Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Rubber bandits could be the headliner since they aren't listed there . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

unknown13 wrote: »
    Fight Like Apes played the Shag ball, Bluemoose played sometime in semester one (pretty sure it was the opening day of Arts week), Republic of Loose played in the first semester. It seems to be like that they are getting the acts that play the student bar.

They would have a better line-up if they just got everyone who played the Student Bar throughout the year.

Rubberbandits would be a poor headliner imo, you need someone with a good catalogue of generally known tunes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Lack of any East17/S Club/Saturdays is desperately disappointing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

i fail to see the way we can get example pro green tinchy stryder and tinie tempah not my personal faves but there big names and for the big day out we get a host of bands tht ya can see once a week over here nearly and most of spin 1038's djs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Very poor line up, even by previous UCD ball standards. Republic of Loose again? AGAIN?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

No, I was only joking. The suspense was killing me. Not

Unfortunately I'm not to familiar with all these small acts so don't know if I like them or not. Are they all dance DJs?
    I know of Republic of Loose though, and like them. Am hoping for a cheesy group along with a good headliner though

Ah. No, not many dance DJs at all unfortunately. The lineup seems to be mostly generic C list bands that are always floating around the student bar, very poor value for 40euro. Consider last year that we had Calvin Harris, The Saturdays, Iglu & Hartly and The Vengaboys (along with a similar lineup of C-listers as well) all for 35euros.

Iyaz is the only act so far this year thats not of student bar calibre and hes quite the one hit wonder, from his two other singles I've heard theyre not exactly festival stuff too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Awful line-up. This is the one thing that Ents simply HAS to get right all year and frankly, they screwed up big time. Then again, this is what you get when you waste money on a fashion show that few people cared about and on a ferris wheel instead of getting good acts for "the biggest private party in Europe" as we are constantly reminded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

This is simply awful. Compared to Trinity's ball its absolutely desperate.

Ents would want to be shot for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Fight Like Apes are decent, apart from them its pretty sh1t. You had me excited with the Ellie Goulding comment, hate you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Theres a good aul backlash on the UCD ents facebook page

"Cheers for the deadly line-up... I saw mr Domino making a delivery to the arts block yesterday, is that where all of the budget is gone cause I coulda pulled off a better lineup with the change in my pocket"

"As Julian Casablancas once eloquently said:...."Is this it?"

"how did UCD ball tickets spike in price even though we have crappier acts.... did someone eat the budget....???? "

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Tickets have been postponed on being sold tommorow and moved to monday because of a "breach of security", ie. so they can sort this s*** out and get in some proper acts and a good headliner. Either that or Johnny spilt his pizza and dutch gold on the tickets and they have to print new ones ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

The **** line up doesn't surprise me at all. UCD Ents have been (pretty much) rubbish since I started here three years ago.

UCD was once the bastion of promoters who went out of their way to book innovative acts. UCD Ents was once forward thinking. Now the Student Bar is home to washed up, crap 90s pop bands, tedious rock tribute acts and the odd commercial, 'safe' rap or indie act.

The UCD Ball sums that all up. Most of the line up so far are unadventurous rock bands or cover acts.

Republic of Lose - 'Safe' Irish rock band that have played the student bar a bunch of times.
    Royseven - More 'alternative rock'
    O Emporer - More 'alternative rock'. At least they're up and coming though.
    Bluemoose - Cover band
    Lost in Flight - More 'rock'
    Daft Funk - Cover band.

As far as I can see, Brandon Block (for being a bit different) and O Emporer (for being up and coming) are the only decent bookings. Not that I'd travel far to either of them.

In the late 1970s, the bar held host to the likes of The Radiators From Space, Eddie and The Hot Rods, Tom Robinson, The Boomtown Rats and a host of new, exciting punk bands. In the 1980s, it became infamous for hosting some of the best acid house and early rave acts. The Shamen played the Rag Ball in 1991 ffs!

Christy Moore used to play Theatre L in the late 60s. You had Motorhead in the bar in 1980 and The Police a couple of years later.

Now what to you have? S Club 2 and a half? Bluemoose? And if your lucky, some commercial electro act like Boys Noize for the true 'Raverz!!11'

I don't know what happened but everything changed by the early 2000s. It all became about cheap drink, commercial crap and booking, run of the mill, unadventurous performers.

Paddy Ryan "knows for a fact" that the headliners are "amazing"...S Club perhaps? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

guys, read that page... Some serious funny comments....

"the only craic at the UCD ball this year is gonna be johnny cosgroves fat arse"

"Student bar) Is that Jonny Cosgrove ?... is he, is he wearing a crown??"
    "well he is the burger king"

Or my personal favourite... "A condom with a hole in it would be more useful than the Jonny we have at the moment!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

1968 wrote: »
    It all became about cheap drink

If only! I think most people here would be perfectly happy with this lineup if tickets were going to be 10 or 15euro and pints were going to be 3euro at it. The problem is that when ticket prices are so high people actually expect good acts, something Ents seem to have failed spectacularly to provide this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Blut2 wrote: »
    If only! I think most people here would be perfectly happy with this lineup if tickets were going to be 10 or 15euro and pints were going to be 3euro at it. The problem is that when ticket prices are so high people actually expect good acts, something Ents seem to have failed spectacularly to provide this year...

That point was directed towards the whole Ents/UCD Student Bar experience in general than the UCD Ball itself but I get where ya coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭the explorer

the sad thing is that this will probably sell out, over 7000 people are "attending" on the fb page.

with regards to pricing its gone up by €5 to €40 and no early bird tickets either. I went last year, thought it was ok as a once off thing, dunno about again though. Entry not guaranteed after 5pm, leaving you forced to pay €5 for a small plastic tray of chips. Thats just outrageous profitteering, not premieum pricing. LAst year was also a sunny day, I imagine it would have seemed a lot worse if it had rained though.

I saw "ozzy" giving a pitch in one of my lectures today, promising what sounded like a fantastic ents programme, though I seem to remember Cosgrove giving a similar one this time last year:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Gingy wrote: »
    The only rumours I've heard is that all rumours are false, because nothing is booked yet.

Lets be honest, even if it's Crystal Swing or aboriginal didjeridoo players at the Ball, it's still going to be a class event.

Still stand by this after hearing the line up? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The UCD Ball is the ultimate event at which to score. In this context, who's playing at it is... Largely irrelevant. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The event page on facebook has become abuse central. Which is unfair on Jonny despite the line up being poor.

• Advertisement

Apparently there are 4 headliners to be announced. If that is the case them I am optimistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

The event page on facebook has become abuse central. Which is unfair on Jonny despite the line up being poor.

I know, it's gone too far. But to be fair, I get why people are angry. Increasing ticket prices and lowering the standard of acts is a joke.

The UCD Ball is the ultimate event at which to score. In this context, who's playing at it is... Largely irrelevant. ;)

you'd get a hooker for less than €40 ticket price, two €5 pints and a €5er tray of chips though.

And you'd probably get better background music for it too.

you'd get a hooker for less than €40 ticket price, two €5 pints and a €5er tray of chips though.

And you'd probably get better background music for it too.

133143d1252671957-evora-racecar-house-do-want_thumbnail.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

the price difference is because of the loss made on the fashion show earlier in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

the price difference is because of the loss made on the fashion show earlier in the year

is that true?

If thats true then thats the biggest load of ****ed up **** ****e I've ever heard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I'm having a great time reading the comments on facebook

"Jonny Cosgrove secretly had lots of potatoes during the famine, and he hid the potatoes in pillows and sold them abroad in potato fairs. And he closed down a lot of the factories that were making the potatoes and turned them into prisons for children. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

mloc wrote: »
    is that true?

Sorry. I should have said from what i heard, thats the reason it's dearer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Fight Like Apes played the Shag ball, Bluemoose played sometime in semester one (pretty sure it was the opening day of Arts week), Republic of Loose played in the first semester. It seems to be like that they are getting the acts that play the student bar.

Bluemoose played instead of Aslan a few weeks ago. It was the same night that The Stone Roses Experience played. If only TSRE were headlining...

Advertisement