Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours cat driving my dogs totally mental

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Discodog wrote: »
    Right or wrong the fact is that the law does not recognise the need to control a cat....
    The cat will not annoy dozens of neighbours...
    Two point to note here, firstly, simply because there is or isn't a law is not an acceptable reason/excuse. There are many things that "law" doesn't cover. Being a decent person involves having consideration for fellow citizens regardless of whether or not you're legally bound.
    Secondly, assuming that a cat will not annoy dozens of neighbours is a complete fallacy. I would suggest that it's far more accurate to assume that the vast majority of your neighbours do NOT want a cat straying into their gardens, ****ting in their flower beds, climbing in their open windows, chasing & killing song birds from their garden, scratching paint work on their bonnets etc..
    The simple fact of the matter is, most people won't complain directly, but if offered the choice of having the cat enter their property, most would choose not to allow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Whispered wrote: »
    :( There is no such thing OP.

Who mentioned breeds?
    That would be the restricted dogs list he is talking about.

Ace my oul lad had similar problem with cats coming around his avery trying to get at the birds, tried everything but they kept coming back, even letting the dogs out stopped working when the cats realised they could not get onto the wall. the only thing that worked was a super soaker!! it sits in his bedroom by the window now and he doesnt get to use it much now because they dont like getting hit with the water so i say off to smyths with ya! good crack too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Zulu wrote: »
    I would suggest that it's far more accurate to assume that the vast majority of your neighbours do NOT want a cat straying into their gardens, ****ting in their flower beds, climbing in their open windows, chasing & killing song birds from their garden, scratching paint work on their bonnets etc..

I have to laugh about the cat scratching the paint on a car. Its impossible for a cat to scratch through the clear coat and paint on car unless you picked the cat up and flung accross your bonnet.

Cats will stray end of story there is nothing anybody can do about it apart from the few tips mentioned already so apart from turning cats into this bad animal which goes around killing "song birds" you might as well give up.

Also forgot to mention cats hate mothballs, they can be used to put on top of your wall if there are any crevices that they can be pushed into.

PCros wrote: »
    I have to laugh about the cat scratching the paint on a car. Its impossible for a cat to scratch through the clear coat and paint on car unless you picked the cat up and flung accross your bonnet.
    Impossible you say?
    Cats will stray end of story
    That's not accurate. Cats whos owners refuse to confine them, will stray. Cat's won't stray if properly cared for.

Unfortunately, some people couldn't care less where their animals stray to or the impact those animals have on their neighbours. Sadly, civic responsibility was one of the first of the celtic tigers causalities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

That would be the restricted dogs list he is talking about.
    But what has that got to do with anything? I don't understand?

EDIT: Just re-read. I think the OP misunderstood a reference to hunting dogs as being restriced in certain housing estates. Not on the RB list. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Impossible you say?

Yes, unless the car is in bad condition. If you know cats there would be no reason for them to scratch a car, it would be like us scratching a blackboard.
    That's not accurate. Cats whos owners refuse to confine them, will stray. Cat's won't stray if properly cared for.

I confine my 2 cats but I'm sure if I were to let them out they would roam, its in a cats natural instinct to roam and explore.
    Sadly, civic responsibility was one of the first of the celtic tigers causalities.

100% true but the issue here is far from the top of the list of social problems caused by celtic tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

it is shocking how many cat owners don't seem to give a damn about their animals - well that is how it comes across.

if you had a dog (unless you were a complete ****) you wouldn't just open the door and let it wander around your street or wherever unsupervised. it could be robbed, kicked, run over etc. you would look after it. make sure the garden was secure, take it on a lead etc.

but with cats people don't have a second thought for the animal, they open the door and away it goes. now i am not saying for one minute that you HAVE to make your cats indoor cats only. you can let them out, but a few simple checks and precautions like making your garden catproof so they can only play there, only letting them out when you are there to supervise etc.

my cats are indoor cats because my garden is too tiny to be of any use to them anyway, is not easily catproofable, and also we live on a main road with BIG trucks going up and down and i don't want them squished!

i wish that people who got cats gave as much of a sh1t about them as people who got dogs. if you cannot care for a pet - no matter what it is - then you shouldn't have one. period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Zulu wrote: »
    I would suggest that it's far more accurate to assume that the vast majority of your neighbours do NOT want a cat straying into their gardens.

I dont think you are in position to say that. You assume just because you dont like cats that all your neighbours dont.

My cat has always been able to roam (as I have said several times here he was a stray and will not be confined) And not once has anyone complained, but they did complain when my dog barked. So they had no issues with talking to me about my dog,could it be that they actually have no problem with my cat??? I believe so. I also have no intention of going out of my way and distressing my cat and myself "in case" my neighbours dont like him roaming.

Actually every where i have lived theres been some random cats,and more often than not Ive seen the people from my buildings outside playing with them and feeding them. Some people really enjoy a daily visit from a cat. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

hdowney wrote: »
    it is shocking how many cat owners don't seem to give a damn about their animals - well that is how it comes across.

Don't think thats fair - its just accepted traditionally that cats like to wander (not saying that's right!) and it IS v. hard to cat-proof your garden to keep a cat in (I know, I've tried!).

In the many places I've lived, there is always a poor dog in the neighbourhood that is shut into a back yard on his own all day, every day, rarely walked or given attention. That too is frequently accepted as traditionally acceptable way to keep a dog - and they are usually the ones that bark incessently.

To the OP - the supersoaker idea is the best plan suggested here. It won't hurt the cat but will seriously damage their dignity - and will solve your problem for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Cat owners (and indeed all pet owners) should have consideration for their neighbours as to where their animals are allowed to wander (and where they do their business).

If pets owners don't care what their pet gets up to or where they wander then why should neighbours care what they do to that pet when it's on their property?

Next time I see the neighbours cat pooing on my lawn it's in very serious trouble, the neighbours were told, they've done nothing about it so I will have to do something about it myself ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

sambuka41 wrote: »
    I dont think you are in position to say that. You assume just because you dont like cats that all your neighbours dont.

My cat has always been able to roam (as I have said several times here he was a stray and will not be confined) And not once has anyone complained, but they did complain when my dog barked. So they had no issues with talking to me about my dog,could it be that they actually have no problem with my cat??? I believe so. I also have no intention of going out of my way and distressing my cat and myself "in case" my neighbours dont like him roaming.
    You should consider all your neighbours, even if the ones that dislike cats are in the minority. I don't like roaming cats, as I have said many times on here, for a variety of reasons that have been covered plenty of times by others on this thread.

So if all my neighbours cats wandered freely in my garden, am I expected to just live with it as the only non-lover of cats?

As others have said, it may not be a legal requirement to control your cat but its a courtesy and a responsibility you owe to your neighbours. If you saw your cat pooping on a green, in a flower bed or your neighbours garden, would you go in and pick it up? I highly doubt it. "sure its only natural for cats" :rolleyes:

adser53 wrote: »
    You should consider all your neighbours, even if the ones that dislike cats are in the minority. I don't like roaming cats, as I have said many times on here, for a variety of reasons that have been covered plenty of times by others on this thread.

So if all my neighbours cats wandered freely in my garden, am I expected to just live with it as the only non-lover of cats?

As others have said, it may not be a legal requirement to control your cat but its a courtesy and a responsibility you owe to your neighbours. If you saw your cat pooping on a green, in a flower bed or your neighbours garden, would you go in and pick it up? I highly doubt it. "sure its only natural for cats" :rolleyes:

I would have no problem with listening to someone if they came to me with a genuine complaint. I'd look at the situation and see what I could do that was best for all involved. The post I was replying to said that some people may not come out right and say that they had a problem with the cat, in that case I will do nothing because if they cant speak with me then Im not going to attempt to read their mind.

I was just trying to say that some people like cats calling by, they are not always considered a nuisance. My neighbours love my cat,he drops into their house, eats their food and they love it. So not all negative.

In relation to the OP i dont think your cat makes my dog bark is a good enough reason to keep my cat in. I have both a cat and a dog, if my dog is barking I believe thats my responsibility. I stop her when she barks at the birds, or the hedgehog living under our neighbours shed, or the fox that wanders by, or the students next door. She is a generally quiet dog but theres a multitude of things that will cause her to bark. So ive trained her not to,or at least to stop when i tell her to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Bear in mind that if someone complains about barking the Dog or Community warden may pay you a visit. If you are out & have left your dog outside you won't have a leg to stand on.

It never fails to amaze me how many dog owners are deaf to their own dog's barking. I know of a dog that literally barks all day whilst it's owner are at home. It drives the neighbours nuts.

I hate cat poo as much as the next man but given the choice between cat poo in my borders & a dog barking all day then give me the cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm a dog and cat owner. I think the moral rights and wrongs of allowing cats out could fill a thread all on its own :D Some owners do just throw the cat out and leave it to do what it wants, just like some owners just leave their dog out to bark away for hours.

Unfortunately, in this case op, you would not have a leg to stand on. I know this is unfair, but in the eyes of the law your dogs are causing the nuisance.

Yes I know it's because of the cat, but the onus is on you to stop your dogs barking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

vicwatson wrote: »
    Next time I see the neighbours cat pooing on my lawn it's in very serious trouble, the neighbours were told, they've done nothing about it so I will have to do something about it myself ;)

But remember to blame the owner & not punish an innocent cat for ......being a cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I had this problem(well kinda kept trying to get birds at the feeder) and I just kept blasting the cat with the hose. Then the dog copped I didnt want the cat in the garden(previously it would ignore it) and one day it got the cat, never came in the garden again.

But remember to blame the owner & not punish an innocent cat for ......being a cat.

Oh no, the owner has already been spoken to and shrugged their shoulders so now it's the cat that's in for it :D;)

Had the owner acted neighbourly and took responsibility then there wouldn't be an issue but they haven't so......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

vicwatson wrote: »
    Oh no, the owner has already been spoken to and shrugged their shoulders so now it's the cat that's in for it :D;)

Had the owner acted neighbourly and took responsibility then there wouldn't be an issue but they haven't so......;)

The owner is under no obligation. Also, if you hurt the cat you could be charged with cruelty. Even worse, if you antagonize the wrong cat owner you could end up with more trouble than you want.

PCros wrote: »
    Yes, unless the car is in bad condition. If you know cats there would be no reason for them to scratch a car...
    ...and yet my dad's neighbours cat regularly sits atop both my dad's and my own bonnet.
    For an authority on cats, surely you'll accept, that cats like to lay on warm car bonnets?
    Now, while only minor scratches, the cat is the only animal the rests on both our cars & both our cars have minor scratches on the bonnets.

Now I'm no "Big City Cat Expert" but the physical evidence would suggest that it is in fact possible for cats to scratch a car.
    I confine my 2 cats but I'm sure if I were to let them out they would roam, its in a cats natural instinct to roam and explore.
    You've missed my point. I'm not say cat's won't roam, I'm saying if the owner BOTHERS to prevent them from roaming, they wont - in that they won't be able.
    It's far safer to assume that people don't want cats roaming through their property, that to assume they do. Assuming they do, and ignorantly letting your cat roam is inconsiderate.
    And not once has anyone complained
    MsFifers wrote: »
    Don't think thats fair - its just accepted traditionally that cats like to wander (not saying that's right!)
    ...and this is why most people don't bother complaining - they realise that most cat owners won't bother a damn, using the general excuses we see here.
    I would have no problem with listening to someone if they came to me with a genuine complaint.
    ...but what would you accept as a "genuine complaint"? I don't like your cat in my garden; please stop it coming in - is that a genuine complaint?
    The post I was replying to said that some people may not come out right and say that they had a problem with the cat, in that case I will do nothing because if they cant speak with me then Im not going to attempt to read their mind.
    Well, if I've a party, can I assume that if no one complains, it's ok to blast music at 4am every weekday? Or am I taking advantage of some very considerate neighbours? It's not too hard to believe that some people are too timid to complain. It's you call if you wish to be a considerate neighbour or not.
    I was just trying to say that some people like cats calling by,
    Thats a fair point, but others HATE cats calling by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 CBBB

next time the cat starts annoying your dogs video the cat on your phone, then knock on your neighbours door and show her that, indeed, it IS their cat causing the problems.

• Advertisement

The owner is under no obligation. Also, if you hurt the cat you could be charged with cruelty. Even worse, if you antagonize the wrong cat owner you could end up with more trouble than you want.

They have a civic duty towards other citizens - it's common sense, it is also common sense in realising there are two cats in my neighbourhood - fact - and they are both owned by the same neighbour. Maybe the cat owner could end up with more trouble than they want :D:D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

cats are a free animals to roam as they like

brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I was just trying to say that some people like cats calling by, they are not always considered a nuisance. My neighbours love my cat,he drops into their house, eats their food and they love it. So not all negative.

Lots of people feel like that about dogs too. My nana has a neighbour who's dog wanders into her garden and she loves it. She gives him treats, pets him and he plays with her dog. I love dogs and have no problem whatsoever with random friendly ones coming into my garden for a sniff about. I live right on a river walk so it happens regularly if my gate is ajar. That doesn't mean it's ok to just let dogs wander.

Im not going to attempt to read their mind.
    That comment makes me really, really angry. It's blatantly obvious that lots and lots of people don't want other people's pets on their private property for a variety of reasons. You don't need super powers, just some cop on and consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The post I was replying to said that some people may not come out right and say that they had a problem with the cat, in that case I will do nothing because if they cant speak with me then Im not going to attempt to read their mind.
    That's a fairly irresponsible attitude tbh.
    If your kids were running in and out of your neighbours gardens every day, would you do nothing until the neighbour said something?

seamus wrote: »
    That's a fairly irresponsible attitude tbh.
    If your kids were running in and out of your neighbours gardens every day, would you do nothing until the neighbour said something?

I dont know how to quote a few people so i'll just quote Seamus if you dont mind, most folk were saying the same. ;)

When it comes to neighbours or anyone else in the social world that i deal with, I stand by what I said. People are different, and I wouldnt assume that I know what others want. There has to be some level of personal responsibility here too folks, if I am not happy about something then its up to me to do something about it. Same applies to my neighbours.

People do all sorts that annoys their neighbours, you cant please everyone all the time. I am very open to people talking to me about my pets, they have done so already and i didn't act like "i dont give a damn" I took on board what they were saying,explained why my dog was barking and what i was doing to remedy that. So I really dont think i can be considered irresponsible. I actually take offence to it. :mad:

Prior to posting here I have never come across anyone who thought it was irresponsible to let their cats out. It is generally accepted (rightly or wrongly). I understand where people are coming from with it but I cant say that I fully agree.

I can see all the benefits to keeping them in, and wouldn't disagree with that advice where appropriate. To be honest, if i got my guy from a kitten I would keep him in, not because of my neighbours but because of the dangers and cat haters.

In relation to the OP the first few pages are full of advice on how they can do something about the situation but he/she doesnt want to. In life in general I will work with someone if they meet me half way. bit of a compromise is an easy solution to the OP problems rather than arguing the ethics of cats. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pdmc

smokin ace wrote: »
    hi everyone i am having a problem with my neighbours cat driving my two dogs totally mental the two dogs are in a dogs pen and the cat walks up and down along the wall and in my garden across from the dog pen as if she owned the place and its driving the dogs nuts it has gone to the stage with the cat that he/she knows the dogs cant get them and they have started to walk around my yard over near the dog pen teasing the dogs i have sprayed the cat loads of times with the hose every time i see it during the day but now it appears only at night and i dont know what to do and the owner of the cat is starting to complain about the dogs barking but its her cat is driving the dogs wrong but genuinely there is never a peep out of the dogs until the cat turns up but when i say this to the neighbour thats owns the cat she just says my cat would not do that and that cats are a free animals to roam as they like and i am to shut my dogs up or she will report me to the council

so my question is is there something i can do or something i can pour on the wall for to stop the cat from coming along the wall to piss off my dogs

Just noticed your post but haven't time to read the entire thread - so maybe someone else has suggested this. My dad has always said Axle Grease, as used by mechanics, is the only way to stop them. I've no idea where you'd get it. Cat walks in it once and they won't walk in it again as they have to have to lick it off to clean their paws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

ppink wrote: »
    dont agree with the other posts here at all.

another persons pet is coming into your property, to me that is not acceptable and I would tell the neighbour I had enough of his cat coming into my place and to sort it out himself.
    I would spray water and bang saucepans(off each other , not the cat) or whatever to get him out of there.
    there is fencing you can put up I think to keep him off the wall also. i do happen to be of the opinion that it is the offending pet owner who should be paying for that and putting it up in his own garden.

I would also tell neighbour that I am reporting them to the council for their pet trespassing and causing distress!

ppink id give anything to see a pic or video of you out the garden banging saucepans!! Ive never laughed so hard haha!:D

Advertisement