Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

****ing idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

clareguy wrote: »
    Anyone up for some Sushi?

Not remotely amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

..you dont need Sushi you need a BAN !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ranopano

krudler wrote: »
    its a valid point though, if god is omnipotent then he caused the quake as well, if he didnt hes not omnipotent, just incompetent.

edit: anyway, like was said, not the time or the place

It's not really valid. Some people believe God created the world and just let's it go about its business. Not that he controls every single action that happens. Technically he caused it but it still makes sense to ask him for help. I don't believe in God by the way, so we'll drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

God forgive you what a horrible thing to say

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

FlashD wrote: »
    Looking at the footage from Japan is shocking but i'm also shocked at what seems like really poor infrastructural planning.

I mean the airports flooded, two nuclear powerplants in trouble and the oil refinary is going up in smoke, Japan is a hotspot for earthquakes, did they not forsee these kind of disasters when building infrastructure rather than putting their own people in even more danger.

you can't really design anything for this level of impact though. All of those all probably easily able to cope with lesser quakes but this one is just too massive to spec builds to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Has it hit Tokyo? My brother just flew into there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Ok, Just so it's clear.

All and any "jokes" will result in a ban.

Please report posts, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Bringing "God" into this is ridiculous. This is one of the worst natural disasters in history. Praying to "God" won't do much bloody good now. Just hope the tsunami ripping through the Pacific doesn't do too much harm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Tsunami warning for Hawaii , western US and SA
    Has just hit Wake Island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When did they think it would hit Hawaii? It'll be very late/early there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Has it hit Tokyo? My brother just flew into there yesterday.

The quake itself had an effect in Tokyo, although as far as I can tell it's relatively OK with only minor damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I remember a couple of books and documentaries which suggested that when a major earthquake hit Tokyo it was going to do some serious damage to the world economy.

Although this was back in the days when Japan were considered an unstoppable economic superpower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

They reckon it's slowing a bit. Not as bad as they though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Sky News up to their usual tricks. Repeating the same 4 clips over and over again instead of delivering actual news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

The quake itself had an effect in Tokyo, although as far as I can tell it's relatively OK with only minor damage.

Thanks for that. Hopefully he will give the auld one a buzz soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

mike65 wrote: »
    Just after 1pm our time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Bringing "God" into this is ridiculous. This is one of the worst natural disasters in history. Praying to "God" won't do much bloody good now. Just hope the tsunami ripping through the Pacific doesn't do too much harm.

Hawaii educate their kids in Tsunami disaster procedures from a very young age .
    They have a 5hr+ min timeline before it hits so (hopefully) should have a full action plan at work .
    At present they are in a "elevation evacuation " which basically means they must be above 4th floor level .

Fingers crossed .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I think someone mentioned that it would hit just after 1pm our time?

They have evacuated the coast and moved everyone to higher ground afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

Is Eastern Australia on Tsunami Alert or just a warning? Have friends in Brisbane.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Originally Posted by WallyGUFC View Post

God is defined in so many ways by people, If people want to pray to God why does it bother you so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Japanese Infrastructure varies. Outside of the major cities quite alot of houses still retain their wooden structures, or most recently Japanese houses can be assembled quickly through more less stable and almost jigsaw like assembly. The reason for such was too create high volume of houses quickly and efficiently for much less cost (since land/house prices in Japan are high enough as it is). Once you buy this type of houses the value drops significantly per year until after 20 years you can't even get money from selling it. Vice Versa, Alot more of the cities and surrounding areas would have more stable and 'earthquake' proof housing, which obviously reduces the damage done.

It really really is tragic and again my heart goes out to those in Japan experience such a disaster :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

WallyGUFC wrote: »

'God' is just part of english phraseology. Like in Irish were you mention God, Dia, every sentence it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Does anyone have a good source for up to date info on the nuclear power plant problems?

It looks like it's touch and go there at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    I remember a couple of books and documentaries which suggested that when a major earthquake hit Tokyo it was going to do some serious damage to the world economy.

Although this was back in the days when Japan were considered an unstoppable economic superpower.

The damage has largely been rural, and I'm sure Japanese Government has a very in-depth plan to minimize all types of damage. Of course the loss of life and cost is going to be very significant, but there'll be all sorts of plans in place to get the country back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

CNN are doing a great job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

That_Guy wrote: »
    Sky News up to their usual tricks. Repeating the same 4 clips over and over again instead of delivering actual news.

turn over to bbc much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

you can't really design anything for this level of impact though. All of those all probably easily able to cope with lesser quakes but this one is just too massive to spec builds to.

Possibly not but even just looking at location, it's common knowledge that earthquakes cause tsunamis, I mean what is with the location of that flooded airport. Surely a bit of foresight with a more inland location could have avoided that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

About 1pm Irish time,they have been well warned so should be no casualties(we hope)
    The experts predict the wave won't be as high as what hit Japan but the sheer volume of water is what will cause the problems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement