Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

"The second part is what I don't understand. How after a 60% ticket price increase." That is the original point which I replied to, post #356. He has not specified anything about pre-sale tickets here. I'm not sure how many more times I will have to specify that. Fair enough, no pre-sale was offered this year, but that does not mean that all the tickets were 60% more expensive than last year, as suggested by the quoted line. In reality, it was a small minority of tickets that were going on the cheap.

I can read English, I know that is what you were saying. Nevertheless, since this post you have been pretty blasé about the existence of early bird tickets (saying things such as apparently for example)
    Early Bird ticket offerings of €25 were not replicated, and can easily be seen as having a 60% increase [(40 - 25)/25].

If you're going to be pedantic, be right.

You then replied to that by saying "He is wrong. There was limited pre-sale in which tickets were apparently 25 euro. For the large majority (over 80%) who paid 35, there was no 60% increase this year. Cheers.". And I said that the fact the pre-sale tickets existed at all means there was a 60% increase for some. Emmett was correct. Whoever you were discussing earlier isn't that important as I was replying specifically to your post replying to Emmet. There was no apparently about those tickets. They existed. Hence my point.

If you concentrated more on what people are saying and what they are referring to instead of continuing a discussion about post 365 and giving snide responses like "Cheers" you would realise what I and others are referring to. Whether the original person who mentioned a 60% increase left out that they were just referring to early bird tickets or not, numerous others have since clarified that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Jesus fucking Christ, move on from the ticket price 60% argument. Seriously. It's been going on for 4 days and 75 posts, and nothing has been achieved, so I'm putting it to bed. Next post I see in this thread with "60%" in it gets deleted. MMkay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Oh yeah, the other day I was asked who the SU had received confirmation from to say that the college would be closed from 1PM. It was Martin Butler, the Vice President for Students. Only after he made this guarantee did the SU go to the Gardaí and DL/R CC in order to submit their applications for the licence for the ball, which was granted in Ferbruary.

http://www.universityobserver.ie/2011/04/07/su-admits-to-misinformation-regarding-ucd-ball-as-negotiations-reopen/
    Delighted that Cosgrove had finally admitted he lied to us about the security breach anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JonnyCosgrove

with regard to the tickets, we used common sense, the use of the word lie is a bit OTT, we couldn't put tickets on sale put the ball wasn't cancelled, so we had to stall so as not to shoot ourselves in the foot with regard to negotiating. Any other suggestions as to how you would have handled this (we aren't perfect), I'm open to all.

And to put the tickets thing to rest.

last year 500 early bird tickets were on sale @ 25.

the rest went @ 35.

this year they went @ 40 to as a result of(among other things) 1) prepping a new venue with site access for years to come, which also must be left intact (its a sports field and will be in use almost immediately after the event) whereas last year we knew building was to take place afterwards & 2) the gardai stipulated for lower numbers this year so we had to move ticket price in line with this

Oh yeah, the other day I was asked who the SU had received confirmation from to say that the college would be closed from 1PM. It was Martin Butler, the Vice President for Students. Only after he made this guarantee did the SU go to the Gardaí and DL/R CC in order to submit their applications for the licence for the ball, which was granted in Ferbruary.

Interesting, I had suspected it was 2 separate people alright. So Martin Butler promised it, but Philip Nolan backed out. Though the question now becomes whether Butler overstepped his authority in promising it. Someone should try and get his side of the story.
    the use of the word lie is a bit OTT

Would you prefer "communicated a deliberate and blatant untruth"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Ball tickets in 2008 were €15 for what was IMO the best ball during my time in UCD.

B*witched.

with regard to the tickets, we used common sense, the use of the word lie is a bit OTT, we couldn't put tickets on sale put the ball wasn't cancelled, so we had to stall so as not to shoot ourselves in the foot with regard to negotiating. Any other suggestions as to how you would have handled this (we aren't perfect), I'm open to all.

In your mind, what exactly is a lie? Because saying something you know to be untrue is seemingly not a lie.

Ah would you ever give over! You lied, whether you had good intentions or not. Hopefully it all works out alright today anyway.
    last year 500 early bird tickets were on sale @ 25.

Yet another figure regarding early bird tickets. Glad my slight level of confusion has been vindicated anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahoyhoy

word lie is a bit OTT

To lie is a verb. It means to say something that is not the truth. QED - you lied. At least admit it and you can maintain a small amount of respect and confidence from your students. I've been following this as a Trinity student because everyone always complains about how MCD make our ball cost so much but at least it went ahead!

Also this is a nice little get out clause isn't it?
    This is only the first step in a difficult and intricate process and cannot be done without the full support of all UCD students.

And Oasis_Dublin, have you seen this???
    Raphael wrote: »
    Jesus fucking Christ, move on from the ticket price 60% argument. Seriously. It's been going on for 4 days and 75 posts, and nothing has been achieved, so I'm putting it to bed. Next post I see in this thread with "60%" in it gets deleted. MMkay?

LET IT GO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

The use of the word lie is a bit OTT, we couldn't put tickets on sale put the ball wasn't cancelled, so we had to stall so as not to shoot ourselves in the foot with regard to negotiating.

How you worded the above explanation would indicate your intention to misinform.
    Any other suggestions as to how you would have handled this (we aren't perfect), I'm open to all.

Have a read of the thread perhaps. :rolleyes:

Or here's a summary:

1) Get an offical legal contract signed by the appropriate person with the required authority so they will be obliged to follow through with it.

2) DO NOT lie to the students you were elected to represent in regard to "stalling" :rolleyes: ticket sales. I believe the buzz word of the SU for some time has been transparency...

3) DO NOT patronise students by saying "you wouldn't believe the headliners we've got even if we did tell you".

4) Maybe send out an official email to all students in regard to UCD Ball Cancellation explaining exactly what happened including specifics and maybe a timeline of how the planning application and liaising with UCD Authorities progressed. Clear up the hearsay and what people have heard from "people they know who work in UCD".

5) Explain how the SU will learn from this experience to improve and smoothen the application for UCD Ball 2012.

6) A number of groups have been blamed the Gardai and UCD Authorities but in the end the buck falls to you, the ENTS Officer. You promised a bigger and better ball in your manifesto, probably the most important part of your job and the one that has the most effect of student but did not deliver. Take the responsibility, apologise and you might hang on to some respect from the students you're are meant to represent. The UCD Ball was organised fine the previous two years, why not this year? Was the SU overambitious and took on too much with having to be granted planning for the Ball? Was there inadequate planning? An enquiry should be done into why there was such a lack of communication between the SU and the UCD Authorities.

7) And finally, Johnny, show that you still have a grasp of reality if the ball does not go ahead and RESIGN!!!

I have more but I'm too lazy to do your job for you.
    I'm sure others will be more than happy to add to this.

• Advertisement

Ahoyhoy wrote: »
    And Oasis_Dublin, have you seen this???

LET IT GO!!!

Not at all! I refuse to let sensationalist BS stand! With regards to the ball, the reinstatement of the ball was supposed to be announced today. I'm not sure what's going on now.

The ENTS officer this year should be fired. There is no way an unblotted record as ENTS officer should be allowed to appear on any of his Curriculum Vitae in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Not at all! I refuse to let sensationalist BS stand! With regards to the ball, the reinstatement of the ball was supposed to be announced today. I'm not sure what's going on now.
    Fairly sure I saw something on facebook earlier about an announcement being made tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

I heard the ball will be on Easter Saturday now...

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

Arr, this be on the facebook:

"UCD Ball Update
    Protest tomorrow called off.
    Emergency meeting of class rep council @ 12pm in the Atrium, Student Centre to vote on a UCD Ball deal!"

So apparently it's not gonna be announced to the rest of us until after that..

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Who even cares anymore? Even if it goes ahead, the acts were a massive fail from the start, I heard Ellie Goulding was headlining but like..I saw her in Tripod for €25 in November. There'd need to be a massive headliner for them to even slightly retain credibility, and lets be honest that is not going to happen.

Jonny you should have just owned up and told the whole truth. Surely, SURELY you knew there'd be uproar over the lineup anyway, like Jesus Christ! Republic of Loose..??! REALLY? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭CG328

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    How you worded the above explanation would indicate your intention to misinform.

4) Maybe send out an official email to all students in regard to UCD Ball Cancellation explaining exactly what happened including specifics and maybe a timeline of how the planning application and liaising with UCD Authorities progressed. Clear up the hearsay and what people have heard from "people they know who work in UCD".

The SU did try to email every student on recent events but it was blocked by UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

CG328 wrote: »
    The SU did try to email every student on recent events but it was blocked by UCD.

Brilliant new website!

...dunno if you've heard of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭CG328

Dwaegon wrote: »
    Brilliant new website!

...dunno if you've heard of it!

I never said they didnt use facebook, I just stated that emails were not allowed to be sent to students. Thats all.

CG328 wrote: »
    I never said they didnt use facebook, I just stated that emails were not allowed to be sent to students. Thats all.

Was it put up on their page though?

Seems to be a distinct lack of common sense knocking about Belfield...

• Advertisement

Was it put up on their page though?

Seems to be a distinct lack of common sense knocking about Belfield...

Which part of blocked by UCD don't you understand?!

Which part of blocked by UCD don't you understand?!

Email was blocked, or information was blocked?

Please, be more clear with your words!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Its now on Easter Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Fair play to them I'd say. I critcised Ents when I thouht they screwed up and I say good job when they get it right. Any idea when who's actually playing it will be announced?

Email was blocked, or information was blocked?

Please, be more clear with your words!

The email was blocked. Hence, "The SU did try to email every student on recent events but it was blocked by UCD." It literally could not have been any clearer! Hence, my reasonable question as to why you are confused.:)

Glad to see Parker parker kunt (joke, relax, it's merely a play on your name! Could not be less harm intended) is keeping up his new found hobby of liking any post designed to discredit something I've written anyway!

OSI wrote: »
    That makes no sense. The SU send out newsletters on a regular basis and have emailed the entire student body with notices in the past. What's makes this one so different.

THEY WERE BLOCKED BY THE VICE PRESIDENT FOR STUDENTS!

The email was blocked. Hence, "The SU did try to email every student on recent events but it was blocked by UCD." It literally could not have been any clearer! Hence, my reasonable question as to why you are confused.:)

Glad to see Parker parker kunt (joke, relax, it's merely a play on your name! Could not be less harm intended) is keeping up his new found hobby of liking any post designed to discredit something I've written anyway!

I thanked it because you were asked to clear up whether the email was blocked or the information was blocked from being released in any format (SU website, facebook, twitter etc). I agreed with his point, as it was a pretty important point and didn't feel the need to write a post saying "yes I agree". You weren't being clear as the poster said. Hence my thanks. I'm not a fan of clarifying the obvious, but seemingly it is needed here.

Oasis_Dublin, you're clearly getting too worked up over all this. Take a week off to cool down.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

sooooooo....

any news on who is actually headlining this joke of an event?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

A ball on Holy Saturday? Jesus won't like this. He won't this at all.

Advertisement