oops.

I figured it was organized by some random student(s), and it wasn't really going to go anywhere. If this is what the SU is doing, it's a bit disheartening. I figured they'd be trying to organize another event, not getting you to put a twibbon on your avatar :rolleyes:

P.S. Twibbons are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Healium wrote: »
    Ah, apparently Pat De Brún/the SU are running this Save Our Ball thing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

At least, Pat posted a comment on the Facebook page, and the next post was from the owner of the page, saying the exact same thing. Oops.

I figured it was organized by some random student(s), and it wasn't really going to go anywhere. If this is what the SU is doing, it's a bit disheartening. I figured they'd be trying to organize another event, not getting you to put a twibbon on your avatar :rolleyes:

P.S. Twibbons are stupid.

It's being run by the SU, apparently the headliner issues and the permissions being withdrawn are a horrible conincidence, so they're trying to sort something out*

*Dont shoot the messenger, this is just what my program officer has relayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

This is so ridiculous. Trying to save a ball that isn't going ahead due to their own incompetence. Instead, they should be learning how to draw up a proper contract and figuring out how to get an event with 4999 people going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

An event similar to the one on May Day 2007 would be a great success.

Admittedly the sunshine that day made it what it was, but the buzz about the forum bar was great.

Probably not a runner now given the Forum is closes and the SU Bar's location makes it hard but I think that end of term day in 2007 proves that it doesnt need to be all bells and whistles.

IMO anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahoyhoy

The reason this is such a disaster is because UCD was so determined to be able to beat Trinity and say that the UCD Ball is Europe's largest private party. The huge capacity of the ball meant they had to have a special agreement and now look. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Also people who say that if Trinity can shut down for the day then UCD should be able to, have you seen either of the campuses? UCD is freaking huge with loads of roads running through it with public traffic and even public transport going through it. Trinity on the other hand allows vehicle traffic through one gate and one gate only and even then they allow bugger all cars in. It's incredibly easy to shut down that campus, especially given that there's a big ass wall around most of it.

Also I do think the whole "Save Our Ball" is an absolute sham. Even the FAQ page like, if you had a bloody headliner why not tell people who it was? If they were any good it would sure add steam to the campaign and get people pissed off and keen to join in because they're annoyed they missed such an awesome act.

And even if it was ultimately the fault of the "authorities" they should at lease admit that it was a welcome coincidence and saved them from having to admit they had no headliner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Now they're wasting time and money on this campaign, with card and t-shirt printing. Load of arse the whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The pitches could be covered with that protective material that is used whenever concerts are held in stadiums. That may add extra expense, although I have heard that such material would have been used at the original venue in anycase in order to protect the running track.

This is an extremely good point - how long was it before matches could be played in Croker after U2 360?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

This is an extremely good point - how long was it before matches could be played in Croker after U2 360?

Didn't they have to completely re-sod the pitch after that concert? Or was it just a coincidence that it occurred afterwards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Screw the ball.

Go to the off-licence > buy booze > drink on the pitches en masse.

The argument against drinking on pitches started in this thread because of the above comment - i.e crowds showing up, drinking on pitches, lighting bonfires, and leaving rubbish/broken glass behind.

There's a big difference between that and a planned event that will possibly have the pitch covered, and a planned timeframe to return the pitch to normal use.

I don't think most folk will have a problem with a planned event on a pitch, but a lot will have a problem with selfish SP folk sticking it to the man in ucd by showing up and destroying a pitch of their choosing.

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Didn't they have to completely re-sod the pitch after that concert? Or was it just a coincidence that it occurred afterwards?

They were planning on relaying the surface anyway but rather intelligently waited until after the concert and I think made the organisers pay a bit of the cost. There's concerts in Croker regularly without pitches being relayed. Take That are doing two dates in June, right in the middle of the championship. Doesn't cause much damage, just like the Ball last year didn't cause much damage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

They were planning on relaying the surface anyway but rather intelligently waited until after the concert and I think made the organisers pay a bit of the cost. There's concerts in Croker regularly without pitches being relayed. Take That are doing two dates in June, right in the middle of the championship. Doesn't cause much damage, just like the Ball last year didn't cause much damage

Planned events probably don't cause too much damage, but what happened at the end of term in 2007, when people just turned up on the pitches opposite the sports centre and went mad, did.

stop wrote: »
    The argument against drinking on pitches started in this thread because of the above comment - i.e crowds showing up, drinking on pitches, lighting bonfires, and leaving rubbish/broken glass behind.

There's a big difference between that and a planned event that will possibly have the pitch covered, and a planned timeframe to return the pitch to normal use.

I don't think most folk will have a problem with a planned event on a pitch, but a lot will have a problem with selfish SP folk sticking it to the man in ucd by showing up and destroying a pitch of their choosing.

Yeah I should have added that to my points, I thought it was self-explanatory though. The Ball last year was used as an example of what can happen to unprotected grass when drunken goons are trampling all over it. Not as an example of what would happen if an actual pitch was pre-prepared, covered etc. The 2007 example is a better like-for-like comparison.

So to repeat, planned events with protected pitches are OK. Ideas like EduKate's and the 2007 events are selfish, idiotic and damaging.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

that stuff is a demon to put down, weighs a mighty ton and is not cheap. cant remember the name offhand, theres white pastic used at croke and walkways at oxegen then steel used at outdoor gigs to really protect the soil, i cant see the budget stretching that far, if you work out the costs roughly, its amazing they ran it the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

An event similar to the one on May Day 2007 would be a great success.

Admittedly the sunshine that day made it what it was, but the buzz about the forum bar was great.

Probably not a runner now given the Forum is closes and the SU Bar's location makes it hard but I think that end of term day in 2007 proves that it doesnt need to be all bells and whistles.

IMO anyway.

That was an incredible year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Doesn't anyone else find it strange that they managed to print 100's of "Save our Ball" T-Shirts and Flyers within a day? Seeing as most if not all printers are closed on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

ironclaw wrote: »
    Doesn't anyone else find it strange that they managed to print 100's of "Save our Ball" T-Shirts and Flyers within a day? Seeing as most if not all printers are closed on weekends.
    They've known for some time the ball would be cancelled. It was delayed until after the elections, then until after april fools :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Jesus they've actually printed t-shirts? There's like 2 weeks until when the ball should've been, sure they know nothing can be done from scratch at this stage. Just wasting money so they can look like they're doing something.

• Advertisement

The printer service that the SU and most societies use can get print runs pulled through in less than 12 hours no problem. They're also open at the weekends.

That being said, what a waste of money

Advertisement