Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is a cheap interior door? Is it hard to replace?

• 11-03-2011 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

see title...........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

You'll pick up a cheap internal hardboard door for €40'ish.

Not being funny but if you have to ask is it easy to replace for you then it probably isn't. For someone who knows what they are doing and has the tools POP done in no time.

All you have to do is measure the existing opening, cut/plane to width and length, rebate hinges, lock and handles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Yeah, its easy when you know how, but if you're not familiar with it, then get someone else to do it for you..

If you sit the hinges too deep into the door, it'll have trouble closing and will always spring open etc....
    You need to be careful when you're planing the doors, so as to keep the edge of the door straight.. Lots of little things to watch out for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

1198 x 760mm 6 panel internal doors in BnQ at the moment for 30-35 euro (excluding door handles/hinges)

Cheap and cheerfull,if thats what you are after.

see title...........

see my reply (lol).:p:D

Pic of BnQ door for 30 euro.

Not too bad for 30 euro tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pARTner81

try the freebies sections on or http://www.adverts.ie/free-stuff. I like freebies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I have to replace a door tomorrow and do not have a clue. Can you buy a door with the recesses for the hinges and the lock already done ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Joe10000 wrote: »
    I have to replace a door tomorrow and do not have a clue. Can you buy a door with the recesses for the hinges and the lock already done ??

No sorry you can not

ok thanks, I'm fooked so

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dub12Dave

Joe 10000 you could always have a look at prehung doors.

• Advertisement

Dub12Dave wrote: »
    Joe 10000 you could always have a look at prehung doors.

Interesting !! never heard of them, will take a look now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

On the subject of doors, have these doors, see pic, will paint em white, dont like the current handles, what is involved in changing the handles from the black ones in attached pics to steel ones

could I get away with changing the handles only, or do I need to replace the "internal bit"

BTW i don't ever lock the doors, just open/close em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

k123456 wrote: »
    On the subject of doors, have these doors, see pic, will paint em white, dont like the current handles, what is involved in changing the handles from the black ones in attached pics to steel ones

could I get away with changing the handles only, or do I need to replace the "internal bit"

BTW i don't ever lock the doors, just open/close em

There should be no problem in doing that, take off a handle and take out the bar that connects the two handles and bring it to the shop to check if they fit the new handles. Just to note, if you dont buy handles that have a keyhole for the lock ie - its a handle only you will be left with a hole in the door where they were drilled for the key mechanism. You could try to fill them, which shouldnt be a problem if you are painting the doors, as the filler once sanded wont be seen (if done correctly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Thanks Snyper,

had intended to paint em myself,

Wonder would it be cheaper to remove em, bring em and and get them spray painted and possibly a better finish

Advertisement