Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four Gardai on Assault Charges at Waterford Circuit Court

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    hmm dunno me man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Ya seemingly these gougers been watchin too much nypd blue,and think its grand to bate up people on the streets "allegedly" and the camera coppers getton done for helping em try cover it up. ... also allegedly

Goes round comes round,lock em up!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 shebzy

hopefully the undercover bacon will get whats coming do them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

What was really comical about the whole thing was that allegedly the CCTV operator upon seeing this alleged attack contacted those who were committing the act to warn them that they were on CCTV. However, he was using a means of communication that is recorded. He then allegedly repositioned the camera so that those involved were out of frame.

All 4 of them deserve everything that's (hopefully) coming to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

AdMMM wrote: »
    What was really comical about the whole thing was that allegedly the CCTV operator upon seeing this alleged attack contacted those who were committing the act to warn them that they were on CCTV. However, he was using a means of communication that is recorded. He then allegedly repositioned the camera so that those involved were out of frame.

Well if that's the case the CCTV operator deserves to be sacked. Talking about poor judgement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭baldbear

AdMMM wrote: »

Where did you hear that? Thats sounds like the guard who is up for perverting the course of justice. I'd say the gaurds will get away with it, files will be lost or recordings destroyed. I remember a Galway guard who assaulted a woman at a taxi rank and got off on a "legal technicality"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭munsterman2008

deisedevil wrote: »
    There was a hell of a lot more to it than that and he wasn't just speeding. You might want to look it up again, the lad was a right chancer. He robbed someone at knifepoint, stole a car, led the Gardai on a high speed chase through the city for ages, crashed the car and then when he was pulled out he started kicking out at the Gardai and spitting at them. Does that not deserve use of the baton at all? The CCTV verified what the colleagues of the accused Garda had testified to and he had not used excessive force.

http://www.examiner.ie/breakingnews/ireland/garda-used-justified-force-against-suspect-477415.html

I don't think it's fair to go making up stories just as much as it isn't right for a Garda to abuse their power.

Jesus Deise Devil what are you on about, that article u left is in dublin I clearly said Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Jesus Deise Devil what are you on about, that article u left is in dublin I clearly said Waterford.

He wasn't replying to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭munsterman2008

haha sorry your right, apologies deisedevil!

They can't get away with it by it being brushed under the rug, those times are over its the Garda Ombudsman and local media etc etc now there has to be accountability.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

• Advertisement

letsbet wrote: »

Jaysus. Jail isn't going to be fun for them. They'll get released in a few days for their own safety or some shyte like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

Presume they'll be segregated, thrown in with the paedo's.

Sentence sounds extremely harsh but I guess they are making a point and if cctv was not available maybe they'd have got away with it. Shows what power they have and how corruptive it can be

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

It's a shame that thugs like that give the force a bad name but they got what they deserved imo so I have no sympathy for them.

There is no place for behaviour like that when your job is to uphold the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

seanybiker wrote: »
    Jaysus. Jail isn't going to be fun for them. They'll get released in a few days for their own safety or some shyte like that

Wasn't that the case recently with a cop that got sent down. Can't remember the case but it rings a bell.

lewisdhead wrote: »
    Wasn't that the case recently with a cop that got sent down. Can't remember the case but it rings a bell.
    Yeah . I can't remember exactly what it was. Think he served a night or two

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

The one very recently was a prison guard I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

seanybiker wrote: »
    Yeah . I can't remember exactly what it was. Think he served a night or two

Yeah, I think he was in for one night and then the judge changed his mind.
    The one very recently was a prison guard I think.

Thought it was an ex-garda. Ah well, doesn't make a difference when you're getting off scot free.

They won't serve their full sentences anyway that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Yeah, I think he was in for one night and then the judge changed his mind.

Thought it was an ex-garda. Ah well, doesn't make a difference when you're getting off scot free.

They won't serve their full sentences anyway that's for sure.

He was a Garda from Blarney who assaulted a man in Cork city centre one night and he cried in court after spending one night in court. He knew how to play the system....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

so if the Gardai are dismissed do they still retain their pension entitlements?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 vetec

Any trial of a Garda is a wast of time ( NOT GUILTY )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

charlemont wrote: »
    He was a Garda from Blarney who assaulted a man in Cork city centre one night and he cried in court after spending one night in court. He knew how to play the system....

http://eirigisligeach.blogspot.com/2011/05/release-of-garda-exposes-corrupt-two.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

lewisdhead wrote: »
    charlemont wrote: »

http://eirigisligeach.blogspot.com/2011/05/release-of-garda-exposes-corrupt-two.html

Very good article, with the sentences passed, it really should send a message out to renegade Garda.
    Sentences have to be enforced to have impact tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

vetec wrote: »
    Any trial of a Garda is a wast of time ( NOT GUILTY )

Eh... not true. The garda in this case were put on trial and found guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'm personally of the opinion that sentences for Gardaí should be more severe than for a lay person. They've been put in a position of great power and to abuse that is very serious. Just because you enforce the law does not mean you're above it.

As long as incidents like the above (guy being released after one day) continue to happen, the public's belief in the integrity of the Gardaí and the justice system will never increase.

Gardi in Ireland are the joke of Europe . 90% Corrupt worse than any mafia, I was surprised they where even found guilty but I do hope fare play exists in jail for them, They will not be in for long

:eek:
    Gardi in Ireland are the joke of Europe . 90% Corrupt worse than any mafia, I was surprised they where even found guilty but I do hope fare play exists in jail for them, They will not be in for long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I wouldn't go that far to describe them, They are not asking for bribes at the side of the road yet !! I think they are just like the politicians in the cute hoor type of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 n0_bunny

Gardai are being emasculated by rinky-dink assholes like this waterford skanger, the stupidity of individual moron coppers and the screamingly f*cked up priorities of the legal system, the legislature and the courts...

They command very little respect where it matters (among the violent and criminal), I think its awful. They are our police force, yet they cant seem to do nything right in this country- if they act friendly, we shout them down for being weak. If they batter some cowboy, we call brutality. I personally dont give a damn if some jackass gets punched around for swinging his jacket in a Garda's face.

I hope that it doesnt take some of the boards.ie posters being subjected to actual violent street crime (In Real Life, not just "oh i saw a fight outside a pub seven weeks ago as I was driving by") before they understand that violent people need to be coralled violently, and that sometimes violence IS the answer... Law is passed by politicians, elected by constituents, we all have a role to play. Maintaining a cynical hostility towards law and order verging on ambivalence until we are personally made victims is the worst strategy we could take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I sort of go along with your opinions n0_bunny except where the other instance comes into play, that's when our police decide to batter innocent civilians. In that case I think the scumbags should do serious time both for the crime and for bringing the job into disrepute. I do accept that in the present case the 'victim' was not innocent of wrong doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

i wouldnt say they are s corrupt as being made out her. albeit it depends on what way you think corrupt

Gardai won ever get fines, points on their licence or pay tolls etc. the can speed knowing that if they chat o whoever stops them theyll get away with it. the same when it comes to talking on phones(off duty) and not wearing seat belts etc. they will get priority call outs if the need to call teguards, fir service, ambulance and so on. theyll be seen first in A&E. they get away with being late on insurance road tax and MOT.

these are not things im making up or exaderating these are facts as i know first hand.

the guardai are mostly nice people. alot of them want to do good. but alot of them consider it a job and will not go the extra mile to help someone as its only a job. this is the wrong attitude. the emergency services is not a job. it is a service. they should be considered like the army and doing a national service. not just bitching about the pay check at the end of the week(we are all being screwed in our pay checks). theats the individual guard. they will help and alot of them are really helpful and nice to chat to.

but the directive from the higher up seems to be protect the stat and all things to do with the state. helping people seems to be a secondary directive in the irish police force. this is why we have so many incidents invloving protestors getting bashed up.

the guardai should be to protect and serve to people(like in the states) but instead here its to protect and serve the state

this is why when an idiot guard abuses his/her power and does something stupid they try to sweep it under the rug and move the guard or else the fire the guard as the cant be thrusted to protect the state anymore.

again they should protect the people not the state

Advertisement