Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

What worries me is where is all this run off of sea water going?, I presume straight back into the sea again. Next thing they will be telling us is that fish in the area has now been contaminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,040 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Heh heh, I knew, when the TV kept reporting 2 stable reactors but wouldnt specify which ones that it had to be 5 and 6, by far the least threatened of all of them ;)

It's good news though that they wont become a problem I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

So things are looking better then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Thrill wrote: »
    If you want people to know about the things you think are important then post about them. If you are concerned that aspects are being ignored then no-one is stopping you from telling us about them.

So instead of giving out, post the stories you feel need to be highlighted.
    maybe you're right you're totally right and i should be spending more time practising what i'm preaching, but in my defence most of my limited time here has been spent countering the FUD campaign by certain other posters as well asking for the more important issues to get more coverage than the scaremongering around the fukushima incident.

and it's true that i have been taking myself too seriously as someone else mentions, but if a humanitarian crisis on this scale isn't something to take seriously i don't know what is but maybe that's just me. i'm not saying nobody else is taking it seriously, just that it's something i feel very strongly about that isn't getting the attention it deserves. :(

and fair enough, nobody here is going to change the world, but there's a lot of people reading the thread and if nothing else, we owe it to them to make sure they get accurate information on what's going on and that's something that we can do. looking at some of the posts in this thread in the last few days, they wouldn't look out of place in the conspiracy theories forum.

the official dead/missing toll has already passed 21,000 and there are predictions of it passing 50,000+ in total depending on what sources you look at, but it could well be months before a final death toll is known with any degree of accuracy due to the total devastation in some areas.

i just saw a report about the royal wedding next month and that there will be 400 CNN reporters assigned to report on that event, which contrasts quite starkly with the 50 reporters CNN currently have in japan reporting on the events there. :(

unfortunately it probably says more about society than it does about CNN. i imagine that they're just reporting on what they think their readership want to hear about based on previous reports they've done on various subjects. :(

has anyone actually got any good news?

• Advertisement

Fall out fever is becoming rampant across the US. People are beginning to refuse the handling of japanese products in case they could contain radiation.

Italy is the first EU nation to ban food imports from japan altogether in the wake of the nuclear scare.

http://rt.com/news/made-japan-label-nuclear/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

vibe666 wrote: »
    this has got fcuk all to do with 'winning points'. seriously, WTF is wrong with you? :confused:

i'd be fcuking ecstatic if this thread contained 3500+ posts about the ACTUAL important issues in japan and maybe a maximum of 500 posts about the status of fukushima, but some people just can't quit with the scaremongering BS and then accuse people of 'point winning' for trying to draw the attention to the real problems, that's what's REALLY wrong with this thread so just stop it right now.

there's absolutely no excuse for it at this stage in the course of events since last friday. it's all bullsh1t and if you can click on a few links and read what's right in front of you, like the vast majority of people posting in and reading this thread you can't help but know that its bullsh1t at this stage so what the hell are you even doing still milking every last drop for all its worth?

i'm baffled beyond belief at how you lot can still keep going with it after everything that has happened. fukushima is an insignificant blip in all of this and will never be anything more but you just can't let it go.

seriously, why aren't you discussing the real problems in japan instead of fixating on fukushima?

in fact, why don't we do that?

why don't we spend the next 24 hours discussing everything going on in japan right now except fukushima and see what we learn? it's still going to be there for you tomorrow, just slightly more stable than it is today, but we might have drawn a lot more focus on the real issues instead.

vibe I see you are getting all het up on this thread now, after coming across as a bit of an a*se on the other thread. I see you have taken a liking to "bananas" now to prove you point, you silly monkey. Where did you hear that- from your MIT buddies. Are you going to curse and swear at anyone on this thread that doesn't believe your opinion :rolleyes: and tell them that all they do is read the sun. :D get a grip - you have not got a clue and reading some pro nuclear apologies opinions does not make you knowledgable - it just makes you gullable.

vibe I see you are getting all het up on this thread now, after coming across as a bit of an a*se on the other thread. I see you have taken a liking to "bananas" now to prove you point, you silly monkey. Where did you hear that- from your MIT buddies. Are you going to curse and swear at anyone on this thread that doesn't believe your opinion :rolleyes: and tell them that all they do is read the sun. :D get a grip - you have not got a clue and reading some pro nuclear apologies opinions does not make you knowledgable - it just makes you gullable.
    seriously, how old are you exactly? if it's older than 10 you might want to consider acting a little closer to your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Workers have been evacuated from the plant after smoke was seen rising from one of the reactors..

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/asia/east-pacific/Workers-Evacuated-as-Smoke-Rises-From-Japanese-Nuclear-Plant-118350314.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

3:55pm [local] Black and Grey Smoke rose from the reactor Fukushima Dai-ichi No3 along with steam. No fire detected. µ442 detected. Smoke ceased after about two hours. Temporary withdrawal of personnel while grey smoke was investigated

• Advertisement

Traces of Iodine and Caesium detected near Tokyo, the isotopes don’t occur naturally.

yeah, put the handbags away FFS, let people tell us what is going on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Dolphin city / vibe 666. No more of the personal crap on here please. Take it to PM if you want to knock each other's input. The thread doesn't need derailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

From the US Embassy in Tokyo..

"Within the 30-kilometer perimeter established by the Japanese government, aerial measurement data shows the degree of radioactive contamination at ground level varying considerably by location, with the most affected areas thus far stretching to the northwest of the reactor site, well within the 50-mile recommended perimeter."

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/p/tp-20110320-02.html

So they have detailed maps of the radioactive contamination at ground level... yet all we hear from TEPCO is "big noise and white smoke comes from the reactor".

Adopting '*the three monkeys' position wont make it go away.

*"see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil"

Dispersion model of the Iodine 131 plume from the Austrian weather service showing onshore winds for the next day or two.

This increases the chances of land contamination unless they can effectively choke off the problem at source.

http://www.zamg.ac.at/pict/aktuell/20110321_fuku_I-131.gif

and for some perspective, a google translation (sorry, don't speak german, but it does seem to be reasonably accurate) of the text that goes with the graph.
    The color scale is currently showing a total of 5 colors. With "Area E" areas are identified that are currently burdened with an effective dose of about 10 milli-Sievert per hour, which is a maximum estimate based on the data in a 25x25 km2 box. The "Area A" (purple color) defines a region with a maximum load of 0.3 micro Sievert per hour. This value corresponds to the dose rate of global average background exposure.

Simulations of the passive noble gas 133 Xe since the beginning of the accident (10.3 8 UTC) show that the highly rarefied air of Fukushima (factor 10000-1000000) is now the Russian Far East, the Western U.S., Alaska and Canada has been reached (see Figure ). Due to the deposition but the particles are washed out continuously, while noble gases remain in the atmosphere.

Radiation data / CTBTO
    The current radiation data from the CTBTO (last one today, data from 18.3. 2011) show that radiation after Russia and California is currently being observed in Alaska and western Canada. The iodine-131 levels in Alaska (Station Sand Point) were in the range of mBqm-3, Canada (Station Sydney, Vancouver) an order of magnitude lower. A health relevance exists.
    for reference, Xenon-133 = half-life of 5.24 days and Iodine-131 = half-life of 8.0 days.

Firemen working the water hoses endured radiation levels of 70~100mSv [millisieverts]/hr. They actually could not read their own gauges so relied on their supervisor to keep watch for them.

vibe666 wrote: »
    and for some perspective, a google translation (sorry, don't speak german, but it does seem to be reasonably accurate) of the text that goes with the graph.

for reference, Xenon-133 = half-life of 5.24 days and Iodine-131 = half-life of 8.0 days.

I posted the modeling of the local spread of the Iodine 131 plume in Japan.

The Austrian weather service have modeled Xenon for the distribution of the plume in the northern hemisphere as seen here.

http://www.zamg.ac.at/pict/aktuell/20110321_fuku_Xenon-Simulation.gif

Although it looks dramatic it has been diluted so much that there is little danger from it and Xenon is one of the most benign isotopes to be ejected from the reactors. So absolutely no need to worry there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

andrew wrote: »
    Current situation overview, according to the IAEA, as of 20 March 2011 at 19:39:

If it's from the IAEA, is it reasonable to assume there's a pronuclear slant to the report?

• Advertisement

Masataka Shimizu
    "The head of Tokyo Electric Power Co. has reportedly not appeared in public in a week, raising questions about whether he has control of the nuclear crisis in the country. The 66-year-old has not yet visited the Fukushima Daiichi plant in north Japan which is spewing radioactive smoke..."

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/03/21/mondays-most-intriguing-yemeni-leader-japans-power-chief-record-setting-runner/

Good move Mr Shimizu ! :-/

As far as i am concerned he should be a human radiation shield for the first responders...

:mad:

If it's from the IAEA, is it reasonable to assume there's a pronuclear slant to the report?
    Peer Review is a bitch. If they get caught making big fat lies it would ruin their reputation and set nuclear back. Who wants that?

gbee wrote: »
    Firemen working the water hoses endured radiation levels of 70~100mSv [millisieverts]/hr. They actually could not read their own gauges so relied on their supervisor to keep watch for them.

The bravery of these guys/gals is astonishing. I feel for their family's who must be sick with worry for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Jake1 wrote: »
    The bravery of these guys/gals is astonishing. I feel for their family's who must be sick with worry for them.

yeah.. if I had a family, I would not be willing to do that
    I hope they don't need any treatment and that long term health effects are minimal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Overheal wrote: »
    Peer Review is a bitch. If they get caught making big fat lies it would ruin their reputation and set nuclear back. Who wants that?

Thanks.
    Who reviews it.

Thanks.
    Who reviews it.
    The world. The US Military. Radnet. Any crazy worried civilian with a geiger counter. You name it!

And all those other energy comissions which im not learned up on.

Japanese restaurant in Taiwan is supplying geiger counters to its customers to check for radiation in meals.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-fgw-japan-quake-food-20110322,0,100029.story

Japanese restaurant in Taiwan is supplying geiger counters to its customers to check for radiation in meals.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-fgw-japan-quake-food-20110322,0,100029.story

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Bag a chips and a Geiger counter please...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

if it was here that restaurant would never see those Geiger Counters again :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement