Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours cat driving my dogs totally mental

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kitiara

There is no easy way of resolving this problem. But, the most peacefull -and best for all involved - is for you to tecah the dog to accept cats in his territory. After all, cats are all around us. You may be able to keep this one out of your garden, than you move house in 5 years time and have the same problem again. Get the dogs used to cats. Or, alternately, get a cat yourself.Cats are territorial and won't accept another cat in their garden.They only have to convey that message once..and you will be surprised how quickly dogs can accept cats.It requiers a bit of training and getting used to, and full supervision in the begining, but once you are through with that, your problem is solved.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

a cat is not a dog - it cannot be chained or confined to walled run unless the walls are so high, it can under no circumstances climb them.

Cats can be confined, plenty of posters on this forum have done just that, either made their garden cat escape proof or just not let their cats out. And some of these cats were previously outdoors cats
    i may hate swallows pooing all over my garden in late summer but there isn't a lot i can do to stop them so i just grin and bear it. i hate wasps and bees flying around me when i'm outside when it's warm and i have an ice-cream in my hand, again, it's nature. should i shoot the swallows? should i kill the bees or wasps for being what they are?

The animals you mention there are wild animals, this cat is a pet so can and should be contained onto the property of it's owner. Further more its a pet of the person threatening the OP with complaining to council about OP's dogs barking at her cat. A lot of cat people think its acceptable for their cats to wander into other people's property but would you think it acceptable for people who own birds of prey to let them fly around the neighbourhood causing a nuisance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Simply answer get a cat or preferably two (for company) then teach the dogs to be nice to cats. It will be easier because your cats will be around & in the house with the dogs.

If you leave your dogs alone outdoors & anything makes them bark then it is your responsibility.

Discodog wrote: »
    Simply answer get a cat or preferably two (for company) then teach the dogs to be nice to cats.

Thing is though all that will happen is the dogs won't bark at their cats, they'll still bark at the neighbours cat because that cat doesn't belong to the family so is an intruder.

There's plenty of dogs will get on perfectly with house cats and chase non-family cats, or be safe with their own rabbits but kill wild rabbits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Simply answer get a cat or preferably two (for company) then teach the dogs to be nice to cats. It will be easier because your cats will be around & in the house with the dogs.

If you leave your dogs alone outdoors & anything makes them bark then it is your responsibility.

While I agree with the latter part of your post I have to disagree with the start for 2 reasons; you should never get another pet to solve a problem with the pets you have. Unless the OP wants a cat he's likely to resent the costs, time and problems that comes with having cats.

Also, Harley was raised with cats, he is happy enough for my two to be in the garden but other cats still get chased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

my dog loves her little cat brother but like other posters have said she barked at any other cat that came near until i trained her not to. Occasionally she'll still go mad barking but stops once prompted.

Its a matter of looking at what in this situation you have control over OP, you cant control the cat, or your neighbour but you can control your dogs. It'll probably take ages but it is possible. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Ok so I should of added a :rolleyes: :D

The key point is that if the dogs are left unattended & especially outdoors, then the owner is not in control of their barking. My little Nutter used to bark at birds - try keeping them out. We had a couple of cosy chats & now he understands not to bark.

My Greyhound used to go ballistic at the sheer audacity of a neighbouring cat that not only walked in the garden but deliberately passed close to the patio door. She now reluctantly accepts that the Cats are my friends - would she still chase one, you bet she would but we are working on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Our cats regularly provoke our neighbour's dogs into barking fits by walking along the top of our dividing fence ..... but then so does the ice cream van, passing kids, birds, neighbourhood dogs, owners coming home, owners refusing to let them in and any number of other seemingly random events. In the grand scheme of things the cats set them off far less often than other things, so I don't feel guilty about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

thanks to everyone for posting information to those who ask are the dogs bored i do have my dogs out for 2-5 miles walk everyday along with a run in the fields and they have total freedom in a secure garden all day so its not the case the dogs are bored and locked in the pen all day some people say get a cat i dont want a cat and if i wanted a cat i would have got one long and ever ago

some people say get the dogs use to cats but thats not going to happen because they are hunting dogs and to those that think the dogs bark at every little thing they dont its ONLY the neighbours cat they bark at because i have seen it with my own two eyes the cat teases the dog knowing that the dogs are locked in the pen

some people say keep the dogs in the house at night i dont think i should because i spent a lot of time and money on building dog pens that is warm and comfortable for the dogs to sleep in
    the cat only comes around at night when the neighbour puts the cat out at night so why cant she keep her cat in at night when she know that it drives the dogs nuts so in fairness why should i feel like its my problem when its her cat coming into my yard driving my dogs mental

• Advertisement

smokin ace wrote: »
    some people say get the dogs use to cats but thats not going to happen because they are hunting dogs and to those that think the dogs bark at every little thing they dont its ONLY the neighbours cat they bark at because i have seen it with my own two eyes the cat teases the dog knowing that the dogs are locked in the pen

some people say keep the dogs in the house at night i dont think i should because i spent a lot of time and money on building dog pens that is warm and comfortable for the dogs to sleep in
    the cat only comes around at night when the neighbour puts the cat out at night so why cant she keep her cat in at night when she know that it drives the dogs nuts so in fairness why should i feel like its my problem when its her cat coming into my yard driving my dogs mental

It seems like you have a few options that would stop the barking but you dont want to do any of them. So really if it continues its your choice. You cant be surprised that your hunting dogs have a problem with a small animal?

Its like someone else already said, even if your neighbour keeps her cat in forever there is no guarantee that a stray wont bother your dogs down the line.

A lot of cats are active at night thats probably why hers is outside at this time. I dont think she has any right to complain about the barking tho, but really you aren't willing to make changes to your set up why should she??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Cats don't have the right to roam free

What law are they breaking?

You're being the responsible pet owner. Your dogs are enclosed and safe and not encroaching on your neighbors property.

Having nuiscance dogs is the problem here.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

thanks to everyone for posting information to those who ask are the dogs bored i do have my dogs out for 2-5 miles walk everyday along with a run in the fields and they have total freedom in a secure garden all day so its not the case the dogs are bored and locked in the pen all day some people say get a cat i dont want a cat and if i wanted a cat i would have got one long and ever ago

It shouldn't be your problem, that cat owner is being extremely irresponsible by leaving the cat out after dark- hundreds of things can happen to a cat left out at night, and most of them fatal. Sounds like she's a bloody idiot who doesn't give a **** really. I have four cats who are indoors because of busy roads around us, but I would absolutely hate to think of them going onto other people's property and annoying them. Certainly, cats are cats, and will do what they want, but they can be contained and she, the owner, is obviously the problem here. If you can get photographs or take a video of the cat on your property, show them to her, and if she refuses to do anything about, threaten her with the guards. Her animal is trespassing on your property and something will have to be done about it.

Shanao wrote: »
    , threaten her with the guards. Her animal is trespassing on your property and something will have to be done about it.

What are the Guards going to do about it? Dont you think they have more important things to be doing with their time then dealing with a wandering cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Dog keeps coming into my garden and scaring my cat,swings and roundabouts

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

sambuka41 wrote: »
    What are the Guards going to do about it? Dont you think they have more important things to be doing with their time then dealing with a wandering cat?

I said threaten with the guards, not to actually go and do so. I mean if she continues to complain about the fact that his dogs are barking, when he would then have proof of why they're barking.

Shanao wrote: »
    I said threaten with the guards, not to actually go and do so. I mean if she continues to complain about the fact that his dogs are barking, when he would then have proof of why they're barking.

Oh yeah fair enough. She really hasn't a leg to stand on with the complaining, it is a bit rich.

It seems like you have a few options that would stop the barking but you dont want to do any of them. So really if it continues its your choice. You cant be surprised that your hunting dogs have a problem with a small animal?

Its like someone else already said, even if your neighbour keeps her cat in forever there is no guarantee that a stray wont bother your dogs down the line.

A lot of cats are active at night thats probably why hers is outside at this time. I dont think she has any right to complain about the barking tho, but really you aren't willing to make changes to your set up why should she??

i take you comments on board but i am the one being a responsible pet owner my dogs are licensed i spent a lot of money to make sure they have a warm comfortable bed to sleep in my dogs are not wandering around the housing estate sihtting all over the place what is the problem with my dogs being hunting dogs there is thousands of dogs in the country that would go bonkers at the sight of a cat so it not just because they are hunting dogs i understand cats wander around but why can the owner be a responsible cat owner as i have seen it with my own two eyes the cat walking back a forward 5 or 6 foot in front of the dog pen in my garden teasing the dogs
    why should i spend any amount of money trying to keep the cat out of my yard when the cat owner dont give a toss about her cat i am a dog owner and my responsibly is my dogs to make sure they are looked after
    why do some people think if they own a cat they can let the cat roam around and go where ever it likes without taking some responsibly if the cat is going into someones yard and causing such problems its the cat owners fault not the responsible dog owners fault

Cats are considered the property of thier owners in the eyes of the law. By extrapolation anyone who damges property (cats included I presume) could be liable to compensate the owner.

Also, cats are allowed to roam free as long as they are not harming anyone or their property. This cat is not harming anyone it is simply doing what a cat does.

In fact if you are renting from the loacal authority you may be in breach of their rules and regulations by keeping 'hunting dogs' on a property which you don't own.

I don't think you'll ever get 1 concise opinion where there's a dog v's cat thread, it always seems to me that most of the time it's poles apart. It always seems to come down to whether people believe cats have the right to roam or if people believe that any pet should be kept on its owners property unless it is accompanied no matter if it's a dog, cat, horse, bird or any other species. My personal opinion is that yes you do have to control your dogs barking, as much for your own nights sleep as to protect your dogs from the dog warden getting involved. Your neighbour doesn't have the right to let her pet roam into your property but it sounds like you won't get any joy from her.

If it was me I would put a cheap barrier on the walls to stop the cat from going down the wall to tease your dog. One of the other posters suggested a wooden board with nails in it, and to be honest I think it's a good idea. It would be really easy to blunt the nails so there would be no danger of the cat hurting itself but it would really discourage the cat from walking that wall. Cats are generally very smart and are problem solvers, and this cat really seems smart if it only teases your dogs when they're in their pen and can't get at it so it would immediately see that the path it normally uses is now far less accessable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

i take you comments on board but i am the one being a responsible pet owner my dogs are licensed i spent a lot of money to make sure they have a warm comfortable bed to sleep in my dogs are not wandering around the housing estate sihtting all over the place what is the problem with my dogs being hunting dogs there is thousands of dogs in the country that would go bonkers at the sight of a cat so it not just because they are hunting dogs i understand cats wander around but why can the owner be a responsible cat owner as i have seen it with my own two eyes the cat walking back a forward 5 or 6 foot in front of the dog pen in my garden teasing the dogs
    why should i spend any amount of money trying to keep the cat out of my yard when the cat owner dont give a toss about her cat i am a dog owner and my responsibly is my dogs to make sure they are looked after
    why do some people think if they own a cat they can let the cat roam around and go where ever it likes without taking some responsibly if the cat is going into someones yard and causing such problems its the cat owners fault not the responsible dog owners fault
    seems like you just don't like cats

Hiya,

I agree with your post. But, the law is unfortunatly against you there. It doesn't state cats have to be kept under control.
    So, it's a bad situation. The only possible solution I can think of is to make your own garden cat proof...you can't 'make' her do her's. Or maybe, and I am not sure if that would be feasable or even doable, could you put blinds up at the dog kennels so they can't see tha cat & vice versa?

I don't think you'll ever get 1 concise opinion where there's a dog v's cat thread, it always seems to me that most of the time it's poles apart. It always seems to come down to whether people believe cats have the right to roam or if people believe that any pet should be kept on its owners property unless it is accompanied no matter if it's a dog, cat, horse, bird or any other species. My personal opinion is that yes you do have to control your dogs barking, as much for your own nights sleep as to protect your dogs from the dog warden getting involved. Your neighbour doesn't have the right to let her pet roam into your property but it sounds like you won't get any joy from her.

If it was me I would put a cheap barrier on the walls to stop the cat from going down the wall to tease your dog. One of the other posters suggested a wooden board with nails in it, and to be honest I think it's a good idea. It would be really easy to blunt the nails so there would be no danger of the cat hurting itself but it would really discourage the cat from walking that wall. Cats are generally very smart and are problem solvers, and this cat really seems smart if it only teases your dogs when they're in their pen and can't get at it so it would immediately see that the path it normally uses is now far less accessable

That reminds me of something..cat's HATE netting. the green garden netting. They can't climb it, they can't get through it and, if put kind of diagonally of the wall they can't jump it either..call for a handyman here.
    thinking of something like this:

http://www.catfencein.com/brochure2.php
    but you should be able to do this yourselve, without any expensive orders..

Cats are considered the property of thier owners in the eyes of the law. By extrapolation anyone who damges property (cats included I presume) could be liable to compensate the owner.

Also, cats are allowed to roam free as long as they are not harming anyone or their property. This cat is not harming anyone it is simply doing what a cat does.

In fact if you are renting from the loacal authority you may be in breach of their rules and regulations by keeping 'hunting dogs' on a property which you don't own.

i am not in breach of any renting rules and regulations in regards to keeping dogs the renting rules clearly state domestic pets are allowed this would include both cats and dogs but the likes of pitbulls & bull terriers are not allowed to be kept on the property but i think you get the impression that my dogs are a cross breed of these breeds but they are not my dogs are whippets and that breed of dog the last time i looked are not on the dangerous dogs list

but i have checked the renting rules and it clearly states that any pet must be kept under control and must not cause a nuisance to other neighbours

but in my books if a neighbours cat is wandering into my yard and driving my dogs mental the cat is causing distress an being a nuisance to me and my pets

seems like you just don't like cats

to be very honest with you i neither like or dislike cats so its not like i have a vendetta against cats but if a cat is causing trouble someone is responsible and i believe its down to the owner of the cat to take responsibly of there cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

that breed of dog the last time i looked are not on the dangerous dogs list
    :( There is no such thing OP.

Who mentioned breeds?

but in my books if a neighbours cat is wandering into my yard and driving my dogs mental the cat is causing distress an being a nuisance to me and my pets

If our laws are the same as the UK's (and they usually are) then the cat owner is under no obligation to keep the cat under control. The cat is allowed to go where it pleases.

What this means is that your barking dogs are the problem not the cat.

Summary.

Your dogs barking may result in action being taken against you as neither the cat nor it's owner will be considered responsible.

good luck with it.

You mentioend the fact that your dogs are hunting dogs, they would be especially sensitive to small animals. If they weren't hunting dogs then you could train them not to bark at the cat.

I understand your point and it can be very black and white on here about letting cat out or not, but the cat is not entering your garden or doing damage, the problem is your dogs reaction to the cat.

In an ideal world this woman would compromise with you and keep her cat in at night and you'd put up with barking during the day, but seen as thats not happening you have to look at what you can control in this situation.

There are plenty of people who's behaviour I would love to change (esp the students who live next door) but I cant, what I can change is my reaction to them.

Bringing the dogs in at night sounds like a good solution.

You mentioend the fact that your dogs are hunting dogs, they would be especially sensitive to small animals. If they weren't hunting dogs then you could train them not to bark at the cat.

I understand your point and it can be very black and white on here about letting cat out or not, but the cat is not entering your garden or doing damage, the problem is your dogs reaction to the cat.

In an ideal world this woman would compromise with you and keep her cat in at night and you'd put up with barking during the day, but seen as thats not happening you have to look at what you can control in this situation.

There are plenty of people who's behaviour I would love to change (esp the students who live next door) but I cant, what I can change is my reaction to them.

Bringing the dogs in at night sounds like a good solution.

fair enough my dogs are hunting dogs but there is thousands of dogs in this country that are not hunting dogs that dont like cats and if you read my last few posts you would have seen that the cat is indeed coming into my garden and to be honest as far as i can see there is a lot of people here think that cats can do or go where ever they like without of the owner of the cat taking some sort of responsibility if the cat is entering someones property and causing nuisance
    i am totally mind boggled that some people here think that cats can do what ever they like without any responsibly to the cats owner if my dogs were roaming around all over the place i am responsible for them and it would not be long before i would get into trouble over it i understand cats roam and i have no vendetta against cats but i do have a problem if there is a cat entering my property and teasing my dogs in my yard and if my dog reacts to the cat by barking at it i am the one that will get into trouble over it and i choose not to bring my dogs into my house at night do this make me a bad pet owner i dont think so and its my choice as a pet owner for my dogs to sleep outside in there own house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Bring your dogs in at night.

Advertisement