Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four Gardai on Assault Charges at Waterford Circuit Court

• 11-03-2011 2:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭

Four on charges of assault causing harm. One on unlawfully attempting to impede an investigation?

Apparently they have been caught on CCTV in the act.

Good grief.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Any links a chara?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Was in the paper a few weeks back. Dunno who they bet up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

they just had the mistfortune too be caught in camers in the act of doing:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Think it's in this weeks munster. It's like something out of a film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I heard about this a year ago, apparently the lad, pinched an off duty ban-garda's a$$, he was handcuffed and beaten while he was hand-cuffed. Rodney King anyone???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Max Powers wrote: »
    I heard about this a year ago, apparently the lad, pinched an off duty ban-garda's a$$, he was handcuffed and beaten while he was hand-cuffed. Rodney King anyone???

Jaysus. they'd rob anything these days

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Max Powers wrote: »

I heard what happened a while ago and needless to say thats not it although in this town I'm surprised worse stories haven't been thrown around.
    There's going to be so many legs added to that story by the time is finished and given that it happened in Waterford I reckon the case will be thrown out because they cant get a fair hearing.

Only in Waterford

Rodney king may be a bit of an exaggeration lol. Gonna be fun listening to all the stories people heard though.

Edited cost I can't spell lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Im not so sure its funny, the Gardai going around thinking they are above the law themselves. There have been numerous scandals over the last few years such as up in Donegal with that McBrearty case, planting guns for pretend arms finds, DUI and knocking down some kid in Dublin couple years back, Garda using surveillance to keep tabs on her ex-boyfriend (in paper last week I think) and now Abu Gharib style beatings here.

I would like to point out that I have no ill feelings about the Gardai, im friends with a few, however, speed traps on safe roads such as the ORR, industrial action before they use new software systems and above really erode their credibility

Thankfully its only a minority who are fookers but we don't hear about the good things because they are boring and don't make the news. Will be interesting to see what happens with this one.
    One of em in trouble is a fairly well known chap around town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

There names are printed in the papers so you can metion him id say Seany. Also i see one of them no longer has sgt in front of her name!

Ah they are mentioned and all haha oops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭munsterman2008

what do you guys reckon? will they be retained as members of the Gardai, or dismissed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

what do you guys reckon? will they be retained as members of the Gardai, or dismissed?

Innocent until proven guilty.

If guilty then I would guess that they will be dismissed.

The newspaper mentioned that the defense, being the Gardai, have applied for the handover of CCTV. This implies that the whole incident has been recorded and somehow the prosecution got their hands on it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Hope they get whats coming to them, although the way vigilante Gardai are protected in this country I wont hold my breathe. Remember a month or two ago some Gardai in Dublin were caught on CCTV knockin the baysus out of some chap in speeding car? On CCTV & still walked free.

Scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I heard what went on on the night and it was pretty shambolic. If I recall correctly, it resulted in the CCTV cameras in Waterford being unmanned for quite some time.

I don't understand, you mean the guards refused to watch their own CCTV across the city in protest or what??

I don't understand, you mean the guards refused to watch their own CCTV across the city in protest or what??
    Sounds fairly unlikely tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

No, as in one of the officers involved was one who was trained to use and operate the CCTV equipment.

• Advertisement

God, say that then.

Hahaha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 keeper29

The newspaper mentioned that the defense, being the Gardai, have applied for the handover of CCTV. This implies that the whole incident has been recorded and somehow the prosecution got their hands on it first.

The gardai could not be the defense in this case. Not sure of the ins and outs of this incident but the prosecution could only be commenced by AGS themselves(on receipt of a complaint from injured party) or the ombudsman.
    The defense would then be whichever solicitor is representing the members of AGS prosecuted.
    In any case, the defense is always entitled to sight of any statement or exhibit (CCTV etc) intended to be used by the prosecution in court.

The defence is surely the four Gardai involved? I don't know who is technically the prosecution in this i suppose your right it would be AGS yeah?

I don't really see your point to be honest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Wouldnt the prosecution be the state and not the gardai?

When Gardai make an arrest, they prepare a file with all information on the case, witness statements, evidence, etc and this is then sent to the office of the DPP (Director of Public Prosecutions) who review the whole file and see if there is a legal case there and enough evidence to prosecute the defendent.

Once there is, its the DPP who take the case on behalf of the state against the defendents, in this case, the 4 Gardai.

If there is a case like this, usually, the Gardai would be put on leave on partial or full pay from their duties and no action can be taken by AGS against them unless they are found guilty.

If found guilty, then chances are that they could be removed from the force and possibly face jail sentences for assault, etc.

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

As far as i know there on leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

was one of them up on trial previously a bar man before he became a member of the force ?

was one of them up on trial previously a bar man before he became a member of the force ?

Wanst convicted if he was I presume. Dunno tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

sounds like CSI Waterford will be the next hit show.....maybe Perry Mason can defend 'em!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

UhOh wrote: »
    Hope they get whats coming to them, although the way vigilante Gardai are protected in this country I wont hold my breathe. Remember a month or two ago some Gardai in Dublin were caught on CCTV knockin the baysus out of some chap in speeding car? On CCTV & still walked free.

Scum.

There was a hell of a lot more to it than that and he wasn't just speeding. You might want to look it up again, the lad was a right chancer. He robbed someone at knifepoint, stole a car, led the Gardai on a high speed chase through the city for ages, crashed the car and then when he was pulled out he started kicking out at the Gardai and spitting at them. Does that not deserve use of the baton at all? The CCTV verified what the colleagues of the accused Garda had testified to and he had not used excessive force.

http://www.examiner.ie/breakingnews/ireland/garda-used-justified-force-against-suspect-477415.html

I don't think it's fair to go making up stories just as much as it isn't right for a Garda to abuse their power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

seanybiker wrote: »
    Was in the paper a few weeks back. Dunno who they bet up

You can read about it here:

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/four-gardai-sent-for-trial/

Advertisement