Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Hope this works. Hopefully radiation won't be too high for the guys operating it on the ground :

Police eye using water cannon to cool Fukushima No. 4 reactor

TOKYO, March 16, Kyodo

The National Police Agency is considering using a special water cannon truck held by the Metropolitan Police Department to cool a pool storing spent fuel rods at the troubled No. 4 reactor at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, police sources said Wednesday.

The operation could start as early as Wednesday night, they said.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You can't believe anybody right now tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Agreed. This is getting more confused by the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Saadyst wrote: »
    The French are surrendering? :pac:

Is this what the pro-nuclear lobbyists are reduced to now ?

France gets over 75% of its electricity from nuclear power and has great experience in the safe use of nuclear plants.

So I would listen to the French ahead of some aristocratic brit any day of the week.

(PS. They were right about Iraq too) ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This is exactly why countries like France, Italy and Finland are advising their citizens to get the hell out of Tokyo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

This is exactly why countries like France, Italy and Finland are advising their citizens to get the hell out of Tokyo.

Are you saying they might be listening to a certain Iron Maiden song on the way? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Japan gov't spokesman now says no 'major' damage to Reactor 3 at Fukushima-1 nuke plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Thrill wrote: »
    If countries were newspapers, France would be The Sun.

Ireland would be The Beano

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Can I ask what reason you have to believe TEPCO or anyone else is lying? -- other than the speculation by people off site.. actual reports of errors found or anything? I'm not having a go, just genuinely curious. People are constantly going on about the lies and how the government are fooling everyone, but noone has given sources or anything like evidence.

I can't speculate on Italy and Finland, but from speaking to French people they believe it is more politically motivated than based on anything else... I will be paying attention to the american embassy as they have people on the ground much closer to the situation.

How is it that radiation levels are so low yet there is so much escaping? Surely it has to go somewhere?

Its blowing out to sea... as long as there is a westerly component to the wind.

"Helicopters deployed to dump water on the facility on Wednesday have been pulled out amid concerns over radiation."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12755739

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Also, apart from the French, Italians and Germans....

Yesterday the Irish govt asked its citizens to consider if they really need to stay in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

A link would have been sufficient.

Don’t paste it in full and people complain, paste it in full and people complain. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t :D Anyway, I’m off to listen to Abba for a while before trying to calm down more frantic expats intent on fleeing these fair shores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Can I ask what reason you have to believe TEPCO or anyone else is lying? -- other than the speculation by people off site.. actual reports of errors found or anything? I'm not having a go, just genuinely curious. People are constantly going on about the lies and how the government are fooling everyone, but noone has given sources or anything like evidence.

I can't speculate on Italy and Finland, but from speaking to French people they believe it is more politically motivated than based on anything else... I will be paying attention to the american embassy as they have people on the ground much closer to the situation.

Well you can really count on the unvarnished truth from the Americans, that's for sure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Tristram wrote: »
    Don’t paste it in full and people complain, paste it in full and people complain. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t :D Anyway, I’m off to listen to Abba for a while before trying to calm down more frantic expats intent on fleeing these fair shores.

Never mind him, most of us appreciated the full transcript in your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

"Helicopters deployed to dump water on the facility on Wednesday have been pulled out amid concerns over radiation."

Can't they use NBC suits? a fleet of helicopters would mean any one pilot would only be in potential danger for a short time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

How is it that radiation levels are so low yet there is so much escaping? Surely it has to go somewhere?

a) alot of it is going to see
    b) the radiation that has been confirmed to have escaped so far has NOT been in the form of vapourised nuclear fuel, it has been radioactive steam from the cooling systems. This form of radiation decays quickly and does not travel that far before having dissipated.

c) There is an awful lot of chicken-little-ism going on, including in this thread. Will you all take some vallium please ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

[QUOTE I will be paying attention to the american embassy .[/QUOTE]

:D Funniest comment of the day award!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Can I ask what reason you have to believe TEPCO or anyone else is lying?

For possibly a few reasons:
    - Concealment of vital information from the Japanese authority. They've already concealed information regarding the plant's status at the beginning, leading many of us to believe there was no problem at all.
    - Prevention of further damage to nuclear development and reputation.

In the past 5 days there's been 'Everything is ok' to 'Level alert 4' to 'Noez France sayz 6' to 'It's the apocalypse alright'. In fact on some media sources the so called 'experts' say things will be grand once they find the right solution. Which one are you going to believe?

I'm not believing what TEPCO say, I'm not believing what the Japanese government says, and I don't believe what the media says. It's just too varied. All I'm assuming now is that they're trying to keep the temperatures under control, whether its working or not I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Originally Posted by Zayden Hallowed Bayonet

No, it's because so far the radiation released has a very, very short half-life. In seconds or minutes, it's gone. Unless you're in the immediate vicinity, in which case it's a different matter.

But sure 24pt font headlines screaming "RADIATION LEAK AT NUCLEAR POWER PLANT" and then not having the article explain the leak - that's much better to get people reading it.

Saadyst wrote: »
    No, it's because so far the radiation released has a very, very short half-life. In seconds or minutes, it's gone. Unless you're in the immediate vicinity, in which case it's a different matter.

lol

So the 7th fleet were mistaken when they detected radioactivity 160km downwind.

I wish the pro-nuclear choirboys would get real !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

For possibly a few reasons:
    - Concealment of vital information from the Japanese authority. They've already concealed information regarding the plant's status at the beginning, leading many of us to believe there was no problem at all.
    - Prevention of further damage to nuclear development and reputation.

First point I believe was just a delay and not a concerted effort to decieve.
    Second point I doubt people are thinking this during such a crisis, but obviously that's just speculation.
    In the past 5 days there's been 'Everything is ok' to 'Level alert 4' to 'Noez France sayz 6' to 'It's the apocalypse alright'. In fact on some media sources the so called 'experts' say things will be grand once they find the right solution. Which one are you going to believe?

I haven't been paying attention to the levels tbh, just trying to find out what is actually occuring atm. Classifying it seems a bit redundant atm, it's not as if it's going to follow a script.
    I'm not believing what TEPCO say, I'm not believing what the Japanese government says, and I don't believe what the media says. It's just too varied. All I'm assuming now is that they're trying to keep the temperatures under control, whether its working or not I don't know.

That's fair enough, I came to the assumption from listening to TEPCO. They are describing everything in the here and now and not, just facts and I think that's the only conclusion they are coming to i.e. they are trying to cool it and not having great success, but there does not seem to be a serious amount of radiation leaking for any length of time.
    It's just wait and see for everyone.

lol

Watch this and listen to the last sentence:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbVwIVg9W8E

AS
    A
    PRE-CAUTION

And they have since moved back

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

lol

Calling me a "pro-nuclear choirboy" doesn't mean anything to me, since I have no real interest one way or another what is used. I'm more concerned with dealing with accurate information, not scare-mongering as you have committed yourself to. Whether that is through ignorance of the facts or through agenda, I don't really care.

You're wrong, simple as that.

The USS Ronald Reagan detected radiation:

7th Fleet commander Jeff Davis elaborated: "The maximum potential radiation dose received by any ship's force personnel aboard the ship when it passed through the area was less than the radiation exposure received from about one month of exposure to natural background radiation from sources such as rocks, soil, and the sun."

So basically, they would get more "radiation poisoning" by going on holiday to Lanzarote than they did here.

Time to cancel Christmas :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Ireland would be The Beano

Fuck sake, do ye not have any pride in your own country at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Are you from Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

This thing seems to be getting worse by the day.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Severe damage to No. 3 reactor's containment vessel unlikely: Edano

TOKYO, March 17, Kyodo

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano suggested Wednesday it is unlikely that the containment vessel of the No. 3 reactor at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant has been damaged severely.

''The possibility of the No. 3 reactor having suffered severe damage to its containment vessel is low,'' the government's nuclear disaster headquarters reported.

The top government spokesman pointed out earlier in the day that the containment vessel may have been damaged, noting that steam was spewing out of part of the critical structure.

Mister men wrote: »
    This thing seems to be getting worse by the day.:(

No it doesn't. Its pretty much been at the same level for days now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Confab wrote: »
    Are you saying they might be listening to a certain Iron Maiden song on the way? :D
    or "Be quick or be dead"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Pride is a strange old bird. I never had pride in anything, it was more pride in people, family, loved ones. But we digress...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement