Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

A ball on Holy Saturday? Jesus won't like this. He won't this at all.

It's grand, it's the one day he's properly dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Journal is reporting that capacity will be limited to 4,999 to avoid the need to get a new event license. This is down from the previous 8,000 capacity, so tickets will be even more scarce. Oh dear. :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

The email was blocked. Hence, "The SU did try to email every student on recent events but it was blocked by UCD." It literally could not have been any clearer! Hence, my reasonable question as to why you are confused.:)

Glad to see Parker parker kunt (joke, relax, it's merely a play on your name! Could not be less harm intended) is keeping up his new found hobby of liking any post designed to discredit something I've written anyway!

Out of curiosity, are the SU stupid enough not to keep their own email list?

haha

I'm glad to see we have such geniuses managing our money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

Interesting turn of events. Wonder when we'll get an announcement on a lineup, ticket prices and ticket sales...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Raphael wrote: »
    Oasis_Dublin, you're clearly getting too worked up over all this. Take a week off to cool down.

Did you ban him for a week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

I'd say so! No nonsense allowed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

bnt wrote: »
    The Journal is reporting that capacity will be limited to 4,999 to avoid the need to get a new event license. This is down from the previous 8,000 capacity, so tickets will be even more scarce. Oh dear. :rolleyes:

I reckon bringing it down to 5,000 won't be a problem. Plenty of people from outside Dublin will go home for Easter, or being going away for Easter, and others' minds will have started to turn towards exams. I know its only 2 days later but the first set of exams are only a week after. I wouldn't be surprised if some people don't go as a result.

Plus the whole momentum has kind of gone out of the ball imo, seems like a bit of an anticlimax now. I think 5,000 capacity is about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Yes. Need to say that in a more obvious fashion, someone usually asks for clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahoyhoy

Yes. Need to say that in a more obvious fashion, someone usually asks for clarification.
    Jonathan wrote: »
    Oasis_Dublin: Quit trolling. Next time its a ban. Actually, after re-reading your posts, have 1 week ban.

Was this done in co-operation with Jonathon on the TCD Ball page? Because the trolling was ridiculous, the guy clearly had a thesaurus on his lap while typing.

Nope, that's a beautiful coincidence. Both in one day, what are the odds.

Anyway, back on topic. Ball and such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

OSI wrote: »
    155038.PNG

Try: http://www.ucdents.com

Also I reckon we won't hear any line up for a while now. Since they only got the go ahead to have the Ball on the 23rd at SU Council at 12pm today, so they could only start booking people after that.

I think they have their work cut out for themselves to organise a whole Ball in less than 2 weeks and I wish them luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Here's the bit I don't get, the Tribune article seems to suggest that the decrease in tickets won't effect the budget for the acts because the decrease in size will mean a decrease in costs.

Assuming we're dropping from 8000 - 5000, thats 3000 less ticket sales at 40e each. Anyone wanna ask what facilities we were spending 120,000e on. Keeping in mind we're going to need the same fencing, stages, sounds and probably more security because more people will try and gate crash.

I think this is more a jab at loose reporting then then SU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

As a crusty old post-doc with no plans of attending the ball, I must say now that it seems to be back on, I can't wait to see if these amazing headliners are going to materialise and who they will be, or was it all hot air since the ents officer had anticipated the ball being cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

I'd be very surprised if it sold out before they announce some headliners. Between the last week of rumours and messups, the fact that its two days closer to the exams and that its at a weekend (and that its still 40eur a ticket) I'd be surprised if demand hadnt dropped significantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Blut2 wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if it sold out before they announce some headliners. Between the last week of rumours and messups, the fact that its two days closer to the exams and that its at a weekend (and that its still 40eur a ticket) I'd be surprised if demand hadnt dropped significantly.

It lacks the whole "yah it is the last day" feeling too. Though as I said in page 1 of the thread, Good Friday did put a spanner in the works that was unfortunate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Blut2 wrote: »

Very curious as to why they're limiting a student card to two tickets? Would've thought that 10-20% of the patrons were non-UCD students

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Very curious as to why they're limiting a student card to two tickets? Would've thought that 10-20% of the patrons were non-UCD students

Theres less tickets than originally planned and it is supposed to be a private party not a public one so it sounds about right to me.

Unless of course the tickets don't sell as well as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭the explorer

My friends and I have held off from buying tickets until the lineup is announced or at least partially announced. I realize that it only got the go ahead 2 days ago, but I still want to be sure.

I agree with previous posters about possible lack of demand. Last years ball was good cos it was after lectures in the morning and excitement was building throughout the day, it's gonna seem a bit weird getting up on Saturday morning to go out to a pre session.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

As a crusty old post-doc with no plans of attending the ball, I must say now that it seems to be back on, I can't wait to see if these amazing headliners are going to materialise and who they will be, or was it all hot air since the ents officer had anticipated the ball being cancelled.

well dates have changed, i'd be suprised if they get same acts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

go to the ball, support your college, have a laugh with your friends, this is coming from an SU-hater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Jackmcg

moby was the unannounced headliner for ucdball round 1.. armand van helden headlinin for round 2

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I was in the Student centre yesterday and overheard one of them responding to the question of 'what acts will there be?' with 'when we get them we'll know'. Jesus wept the organisation of this thing boggles the mind.

I'm curious if there will be any shenanigans on Thursday.Or will people behave for the sake of the ball?

Honestly, I'll put good money on people not behaving for the balls sake. People who had made plans to go to the original ball, lost out and can't make saturday will just show up and drink on thursday anyways.

If they had acts confirmed for Thursday, would they not be able to just change it for Saturday? Obviously without knowing who they have and their commitments its hard to know, but surely there would be quite a few that they could just change the date with, especially as its in the afternoon so if they are booked for that evening they could still do it. Think that happened with Calvin Harris last year?

Same goes for all the security, food/drinks, infrastructure etc. Doubt the date change is much of a hassle to them, would just take a phone call to change it.

Honestly, I'll put good money on people not behaving for the balls sake. People who had made plans to go to the original ball, lost out and can't make saturday will just show up and drink on thursday anyways.

+1 on that, I reckon there will be shenanigans on Thursday. I reckon there will also be a strong security presence as well, sh1t might go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

WeeBushy wrote: »
    If they had acts confirmed for Thursday, would they not be able to just change it for Saturday? Obviously without knowing who they have and their commitments its hard to know, but surely there would be quite a few that they could just change the date with, especially as its in the afternoon so if they are booked for that evening they could still do it. Think that happened with Calvin Harris last year?

Same goes for all the security, food/drinks, infrastructure etc. Doubt the date change is much of a hassle to them, would just take a phone call to change it.

Im sure some of the acts are easily changed but it is a Saturday so many would have gigs in other parts of the country, if not abroad, which wouldnt make a simple changing of dates feasible. With any of the bigger acts they more than likely couldn't try to book/rebook them until agreement was reached with the college. It looks like they have also learned their lesson from last time and will release all acts in one bunch rather than risk any sort of lower act backlash again. Selling tickets before releasing the acts is a massive gamble though as they will be beyond slated if they dont live up to peoples expectations.
    +1 on that, I reckon there will be shenanigans on Thursday. I reckon there will also be a strong security presence as well, sh1t might go down.

Cant see this happening as there will only be problems if the number of students who try to drink on campus/running track is above the level that the security and Gardai can handle. I dont see this being likely for a number of reasons: a)people who are going to the ball will be studying and/or wont go out of their way to cause hassle (4999 is significant part of the student population), b) they'll probably run normal last day of term stuff in the bar which will drag a decent portion of students in, c) the weather next week isn't supposed to be decent enough to make people want to sit outside and drink, d) UCD authorities/SU have obviously seen the facebook pages etc promoting drinking at the racetrack and will have have warned security & Gards so they'll be ready for it. Unless people turn up in one massive crowd the first few smaller groups will get done which will scare off the remainder.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Im sure some of the acts are easily changed but it is a Saturday so many would have gigs in other parts of the country, if not abroad, which wouldnt make a simple changing of dates feasible. With any of the bigger acts they more than likely couldn't try to book/rebook them until agreement was reached with the college. It looks like they have also learned their lesson from last time and will release all acts in one bunch rather than risk any sort of lower act backlash again. Selling tickets before releasing the acts is a massive gamble though as they will be beyond slated if they dont live up to peoples expectations.

Cant see this happening as there will only be problems if the number of students who try to drink on campus/running track is above the level that the security and Gardai can handle. I dont see this being likely for a number of reasons: a)people who are going to the ball will be studying and/or wont go out of their way to cause hassle (4999 is significant part of the student population), b) they'll probably run normal last day of term stuff in the bar which will drag a decent portion of students in, c) the weather next week isn't supposed to be decent enough to make people want to sit outside and drink, d) UCD authorities/SU have obviously seen the facebook pages etc promoting drinking at the racetrack and will have have warned security & Gards so they'll be ready for it. Unless people turn up in one massive crowd the first few smaller groups will get done which will scare off the remainder.

Good points and probably true. I was just idly speculating but you're probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Good points and probably true. I was just idly speculating but you're probably right.

It would be a lot more fun though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I always thought that the UCD Ball should be held the day after the exams officially finish; so something like the 15th May every year. It would make sense because then people wouldn't be missing out on study days.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

I always thought that the UCD Ball should be held the day after the exams officially finish; so something like the 15th May every year. It would make sense because then people wouldn't be missing out on study days.

Yeah but when you have a whole week or more for study week, most people would take the last day of lectures off study anyway. So really unless you're feeling extremely studious, you wouldn't be missing anything.
    The fact that it's 2 days after the last day of term, maybe eats into study, but you could just study on the last day of lectures if you want to make up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Think a fair few people would already have gone home by that stage. Last day of classes is the only chance you have to get everybody in the same place at the same time.

One missed day of study won't make or break anybody.

Advertisement