Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four Gardai on Assault Charges at Waterford Circuit Court

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

at the end of the day it is not up to the guardai to decide who is inocent or guilty it is up to a judge.

abusing power is wrong whether its against a scobe or an inocent bystander

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

I think the CCTV footage had a huge impact in this case. It would be very interesting to see it. Given that it was described that the jury made an audible gasp when they viewed it, it must be fairly hard-hitting. It would be interesting to see what people's reaction to the sentences would be if they were able to view the CCTV. I wonder if it will ever be made public?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

in all fairness anybody who has had to deal with the Police in Spain, Italy or Portugal would have a lot of time for our Gardai.

There are of course a few bad apples but lets be fair here, the vast majority of Gardai are very professional and do a very good job in very stressful situations.

I for one would never be willing to put up with the abuse and crap they take without issueing some serious beatings.

The biggest problem in this country regarding Police Brutality is the lack off it!

The Police Ombudsman seems to have put an end to a lot of "we'll look after the lads" stuff that used to go on.

If the judges gave proper sentences & the hippy prison rights lot would get a grip, then the Guards wouldn't have to waste their time re-arresting the small majority of scumbags over & over again. I'd be fair disillusioned if I was a copper.

as for this case ... they were out of order if they beat this guy up for no good reason .... but is there a back-story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Icky Thump wrote: »
    i wouldnt say they are s corrupt as being made out her. albeit it depends on what way you think corrupt

Gardai won ever get fines, points on their licence or pay tolls etc. the can speed knowing that if they chat o whoever stops them theyll get away with it. the same when it comes to talking on phones(off duty) and not wearing seat belts etc. they will get priority call outs if the need to call teguards, fir service, ambulance and so on. theyll be seen first in A&E. they get away with being late on insurance road tax and MOT.

these are not things im making up or exaderating these are facts as i know first hand.
    That is some load of bollox.
    I'm forever paying me brothers toll for him cos he doesn't have a visa card so asks me to pay.
    Mot wouldn't know about since we in ireland.
    Speeding etc. Another load of bollox as I know of guards who get stopped and have points on their license.
    Be seen first in A and E hmmmmm they must be fierce slow then cos me father was out there all night waiting to be seen a few months back. Then had his operation cancelled a few times cos they where busy.
    Call outs. Not that I remember.

Yeah some are muppets, same as any job.
    Knowing a few guards and hearing stuff in the pub doesn't make every cop a plonker. You'd be surprised by the amount of cops who love catching up cops or their family doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Maybe true for some Seany, but like the other poster I've witnessed the opposite to what your saying first hand. Been in the car countless times with them, get stopped for speeding, on the phone, no seat belt oh and drink driving. But think anything ever came of it.

• Advertisement

Maybe true for some Seany, but like the other poster I've witnessed the opposite to what your saying first hand. Been in the car countless times with them, get stopped for speeding, on the phone, no seat belt oh and drink driving. But think anything ever came of it.
    Oh na jaysus. It probably does go on. You witnessed it so that's fair enough for me. I witnessed other side, and I will admit the night I got caught drink driving and the cop found out who I was. He said he would get me off and apologized for pulling me over. That's what I don't want. I just said. Do me the way the law is. I'd be embarrassed talking to me nate's after getting off with something I shouldn't have.
    I remember years ago I acted the Prat. The fella I done it to said the only reason he didn't press charges was because everyone who seen it, including my friends , told him to do me coz I was a cops son. Fair enough it wasn't anything major I done. Still think tiddler is a prick though haha.

Getting in a car with a drink driver is silly ya bold boy lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Premier

comeraghs wrote: »
    in all fairness anybody who has had to deal with the Police in Spain, Italy or Portugal would have a lot of time for our Gardai.

Not true, If you speek the lingo their sound ( spanish police ), Know a lot of them while working there for years, They will do anything to help you, Also come into to residents bars at night for a brew and a chat to the locals. Also help you with fines etc, :D

There are of course a few bad apples but lets be fair here, the vast majority of Gardai are very professional and do a very good job in very stressful situations.

Agree theres a few good cops here too have installed a lot of tv systems in their homes, Good payers too ;)

I for one would never be willing to put up with the abuse and crap they take without issueing some serious beatings.

Thats bollox, serious beatings !!! it's their job they choose to take, so do the job their paid to do, they get paid to listen and take the ****e.

The biggest problem in this country regarding Police Brutality is the lack off it!

What a statment :rolleyes:

The Police Ombudsman seems to have put an end to a lot of "we'll look after the lads" stuff that used to go on.

About time too

If the judges gave proper sentences & the hippy prison rights lot would get a grip, then the Guards wouldn't have to waste their time re-arresting the small majority of scumbags over & over again. I'd be fair disillusioned if I was a copper.

Couldnt imagine you as a copper with that atitude, Would only end in tears

as for this case ... they were out of order if they beat this guy up for no good reason .... but is there a back-story?

everyone has a story to tell, Thay were found guilty end off they just didnt get what they deserved.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

seanybiker wrote: »
    That is some load of bollox.
    I'm forever paying me brothers toll for him cos he doesn't have a visa card so asks me to pay.
    Mot wouldn't know about since we in ireland.
    Speeding etc. Another load of bollox as I know of guards who get stopped and have points on their license.
    Be seen first in A and E hmmmmm they must be fierce slow then cos me father was out there all night waiting to be seen a few months back. Then had his operation cancelled a few times cos they where busy.
    Call outs. Not that I remember.

Yeah some are muppets, same as any job.
    Knowing a few guards and hearing stuff in the pub doesn't make every cop a plonker. You'd be surprised by the amount of cops who love catching up cops or their family doing something.

yea sure its not true for alot but it is true for most. i like yourself know people in there and if you read my posts youll see im actually trying to speak good about them.

im just saying that thats what ive witnessed first hand. im not saying its the worst thing in the world. im saying that thats the most of the "corruption" ive seen and if thats the worst that most Guards do then we as a country are alo better off than other countries.

as for the other point about spain, portugal etc................ youve clearly never been to eartern europe. latvia, bosnia, cech etc. youll be robbed by police that will pull you over.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

In today´s indo,Anthony Holness is taking civil action against AGS,worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

In today´s indo,Anthony Holness is taking civil action against AGS,worth a read.

Had to dig for the link but - http://www.independent.ie/national-news/traumatised-victim-of-thuggish-gardai-to-sue-force-2932963.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I see that in another incident in Waterford a Garda has received a suspended sentence and fine.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1222/garda.html

In the news again for all the wrong reason´s,that´s 4 garda in waterford now with criminal conviction´s their mothers must be very proud.

Fecking hell. Some hard man him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Three months suspended for punching a handcuffed man? Bollocks to that. He should have gotten some jail time

Will he lose his job over this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

I've talked to paramedics before that picked up injured people from the garda station finding injurys caused from falling over and such :rolleyes:

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Three months suspended for punching a handcuffed man? Bollocks to that. He should have gotten some jail time

Will he lose his job over this?

He can appeal the conviction but if it is upheld on appeal, yes he will be dismissed from the force.

This case was heard in the district court not the circuit court so maybe it should have it´s own thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I don't know much of the facts of this case...but before I go on with my relatively ignorant opinion...do we know the "victims" in this case? Have they been named?

I don't know much of the facts of this case...but before I go on with my relatively ignorant opinion...do we know the "victims" in this case? Have they been named?

Some polish fella.

Two polish guys that were arrested earlier in the woodland´s hotel for public order offence´s.This case was up last month when the court heard evidence from a female garda that she heard mc kenna say to the two suspects¨welcome to Ireland, your not in poland now¨,followed by a loud bang,when she rushed into the room she saw mc kenna on top of one of the suspect´s.Evidence was also given by Sgt Alan Kissane of seperating garda mc kenna and the suspect and he then uncuffed the suspect.
    Sgt Kissane was recently acquitted in the Anthony Holness assault case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Watched a row last night in town and it was pitiful to watch the febble attempt the guards made to break it up,
    I know one of the guards in particular and he was never frightend to get stuck in.

I know the cases being discussed warranted prosecution but are we in danger of our police force becoming stand offish for fear of being brought on charges.

Let's face it, we are living in a nasty society right now and some times fire needs to be fought with fire.

^^^^
    In the holness case he was handcuffed and pepper sprayed before the assualt took place,in this case the suspect was handcuffed when assualted a fact highlighted by Judge kennedy.In each case more then reasonable force was used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Nypd wrote: »
    Watched a row last night in town and it was pitiful to watch the febble attempt the guards made to break it up,
    I know one of the guards in particular and he was never frightend to get stuck in.

I know the cases being discussed warranted prosecution but are we in danger of our police force becoming stand offish for fear of being brought on charges.

Let's face it, we are living in a nasty society right now and some times fire needs to be fought with fire.

The problems the Gardai face now with creditability are of their own creation. The only fire that needs to be fought is the internal resistance to total and complete openness and impartiality when Gardai are being investigated.

Even now there is "code" of silence, ie, you don't grass on a fellow Garda, irregardless of what he or she has done. Until the Gardai demand the highlest level of adherence to the law from one another then cases like this is reoccur and an already poorly thought of force will see yet more public confidence eroded.

Advertisement