Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

3rd drop was on reactor 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I wonder if its fresh or salt water ?

Waterbombing the roof of no. 4 too

There was steam visible so they definately hitting something very hot in No. 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

guys

its pretty clear that the whole nuclear plant is shagged... the Japanese really screwed up and should admit we screwed up and actually need serious help here.

the people around the plant are holed up inside houses and dont know whats going on, people in tokyo today said they are not happy with the governments actions.

why are the homeless not sent to the stadiums around sendai and etc while things are sorted out and not camped into schools.

I would be worried about radiation even getting as far as tokyo, if i was there i would get the hell out also.

It is a huge nuclear plant they got there, and the japanese are making light of the whole event it seems and then when it is probably too late they will admit how bad things are.

i can only pray that things dont escalate into the unthinkable

I think the presenter said that the copters will continue to take water from the ocean. 100 to 200 trips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

I wonder if its fresh or salt water ?

Waterbombing the roof of no. 4 too

There was steam visible so they definately hitting something very hot in No. 3

SALT from the sea.

Probably the steam is whatever water actually hit something hot, the whole operation doesn't look too convincing so far, they are too high and can't hover, the downwind from the rotors is just turning it to a spray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I just saw one of the drops, did it look like they were getting much water in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

An expert commentator on CNN just said that the biggest risk in this operation is that the falling water tips over the fuel rods and sets off a nuclear reaction - that might explain why they are spraying the area and not dumping directly into the shells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

guys

its pretty clear that the whole nuclear plant is shagged... the Japanese really screwed up and should admit we screwed up and actually need serious help here.

the people around the plant are holed up inside houses and dont know whats going on, people in tokyo today said they are not happy with the governments actions.

why are the homeless not sent to the stadiums around sendai and etc while things are sorted out and not camped into schools.

I would be worried about radiation even getting as far as tokyo, if i was there i would get the hell out also.

It is a huge nuclear plant they got there, and the japanese are making light of the whole event it seems and then when it is probably too late they will admit how bad things are.

i can only pray that things dont escalate into the unthinkable
    A lot of them already have access to sat media and are dubious of their own Government,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I wonder if it's close enough to the sea that they could use tug boat based water cannons

11 water canon trucks on the way.

• Advertisement

andrew wrote: »
    I wonder if it's close enough to the sea that they could use tug boat based water cannons

Its on the coast, but its the radiation thats the problem.

Isn't using seawater risky, shouldnt they be using demineralised water?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Can we send brian cowen over to help? With the amout of lard he is carrying, he'd be well protected from radiation.
    Stinicker wrote: »
    There would be the danger he might mutate into some Godzilla like creature, or worse still give political advise further worsening the situation. He would do well in the Sumo Wrestling though I reckon. A containment zone around Clara minimising his risk to everyone would be the best bet I think

Did either of you read the Mod note?

This is a really informative thread and posts like yours are just interrupting the flow.

Continue posting but leave out the crap!

At this stage I don't think they're too fussy about type of water.

Ideally... but it's desperate measures now. Everything will get caked in salt and make further cooling more difficult.

I wonder if some of the high drops of water were to 'clean' the area to decrease the radiation for the water cannon guys who are supposed to come in soon.

Reactor no 3 priority for the trucks. Not 4.

Ideally... but it's desperate measures now. Everything will get caked in salt and make further cooling more difficult.

I wonder if some of the high drops of water were to 'clean' the area to decrease the radiation for the water cannon guys who are supposed to come in soon.

Water cannon guys, I really can't see this happening, I think they will show up as close as possible and turn and run, it's a face saving proposal, but it would be a suicide mission if it does go ahead.

uprising2 wrote: »
    At this stage I don't think they're too fussy about type of water.

Salt and minerals in the seawater could be carried up through the stream though right?

I guess they are desperate now.

Yen hits alltime high........so ****ing what......yen buying...........

They leave the live feed for this bolloxology, the yen will be worth fukkall if they only have mutants to spend it.

Worry about the money after you have an inhabital island.

• Advertisement

Salt and minerals in the seawater could be carried up through the stream though right?

I guess they are desperate now.

No... the water will evaporate leaving a skin of salt behind on the hottest parts... this will increase as time goes on making cooling more difficult.

Water spray operations have been suspended temporarily

The helicopters are gone now, in order to minimise the crews' exposure to radiation - NHK.

A lead plate is attached to the bottom of each chopper and the crew are wearing protective suits - NHK.

Thrill wrote: »
    The helicopters are gone now, in order to minimise the crews' exposure to radiation - NHK.

A lead plate is attached to the bottom of each chopper and the crew are wearing protective suits - NHK.

So did they explain how the watercannon guys are going to do it?

The chopper operations have been suspended temporarily.

I'm assuming they'll be back. Maybe the radiation levels rose too high.

I wonder do they have (or have they built) some sort of NBC watercannon truck. There's no way you'd bring in an ordinary truck.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I get the impression that the Japanese would be perfectly willing to go on a suicide mission if it was asked of them. With a history featuring Kamikaei and Seppuku it doesn't seem as though they'd have any problem with dying a death they preceive to be honourable.

11 watercannon trucks from the Tokyo riot squad on the way

TEPCO anticipate restoring power to No. 1 Fukushima this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

TEPCO anticipate restoring power to No. 1 Fukushima this afternoon

Best bit of news I've read all day. Fingers tightly crossed that they make it.:)

• Advertisement

The chopper operations have been suspended temporarily

Yea so I cant see the 11 watercannon trucks on standby being able to be used, the "protected" helicoptors only dropped 2 each?, then had enough radiation from the brief flyovers.
    hmmm wrote: »
    I wonder do they have (or have they built) some sort of NBC watercannon truck. There's no way you'd bring in an ordinary truck.

They were showing fairly ordinary looking trucks earlier on, normal firetrucks and police riot control watercannon trucks that can't possibly get close enough for long enough, the trucks will be glowing bright green.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement