Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Ball 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

well every other 'ball' i have ever attended had been black tie...formal accepted in some cases, and most included a meal, to call what ucd run a ball is incorrect. its a day festival, but in reality its an attempt to cover up the real occassion, a massive p1ss up at end of year, calling a donkey a horse dont make it no horse

Will you stop talking rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

stop wrote: »
    They can't even spell!

Yep!
    Lastest Twitter

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

In fairness, at a social occasion would you rather looking like;

A)
    jonny-full-size.jpg

or,

B)
    hf2-tuxedo.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    But the UCD 'Ball' evolved from the idea of the Trinity 'Ball' (which is black tie but no meal). I think at the time of the first UCD Ball there was debate on whether it should be black tie or not and as it was the first time they were worried people would be turned off buying tickets if it was black tie. Also as you said its more of a day festival and I doubt many people would to go to oxegen in their tux or gown.

But all in all i don't think the actual name matters. It's just meant to be an enjoyable day to end the year. Which won't be happening now.

i was merely curious to why its called a ball? thats all, hardly rubbish, valid points, just looking for justification of the 'ball' title. I always wondered what was up with it

A)
    [IMG]http://www.universitytimes.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/jonny-full-size.jpg[/IMG or, B)[/img]IMG

B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭James_sb

Will you stop talking rubbish.

Actually, melekalikimaka has a point. UCD Ball is a good name for the event, but it is just an end of term piss up. My first few years in UCD didn't have a 'ball' at the end, we all went to the student bar and what was then the pit outside the Forum bar. Then ended up drinking all round campus. The ball takes care of that for everyone, and lets people meet up with friends and random people they met during the year. Good fun in all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

A)
    jonny-full-size.jpg

or,

B)
    hf2-tuxedo.jpg

Who's the second guy? I definitely would!! :D:D:D (& I think a Trinity-style ball would ROCK, dressing up is nice to do now and again, AND they actually get decent performers)

Anyway, I haven't really got anything new to say on the topic but this year's SU, in particular Ents, has been an absolute farce all year. **** all decent on campus or in the bar (I don't want to be going to nightclubs all the time, gets stale, boring & I could do that anytime). It's pretty sad when the highest profile people playing in the student bar all year were a one hit wonder novelty act. I've heard a lot of rumours about the corruption and profiteering going on recently and if they are true it's absolutely disgusting and a complete and utter joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Fcuk sake.

damselnat wrote: »
    Who's the second guy? I definitely would!! :D:D:D

See? Guys in tux's are 60% more likely to get laid! (Estimate)

damselnat wrote: »
    Who's the second guy? I definitely would!! :D:D:D

Would what?

• Advertisement

Would what?

Sexify!:D

Dwaegon wrote: »
    See? Guys in tux's are 60% more likely to get laid! (Estimate)

So is this why the Trinity Ball is such a high profiled event ...

... hmmmm, we could learn something from our archrivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Out of interest how much were trinity ball tickets this year? They're usually around €70 or so?

To me they're line up isn't super. Although they do actually have a good few more names I'd know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

So is this why the Trinity Ball is such a high profiled event ...

... hmmmm, we could learn something from our archrivals.

Uncontested fact, man in a tux = ride

If in doubt, or have any questions, see this man james-bond.jpg

Out of interest how much were trinity ball tickets this year? They're usually around €70 or so?

To me they're line up isn't super. Although they do actually have a good few more names I'd know.

€70 to go to an event where I have a better chance of getting some hole with my fancy tuxedo. DEFFO!!

€70 to go to an event where I have a better chance of getting some hole with my fancy tuxedo. DEFFO!!

But every guy would be in a tuxedo. Does that not mean everybody's chance of scoring would increase equally? therefore making it obsolete?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Re the Ball Debate (what a cool name for a debate!), aren't there enough black tie balls throughout the year anyway? And it is common enough in Universities worldwide to call the end of term event a ball regardless of whether you have a meal. What else are you going to call it? The UCD One Day Festival? The UCD stand around and ignore music day?! Sure it's the day you go to UCD and have a ball of a time. Enough reason to call it a ball in my eyes :pac:

Also, were they holding it in the running track this year? I remember last year we were saying on here that Cosgrove's plans to hold it there wouldn't work out (and some just laughed at the idea of holding it there!). Shame though, last years Ball was brilliant.

But every guy would be in a tuxedo. Does that not mean everybody's chance of scoring would increase equally? therefore making it obsolete?

I don't care, Black-tie events general have a little bit more decorum.

a little bit more decorum.

great word

I don't care, Black-tie events general have a little bit more decorum.

Black tie means you need somewhere to sit and be civilised. The first UCD Ball was black tie, wasn't half as good as the ones that followed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 FiendishFriend

Seems UCD Authorities are to blame after all, know from somebody working in UCD that the facebook page was being closely monitored by authorities in UCD and probably boards too. Apparently UCD thought from all the comments on the page there would be trouble on the day and so cancelled it !! So really all those morons posting the sick comments are to blame. I was really disappointed to hear it was cancelled and thought the line up was piss poor and the tickets waaaaaaaay too expensive but ya can't go sending death threats to someone. One guy said he was gonna send the IRA after jonny !!! NOT COOL!!! All because of a few bands????
    Complain all you want but do it in a reasonable way. UCD really did have to take those comments seriously because if it had gone ahead and trouble did break out there would have been no excuses !!! Also all those retarded comments on the facebook page made us look like the biggest bunch of ignorant pigs ever... We're supposed to be highly educated, articulate people, some of the brightest in the country they'd have us believe yet we leave comments like " I'm gonna f**k you up "
    Also must add this is a first for me defending anything the union do

Black tie means you need somewhere to sit and be civilised. The first UCD Ball was black tie, wasn't half as good as the ones that followed.

How come Trinity can organise great balls that are black-tie and have great line-ups, etc.. but UCD can't?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

MCD organise Trinity Ball, TCD ents have very little to do with the 'line up'. ( Yes, they do a lot of organizing, but no real input in choosing acts )

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

Seems UCD Authorities are to blame after all, know from somebody working in UCD that the facebook page was being closely monitored by authorities in UCD and probably boards too. Apparently UCD thought from all the comments on the page there would be trouble on the day and so cancelled it !! So really all those morons posting the sick comments are to blame. I was really disappointed to hear it was cancelled and thought the line up was piss poor and the tickets waaaaaaaay too expensive but ya can't go sending death threats to someone. One guy said he was gonna send the IRA after jonny !!! NOT COOL!!! All because of a few bands????
    Complain all you want but do it in a reasonable way. UCD really did have to take those comments seriously because if it had gone ahead and trouble did break out there would have been no excuses !!! Also all those retarded comments on the facebook page made us look like the biggest bunch of ignorant pigs ever... We're supposed to be highly educated, articulate people, some of the brightest in the country they'd have us believe yet we leave comments like " I'm gonna f**k you up "
    that excuse is lies it says on the su site they were arguing for weeks over it but they still announced a lineup.there spewing lies at the mo trying to cover it up

Perhaps they only call it a 'ball' so they can slap a €40 price tag on it and be able to say "Well...it's cheaper than trinity!"

How come Trinity can organise great balls that are black-tie and have great line-ups, etc.. but UCD can't?

I didn't say they couldn't. Just that I prefer the dressed down approach and if it is to be held on campus (which is better), black tie doesn't suit. Maybe when the new Student Centre is open, they'll have more suitable venues for a black tie event. As it is, it is held outdoors and that doesn't sound like a good tux and gown scenario.

If they hold a black tie event, the tickets will be increased to offset the cost of renting somewhere. And that would mean taking it off campus too. An on-campus, dressed down, cheaper day sounds better to me.

Edit: The MCD point raised above is pretty good too.

You hearing something from someone you "know" in UCD is quite circumstancial evidence. The fact is the union have some of the blame for not getting there act together on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

The UCD Ball appealed to me because of the cheaper ticket (in comparison to Trinity Ball) and the casualness of it. I went last year, didn't listen to a single act and had a fantastic time. Sure, black tie events are fun but there are dozens of balls throughout the year - plenty of opportunity to get dressed up!

For me, the UCD Ball was different and you could make a whole day out of it. We had a BBQ last year and pre drinks in a nearby house, then hit up the ball around 4pm. The weather was awesome and chilling out with friends in a field, drinking and messing was a nice change from the usual pre-drinks, hit a nightclub, out till 4am thing.

Of course the ball wasn't perfect - but most people were having too much fun to notice. The bar was a mess, jammed and served only beer for most of the day. The acts weren't great (but better than this year's selection anyway) but there were few people who even passed any heed of them.

I'm not in UCD anymore and hence sorta out of the loop but where were they planning on holding it this year? Last year's venue (which is now a carpark I think) was perfect. Miles better than the concrete in front of the student centre the previous year. It'd be hard to beat last year's set up.

Anyway, long and short of it is, I'm not surprised it was cancelled this year but it is a pity for those looking forward to it. I also think the UCD Ball as a festival is a better idea than a black tie event and can only hope next year's SU does a better job at organising it!

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    MCD organise Trinity Ball, TCD ents have very little to do with the 'line up'. ( Yes, they do a lot of organizing, but no real input in choosing acts )

Well there's your solution. MCD should organise the UCD Ball in the future, not the incompetent UCD Ents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 FiendishFriend

Tom1991 wrote: »
    that excuse is lies it says on the su site they were arguing for weeks over it but they still announced a lineup.there spewing lies at the mo trying to cover it up

I don't think they could get away with blatantly blaming the UCD Authorities like that though, Surely UCD wouldn't put up with that right?? There would be serious repercussions for the union if they stated in and white on their website that UCD Authorities were to blame when it was in fact their own fault. I don't think they are that thick to try and do that.. Also know for a fact that academic and admin staff in ucd were monitoring that page and will not be surprised if some of those people have to face disciplinary action

Advertisement