Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

No it doesn't. Its pretty much been at the same level for days now.

Are we living on the same planet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

i see its now snowing in Japan. and if Ireland is anything to go by, its probably the worst of what's happening there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Oranage2 wrote: »
    i see its now snowing in Japan. and if Ireland is anything to go by, its probably the worst of what's happening there.

The weather is making a difficult situation worse at the moment. The range is approx. -4 to +4 in Miyagi with snow. The forecast doesnt predict it to pick up until Saturday and even then the night time temperatures are going to be low :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

For possibly a few reasons:
    - Concealment of vital information from the Japanese authority. They've already concealed information regarding the plant's status at the beginning, leading many of us to believe there was no problem at all.
    - Prevention of further damage to nuclear development and reputation.

In the past 5 days there's been 'Everything is ok' to 'Level alert 4' to 'Noez France sayz 6' to 'It's the apocalypse alright'. In fact on some media sources the so called 'experts' say things will be grand once they find the right solution. Which one are you going to believe?

I'm not believing what TEPCO say, I'm not believing what the Japanese government says, and I don't believe what the media says. It's just too varied. All I'm assuming now is that they're trying to keep the temperatures under control, whether its working or not I don't know.

Also...didn't the President of TEPCO tell the plant manager that if he pulled out all staff from the reactor then "this company (TEPCO) is finished" ?

BP gave the same bull**** lies and underestimates during the Deepwater disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Tokyo, March 16 (Jiji Press)--Radiation levels about 6,600 times normal were detected on Tuesday at a place 20 kilometers away from a nuclear power plant at the center of Japan's nuclear crisis, the science ministry said Wednesday.

http://jen.jiji.com/jc/eng?g=eco&k=2011031600567

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Also...didn't the President of TEPCO tell the plant manager that if he pulled out all staff from the reactor then "this company (TEPCO) is finished" ?

BP gave the same bull**** lies and underestimates during the Deepwater disaster.

I thought it was the Japanese PM though I'm open to correction.

NEWS ADVISORY: Water injection into ponds at No. 3, No. 4 reactors priority: agency (22:32)
    NEWS ADVISORY: Spent fuel pool at No. 3 reactor heated, emitting steam: nuke agency (22:27)

So the priority now is focused on these spent fuel pools and not a reactor meltdown.

amacachi wrote: »

Yes, it was the Japanese PM, overheard by reporters allegedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

It was PM Naoto Kan. Japan has no president.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Tokyo, March 16 (Jiji Press)--Radiation levels about 6,600 times normal were detected on Tuesday at a place 20 kilometers away from a nuclear power plant at the center of Japan's nuclear crisis, the science ministry said Wednesday.

Surely they must be mistaken !

The pro nuclear choirboys on this thread say...
    Saadyst wrote: »
    No, it's because so far the radiation released has a very, very short half-life. In seconds or minutes, it's gone. Unless you're in the immediate vicinity, in which case it's a different matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 yoganmahew

So the priority now is focused on these spent fuel pools and not a reactor meltdown.
    Well, it sounds like that is where the immediate fire-fighting is. Given that they are essentially uncontained, it would seem to be sensible.

Does this give an indication that the puming of seawater/boric acid into the reaction chambers has essentially worked? Or have the reactors dropped off radar for the moment? (The butterfly has landed on another flower...).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

It was the Japanese Prime Minister that ordered them to stay, but TEPCO later withdrew 750 staff from the plant.

He did say "so far". This announcement has only just been made.

The anti-nuclear choirboys must be delighted with the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Originally Posted by maquiladora

It's good that you read my post but chose not to reply. What's the matter, can you not retort with anything that's factual?

Did you even click that link you quoted? Here's the next bit:
    Originally Posted by the site that Rob A. Bank probably failed to read

Radiation levels reached 195 to 330 microsieverts per hour in the Fukushima Prefecture town of Namie in radiation monitoring activities for about 10 minutes from 8:40 p.m. Tuesday (11:40 a.m. GMT), the ministry said.

Here's something interesting for you:

One chest CT scan generates 6900 micro sievert per scan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Are we living on the same planet ?

Definitely not. Nuclear wise its status quo. Snow is a separate issue though and a worrying development.
    maquiladora

Saadyst
    No, it's because so far the radiation released has a very, very short half-life. In seconds or minutes, it's gone. Unless you're in the immediate vicinity, in which case it's a different matter.

This things are not mutually exclusive. You really don't understand the issues. You are kind of embarassing yourself with these scaremongering posts and potentially alarming people reading who may have relatives out there. I'm asking you nicely to please stop this.

By the way I'm not a pro-nuclear fanboy, I voted for the Green party :D

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Saadyst wrote: »

One chest CT scan generates 6900 micro sievert per scan.

Are you sure thats not per hour rather than per scan?

Vodkat wrote: »
    Are you sure thats not per hour rather than per scan?

Per scan.

Actually according to the Health Physics Society its more than that:
    http://www.hps.org/hpspublications/articles/dosesfrommedicalradiation.html

The readings in brackets are milli Sv.
    CT head - 2.0mSv = 2000microSv
    CT chest - 8.0mSv = 8000microSv
    CT abdomean - 10mSV = 10000microSv
    CT pelvis - 10mSV = 10000microSv

It would be quite common for trauma, icu or cancer patients to have multiple CT scans during a hospital admission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

Oranage2 wrote: »

hides head behind computer screen and sniggers maniacally :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Topper Harley01

The more Rob. A. Bank, posts, the more I am reminded of this scene-

Seriously, calm down and stop hyperventilating. You are practically having an orgasm at the thought of a meltdown, purely so you can say 'I told you so'. You seem to be genuinely enjoying the unfortunate events.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I didn't realise there were so many nuclear physicists on boards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

You're the first person to make that attempt at a sly dig on this thread.

I dont think anyone has claimed to be one in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭jimcoolding

Can anyone give me a quick simple rundown on what's happening please.

Cheers.

You're the first person to make that attempt at a sly dig on this thread.

No but he is the first one who has worked on the manhattan project.
    Thrill wrote: »

Actually one user has said they work in the nuclear industry. forget his name - begins with m

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Thrill wrote: »

My brother is doing Theoretical Physics, I linked him to some of the posts here, he laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Says the guy who is named after the "father of the atom bomb" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Robert_Oppenheimer :D

What is unnerving me most about this is that nuclear experts (I mean people with postgraduate degrees!) seem to be split between whether the seriousness of the situation.

Actually one user has said they work in the nuclear industry. forget his name - begins with m

http://geeksofdoom.com/GoD/img/2009/03/2009-03-12-dr_manhattan.jpg

Says the guy who is named after the "father of the atom bomb" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Robert_Oppenheimer :D

What is unnerving me most about this is that nuclear experts (I mean people with postgraduate degrees!) seem to be split between whether the seriousness of the situation.

You have to ask yourself which ones are overexcited to be on TV/listened to for a change and filter those ones out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think this could be down to who is paying their wages and them knowing which side their bread is buttered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement