Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Overheal wrote: »

The second picture there is not from the nuclear plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,093 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

However, we now know there is a difference of opinion between the US and the Japanese. The danger zone around the plant for American citizens is 80km, for Japanese its 20-30km.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

[4:25 p.m. ET Wednesday, 5:25 a.m. Thursday in Tokyo] A spent fuel pool at Japan’s stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant is dry, resulting in “extremely high” radiation levels, the head of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission said Wednesday.
    “What we believe at this time is that there has been a hydrogen explosion in this unit due to an uncovering of the fuel in the fuel pool,” Gregory Jaczko told a House energy and commerce subcommittee hearing. “We believe that secondary containment has been destroyed and there is no water in the spent fuel pool, and we believe that radiation levels are extremely high, which could possibly impact the ability to take corrective measures.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

^ No worky from Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

we now know there is a difference of opinion between the US and the Japanese. The danger zone around the plant for American citizens is 80km, for Japanese its 20-30km.

Different regulatory limits. Iirc, the US legal limit of permitted radiation for a person is 50mSv per year. The Japanese level is 100mSv per year.

nuxxx wrote: »
    ^ No worky from Ireland
    Its not really that funny anyway.

You also have other countries telling their people to get out. Theyre just taking the precautions they feel are necessary - I dont think the US having a larger exclusion zone than the japanese is a result of information the public isn't privy to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

A more interesting and disturbing speculation on how the water disappeared from the pools containing the fuel rods from the reactor no.4 is that the pools were possibly partially drained to use to cool down the reactors, and they took it too far, or the draining has unexpected results.

Or maybe one of the explosions caused it, or the earthquake.

jumpguy wrote: »
    A more interesting and disturbing speculation on how the water disappeared from the pools containing the fuel rods from the reactor no.4 is that the pools were possibly partially drained to use to cool down the reactors, and they took it too far,

Honestly I doubt they would have been that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Malty_T wrote: »
    Honestly I doubt they would have been that stupid.
    The pools are filled above the fuel rods i.e. in excess. It'd be a tempting option. However, to drain them below what they needed would be madness...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I was almost wondering if they thought about parking the USS Reagan in front of Fukushima Daiichi and running a jumper cable...
    One nuke powering another, I doubt it.

You jest, I am sure. It would have been surely ironic to power the cooling systems with another working reactor but in fairness all thats important is getting electricity to power the primary cooling system.
    The pools are filled above the fuel rods i.e. in excess. It'd be a tempting option. However, to drain them below what they needed would be madness...
    The lack of water isnt the problem its a lack of getting that water from point A to point B.

Unless they werent in there with Fantasia Brooms and Buckets, there isn't much way they could have got that water to the reactors.

The spent fuel still emits heat, enough to provoke evaporation over this long a period. And correctly we don't know if any fissure took place that might be draining the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

My thoughts are with Japan. I saw on the news today, a mother had identified her son that was found dead amongst the rubble. It was heartbreaking. :(

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

spent fuel rods can sit in 50 feet of water for years to cool and still radiate heat. the water is used to stop radiation and you can actually stand above them and look in with no risk...IF there is about 20 feet of water.

since they are hot, and the water stops flowing (remember no power for the pumps), the water heats up and evaporates. that is one of the reasons you have those radiation warnings, its not the reactors, its the cooling pools evaporating exposing the rods> However the good news is their radiation is very short lived but still dangerous. hence why you get spikes one minute and low reading 20 minutes later. i would suspect that if they get water levels and power back to these, a considerable amount of the warning they are issuing on radiation will stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Live feed of the plants here

http://www.tepco.co.jp/nu/f1-np/camera/index-j.html

Camera is pitch black as its 5am there of course. Few hours time and you'll be able to see something.

Daylight now!! 30 minutes after you posted

unless it's a recording loop..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Daylight now!! 30 minutes after you posted

unless it's a recording loop..

It was updating every 10 minutes a while ago, seems they've changed that.

I see the plant, are you guys getting black or something?

I see the plant, are you guys getting black or something?

Nope, got a visual on the plant. Though, I'm not sure why I'm watching it...yep just closed it.

can see a pic from 6am and 32 seconds...

pretty amazing looking dawn ...happy st pats day japan...and hoping you manage to get a bit of irish luck today...fuk me you are long overdue one ...

can see a pic from 6am and 32 seconds...

pretty amazing looking dawn ...happy st pats day japan...and hoping you manage to get a bit of irish luck today...fuk me you are long overdue one ...
    No Green jokes.

/:|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

No Green jokes.

/:|

fec an i was just gonna post saying hope no one turns up in green!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

It doesn't strike me that there are any improvements in this situation. It seems like a lost cause. CNN (who suck) are stating that the situation is far more grave than the Japanese authorities are reporting.

i just read the bulletin releases. one guy said they had a fire and then when they went to check it there was no fire.

thats exhaustion setting in. god really needs to cut these guys some fukign slack.

i know they have about 700 people but that level of readiness, constant stress and keep in mind searching for family members when the leave the plant is going to start taking its toll soon and the risk of a mistake increases...

each one of them is a super hero (okay maybe that too is not a wise thing to say with radiation)...to do that when your house could be 20km inland rolled up with a boat, a car and half the neighbourhood...amazing spirit and strength of will...IMHO

i will say one thing tho...if you are ever stuck for a place to stay in a tsunami and earth quake...it looks like the best place is in a nuke plant at least in the early stages. if we can ignore the power issue for a moment, the fact that those containment buildings are still there is a testament to the engineers who built it over 35 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Live feed of the plants here

http://www.tepco.co.jp/nu/f1-np/camera/index-j.html

Camera is pitch black as its 5am there of course. Few hours time and you'll be able to see something.
    Link not working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Any news on that power line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

Well theyve lost control of at least one of the reactors.

ffs my girlfriend is in kanagawa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

It doesn't strike me that there are any improvements in this situation. It seems like a lost cause. CNN (who suck) are stating that the situation is far more grave than the Japanese authorities are reporting.
    No ****

i will say one thing tho...if you are ever stuck for a place to stay in a tsunami and earth quake...it looks like the best place is in a nuke plant at least in the early stages. if we can ignore the power issue for a moment, the fact that those containment buildings are still there is a testament to the engineers who built it over 35 years ago.

They plants actually became shelter for people in the aftermath. Onagawa is sheltering up to 200 homeless people in the administration building of the Power Plant.

The worst case scenario at the moment is a fission like explosion from the spent fuel pools. That's still an extremely unlikely scenario though. It's not a lost cause yet, but some of the workers have definitely shortened their life spans by a few years.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

German government is now advising to leave the country.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement