Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball 2011

Options

Comments

UCD STUDENTS’ UNION

Saturday April 2nd, 2011

For Immediate Release

UCD AUTHORITIES FORCE UCD BALL CANCELATION

UCD Student’s Union regrets to announce that the UCD Ball due to take place on April 21st 2011 has been cancelled as a result of a failure by UCD authorities to honour agreements made with the Union.

A spokesperson for the Union said “We have been left with no choice but to announce that the UCD Ball will not take place after University authorities reneged on the commitment, given to the Students’ Union to close campus as per the stipulations laid down, resulting in the criteria of license agreement not being met.”

The difficulty relates to Item 4.3 of the agreement between the University and the Students’ Union, which states the following:

“UCD Campus will close to both pedestrian and vehicle traffic except emergency services and event related transport from 13.00 on Thursday, April 21st.’

The failure by UCD authorities to meet this specified agreement now means the ball cannot take place.

The Students’ Union has met ALL criteria of the license agreement. Over the past week, the Students’ Union has worked tirelessly to put forward a huge range of options in terms of a possible alternative.

Students’ Union President Paul Lynam has stated “University Authorities have acknowledged that the commitment given to the Students’ Union on October 21st should have been honoured and major mistakes were made on the part of University Authorities.”

Lynam added “I feel that this is the lowest point in my presidency and as a student body we have been let down by our University Authorities.”

"This has been a very difficult decision but the University has ensured that there is no feasible way that the UCD Ball can take place.

Students’ Union Entertainments Officer Jonny Cosgrove has expressed his outrage and disappointment at the events that led to the cancellation of the ball. He said, “The UCD ball was due to be the highlight of our students’ calendar and I cannot begin to express the deep sense of frustration and anger following the last couple of weeks.”

"Our Union ENTS team had worked tirelessly to facilitate the UCD Ball we must now announce the cancellation of the ball with immediate effect. I am deeply saddened that the University Authorities have denied the students of UCD an end of year ball, in particular I feel for first year students who have been denied a full first year experience and final year students who are now facing not having the ball that they deserve in their last days in UCD”

The Students’ Union will communicate an explanation to students via www.ucdsu.ie. In addition, the Students’ Union will hold an emergency meeting of the Students’ Union executive on Monday to discuss in detail the next steps.

link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

*edit*

Looks like it actually has been cancelled.. jayzuz. Feel bad for Johnny!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I'm awaiting the torrent of abuse on the UCD Ents facebook page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahoyhoy

Totes shenanigans! Cancelled because of a lack of headliner more like. See ye all in Trinity on Friday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Well in fairness, the SU has been a bit of disaster this year - especially Ents. I'm not hugely convinced by this press release saying that the SU & Ents have no blame at all. It's probably because they weren't able to secure headline acts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 likelydropout

For some reason I am experiencing an almost uncontrollable urge to punch a baby in the face.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

real question is... why is it called a ball if if isnt black tie, no meal served? its a second rate day festival at the best of times, i think ucd needs to move away from the way it was going with it anyway, it was inevitable it was going to be stopped sooner or later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

So disappointed at this news. Was really looking forward to experiencing this day, even if the acts weren't going to be the biggest or the best, I was still looking forward to finishing 1st year off with this massive event! Feeling really let down by the UCD authorities...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

real question is... why is it called a ball if if isnt black tie, no meal served? its a second rate day festival at the best of times, i think ucd needs to move away from the way it was going with it anyway, it was inevitable it was going to be stopped sooner or later

Thats not the real question at all. It was set up as an alternative to people drinking all over campus as the case was 3-4 years ago. This way they could contain everything.

I would say it wasnt a coincidence the line up was crap. Also I wonder how much ents will lose now in costs already incurred like sound,light,security etc.

Complete cock up .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

I dont understand how they thought a) that UCD Admin would ever agree to closing the campus to both pedestrian and vehicle traffic at 1pm on a weekday (they never did this in previous years) and b) how theyve only just found out that UCD Admin wont agree to this, 10 days in advance of the ball. I very much doubt Admin said "Ok thats grand" 6 months ago and just suddenly changed their mind...

Its all very convenient altogether that after pushing back ticket sales twice now its cancelled...coincidentally while theres still no headliner announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

UCD AUTHORITIES FORCE UCD BALL CANCELATION

They can't even spell!

stop wrote: »
    They can't even spell!

UCD has really gone to the dumps lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Blut2 wrote: »
    I dont understand how they thought a) that UCD Admin would ever agree to closing the campus to both pedestrian and vehicle traffic at 1pm on a weekday (they never did this in previous years) and b) how theyve only just found out that UCD Admin wont agree to this, 10 days in advance of the ball. I very much doubt Admin said "Ok thats grand" 6 months ago and just suddenly changed their mind...

Its all very convenient altogether that after pushing back ticket sales twice now its cancelled...coincidentally while theres still no headliner announced.

Yep, sounds like absolute bull**** to me. Shameful ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CMoonheadNo1

This is a dark day for UCD.

What an embarassment this is for the SU. Without question the most incompetent bunch of officers they've ever had down there.

Blaming your consitant **** ups on the authorities? Even if it was the UCD Authorities decision that has ballsed everyones fun up (I doubt it mind), the lack of knowledge in the SU that they weren't playing ball (pardon the pun) should have been known before they started advertising and were supposed to have started selling tickets (another joke).

There's only one positive thing you could get out of this. Most of the money that hasn't been spent on this years ball could be put forward for next year which could potentially mean that it could be better than the 2010 UCD Ball.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

There's only one positive thing you could get out of this. Most of the money that hasn't been spent on this years ball could be put forward for next year which could potentially mean that it could be better than the 2010 UCD Ball.

The problem is that money was probably spent on the ball already. As there won't be any income in the form of ticket sales, there might not be much (or any) money left over to put towards next year's ball.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

The problem is that money was probably spent on the ball already. As there won't be any income in the form of ticket sales, there might not be much (or any) money left over to put towards next year's ball.

budgets dont roll over do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CMoonheadNo1

Um, I reckon they've already shelled out sheckles for lighting and sound on this event, all dead money and money that will leave ENTS in debt.

Well they should have it organised but with that incompetent bunch down there I wouldnt be surpised if they hadn't booked that stuff.

Let's hope that the 2013 UCD Ball will be good then.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

budgets dont roll over do they?

I have no idea! :confused:

• Advertisement

Why is UCD such a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

I don't think so at all. I think the idea behind the UCD Ball in theory is a good one and may have been gathering momentum (up until now).

Why does a ball have to be black tie? This for a lot of students would only be an added expense.

A meal? I don't think a meal is served at the Trinity Ball. And I doubt they could have such a large attendance as serving food to 6000 people would be completely impractical.

As someone else said it was brought about in an attempt to limit the spontaneous and uncontrolled drinking that occurred on campus in previous years. And if they had managed to secure one or two decent acts I think it would have been a success.

All in all I think that what has happened just goes illustrate the incompetence that is rife in SU.

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Why does a ball have to be black tie? This for a lot of students would only be an added expense.

Black-tie would be good though - it would certainly smarten up UCD's image.

Slightly off topic but someone was wondering how much officers are paid.

http://www.collegetribune.ie/index.php/2011/03/sabbat-pay-an-election-issue/

well every other 'ball' i have ever attended had been black tie...formal accepted in some cases, and most included a meal, to call what ucd run a ball is incorrect. its a day festival, but in reality its an attempt to cover up the real occassion, a massive p1ss up at end of year, calling a donkey a horse dont make it no horse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Lynam is currently trying to elected to the Seanad.
    Pat de Brun has been spending his time trying to get elected as President.
    Cosgrove has received enough abuse over the past week that I doubt he gives a f*ck about the ball at this stage.

I am not surprised a resolution couldn't be found with UCD.

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but someone was wondering how much officers are paid.

http://www.collegetribune.ie/index.php/2011/03/sabbat-pay-an-election-issue/

It really is a joke considering that the SU hasn't done a tap all year. Lately the SU elections have all been about lining each others pockets with students' money - scandalous considering the times we're in. I don't believe that the pay of UCDSU officers has been cut, even slightly, which is absurd considering the fact that the rest of the country is taking a 20% pay cut. The pay should be cut to around €12,000 a year, which is more than enough considering the little work they actually do. That way you can cut down on the people who only do it for the money and invest more money in student services.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Lynam is currently trying to elected to the Seanad.
    Pat de Brun has been spending his time trying to get elected as President.
    Cosgrove has received enough abuse over the past week that I doubt he gives a f*ck about the ball at this stage.

I am not surprised a resolution couldn't be found with UCD.

I know this is a bit off topic but is Lynam party or non-party.

well every other 'ball' i have ever attended had been black tie...formal accepted in some cases, and most included a meal, to call what ucd run a ball is incorrect. its a day festival, but in reality its an attempt to cover up the real occassion, a massive p1ss up at end of year, calling a donkey a horse dont make it no horse

But the UCD 'Ball' evolved from the idea of the Trinity 'Ball' (which is black tie but no meal). I think at the time of the first UCD Ball there was debate on whether it should be black tie or not and as it was the first time they were worried people would be turned off buying tickets if it was black tie. Also as you said its more of a day festival and I doubt many people would to go to oxegen in their tux or gown.

But all in all i don't think the actual name matters. It's just meant to be an enjoyable day to end the year. Which won't be happening now.

• Advertisement

I know this is a bit off topic but is Lynam party or non-party.

non-party according to the college tribune.

Advertisement