Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Nah, they were 35 last year. 25 in 2009.

What :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Its a university, events such as this should be expected and welcomed. As someone mentioned earlier Trinity have no problems doing it. The postgrads/researchers/non-UCD visitors/staff all survived when the college was shut early/full days during the snow. All UCD had to give was 3 hours of a working day and they went back on their word.

AS far as I know the Trinity Ball starts at 5 or even 8 or something so while the campus is closd down there's only a limited amount of pple put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Yes plus the time frame is different, it's a late affair. The ball has to be over early and this time would have run into Good Friday problems on top of everything else...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 likelydropout

There's going to be a statement released by UCD today apparently....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

It's impossible to compare the UCD Ball to the Trinity Ball. The trinity ball has 50 years plus of precedent, with a similar format in the same place every year, with success almost every year. The black tie nature of the ball makes security easier, as does the restricted nature of the campus layout.

The UCD ball has taken many formats in many venues, and there is no consistent formula for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

What :confused::confused:

Eh, I'm not sure which part is confusing you?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

mloc wrote: »
    It's impossible to compare the UCD Ball to the Trinity Ball. The trinity ball has 50 years plus of precedent, with a similar format in the same place every year, with success almost every year. The black tie nature of the ball makes security easier, as does the restricted nature of the campus layout.

The UCD ball has taken many formats in many venues, and there is no consistent formula for it.

Trinity presumably took a while to arrive at their winning formula though, there's no reason why UCD shouldn't be able to do something similar given enough time. Direct comparison between the UCD effort and Trinity is not great admittedly given the very different layouts etc but there's still lessons that could be learned.

I don't think black tie has that much impact tbh, the first UCD ball was black tie, it was a joke, everyone crammed into a carpark.

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    I don't think black tie has that much impact tbh, the first UCD ball was black tie, it was a joke, everyone crammed into a carpark.

The issue was the union buckled and relaxed the Black Tie requirement shortly before the ball, so as it was Black Tie recommended, rather than compulsory. People regularly get refused from the Trinity Ball for improper dress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I was correct. No mention of pre-sale tickets in your post I'm afraid. The tickets were 35€ last year and 25€ in 2009. If you're going to be self-righteous, please be right.

Just to note, the other poster is actually correct that there were tickets for 25 euro last year and that he mentioned it in his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

mloc wrote: »
    The issue was the union buckled and relaxed the Black Tie requirement shortly before the ball, so as it was Black Tie recommended, rather than compulsory. People regularly get refused from the Trinity Ball for improper dress.

But does it matter it being black tie? I see little advantage to it. And standing in a field/car park in my tux does not appeal to me. As I'm sure any girl would like to standing in a field / car park in a gown and heels.

• Advertisement

To me, black tie requires somewhere indoors (for the girls much more so than the guys). UCD doesn't have anywhere suited to that at the minute. The Ball being on campus is one of it's biggest selling points, so I much prefer the idea of a casual attire, outdoors event.

To me, black tie requires somewhere indoors (for the girls much more so than the guys). UCD doesn't have anywhere suited to that at the minute. The Ball being on campus is one of it's biggest selling points, so I much prefer the idea of a casual attire, outdoors event.

I agree that the UCD ball doesn't need to be black tie; in fact, making it black tie just leaves you with a second rate knock off of the Trinity Ball. It needs to be a different sort of ball, and casual attire is the way to do that.

My point was more along the lines of how different the UCD and Trinity balls are. Another issue on that note is the fact that the Trinity Ball goes on very, very late, with some people not leaving the grounds until sunrise. The UCD balls are generally finishing up by the time the Trinity Ball would start. Again, different kind of ball. Both have their places, just basing one on the other doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sbren88

All I wanna know is if the UCD Ball doesn't go ahead by the end of the semester will the SU revel who the headliners were going to be rather than continue their silence??

Just to note, the other poster is actually correct that there were tickets for 25 euro last year and that he mentioned it in his post.

He is wrong. There was limited pre-sale in which tickets were apparently 25 euro. For the large majority (over 80%) who paid 35, there was no 60% increase this year. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

He is wrong. There was limited pre-sale in which tickets were apparently 25 euro. For the large majority (over 80%) who paid 35, there was no 60% increase this year. Cheers.

Was no apparently about it. 1500 went on sale for €25.

http://www.universityobserver.ie/2010/03/02/jedward-to-play-ucd-ball/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Eh, I'm not sure which part is confusing you?

This
    To be fair if they managed to get Snow Patrol I'd say hats off to them. I have to admit I find it unlikely though.
    Nah, they were 35 last year. 25 in 2009.

I just don't get what you mean? What does 35 and 25 mean? Ticket prices? What does that have to do with Snow Patrol? I'm sorry, I just don't understand your point.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Was no apparently about it. 1500 went on sale for €25.

http://www.universityobserver.ie/2010/03/02/jedward-to-play-ucd-ball/

So we're agreed that tickets did not go up by 60% then? That of course would be a total misinterpretation of the facts, for over 80% of the concert goers. Grand, cheers.

This

I just don't get what you mean? What does 35 and 25 mean? Ticket prices? What does that have to do with Snow Patrol? I'm sorry, I just don't understand your point.

One of those quotes wasn't my own!

Yeah 35 and 25 are figures relating to ticket costs last year, one being a pre-sale price and one being the price paid for the remainder. Snow Patrol were rumoured (strongly) to be playing this year also.

So we're agreed that tickets did not go up by 60% then? That of course would be a total misinterpretation of the facts, for over 80% of the concert goers. Grand, cheers.

wtf are you on about? :confused:

When did I say anything to the contrary?

wtf are you on about? :confused:

When did I say anything to the contrary?

Have you actually been following the discussion? WTF LOLZ OMGZ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 likelydropout

For ME tickets went up 60%. Thats all I care about. ;)

Have you actually been following the discussion? WTF LOLZ OMGZ

Evidently I have, my point was there was no need to be bringing up price ticket raises with me. I never disputed the price hike, I was merely pointing out there was no 'apparently' about the price of the early bird tickets.

Relax dude. Tis a lovely day :)

Evidently I have, my point was there was no need to be bringing up price ticket raises with me. I never disputed the price hike, I was merely pointing out there was no 'apparently' about the price of the early bird tickets.

Relax dude. Tis a lovely day :)

It was a needless point to make. The discussion was based around the fact that ticket prices had gone up by 60%, which was later proved to be horribly incorrect. Had you actually been following the conversion (an absolutely LOLOL suggestion), you would have picked up on that. Cheers, regularly sized ears (probably)

It was a needless point to make. The discussion was based around the fact that ticket prices had gone up by 60%, which was later proved to be horribly incorrect. Had you actually been following the conversion (an absolutely LOLOL suggestion), you would have picked up on that. Cheers, regularly sized ears (probably)

It wasn't needless as by saying 'apparently' it appeared you didn't believe the price of the early bird tickets last year. I was merely pointing this out that they were on sale for €25.

I never said that price tickets had gone up by 60%, hence i never disagreed with you on the point.

Anyway, this'll be my last post on the matter. I have no interest in getting into an argument with you over it.

I would like to think my ears are a normal size, so you are welcome.

Good day sir :)

It wasn't needless as by saying 'apparently' it appeared you didn't believe the price of the early bird tickets last year. I was merely pointing this out that they were on sale for €25.

I never said that price tickets had gone up by 60%, hence i never disagreed with you on the point.

Anyway, this'll be my last post on the matter. I have no interest in getting into an argument with you over it.

I would like to think my ears are a normal size, so you are welcome.

Good day sir :)

You are taking it out of its context though! I'll leave you with this

nothing to see

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

From saveourball.com-

UCD Students’ Union have announced they are re-opening discussions with the University in relation to the cancellation of the UCD Ball.
    No announcement from either side is expected before Monday afternoon.
    UCD SU President Paul Lynam said “The Save Our Ball campaign has played a massive part in getting the University back to the negotiating table and I’m encouraging everyone involved in the campaign to keep up the good work.”
    “The momentum behind the campaign has been phenomenal, in just 5 days; we have had over 3,000 people join us on facebook, along with almost 1,300 people signing the petition on www.saveourball.com. We have also had support from all over Ireland and in the media, with Ray Foley, and Miriam O’Callaghan just some of the people who had come on board to try and save the UCD Ball 2011.”
    UCD SU Entertainment Officer Jonny Cosgrove said “This is our ball; it’s up to all of us to save it The SU will explore every possible avenue but we need everyone to join us on facebook, twitter and sign the petition on savetheball.com. This is only the first step in a difficult and intricate process and cannot be done without the full support of all UCD students.”

They existed in the presale, which means they existed. Hence his point is correct (since he specifically referred to pre-sale tickets in his post).

I know they were early bird tickets as I was one such early bird who got them at 25 euro.

They existed in the presale, which means they existed. Hence his point is correct (since he specifically referred to pre-sale tickets in his post).

I know they were early bird tickets as I was one such early bird who got them at 25 euro.

"The second part is what I don't understand. How after a 60% ticket price increase." That is the original point which I replied to, post #356. He has not specified anything about pre-sale tickets here. I'm not sure how many more times I will have to specify that. Fair enough, no pre-sale was offered this year, but that does not mean that all the tickets were 60% more expensive than last year, as suggested by the quoted line. In reality, it was a small minority of tickets that were going on the cheap.

You are taking it out of its context though! I'll leave you with this

nothing to see

The fact that this post was edited is absolutely disgraceful. The link was to Chris Morris, a satirist. It was clearly never intended to be taken seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I got to page 20 of the comments and I couldn't read anymore because it was annoying me so much.. At the end of the day, there's absolutely no 2 ways about it, its the SU's fault. Probably not the UCD Authorities, the Gardai, whoever else they're trying to pawn the blame onto. They get paid so much money and, don't get me wrong, in fairness I don't doubt it's a tough job, but this was their job. This is undoubtedly the biggest event in UCD and they really just made a total cock up of it. Forget this crap of "ooh hearsay this..don't believe the rumours". At the end of the day, they were unorganized and overall really shady about the whole thing and they should be ashamed of themselves. Esp. Jonny, this is supposed to be his time to prove himself as an ENTs officer. He did exactly the opposite and he really should be ashamed.

That said..the facebook page was in jest (comments about the IRA and stuff) but they did go a little bit far, some people don't know where to draw the line :rolleyes:

Advertisement