Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Overheal wrote: »
    The world. The US Military. Radnet. Any crazy worried civilian with a geiger counter. You name it!

And all those other energy comissions which im not learned up on.
    i was listening to a podcast last week where a bunch of british scientists were briefing (afaik) embassy staff and others in japan on the current state of affairs at the time and the general gist of it was, that when they were told that the current levels of radiation posed no health risks to the public, questions were asked about how reliable the information was that they were receiving and if 'we' (being the international community i guess) could be sure 'they' were being honest about it, and the reply from one of the scientists was that it was all being independently monitored by the scientific community both at 3rd party monitoring stations around the world and and using the data from japan's own monitoring stations, so basically, they couldn't fake the levels even if they wanted to.

i came across this before and after satellite photo of a town in japan that has pretty much been totally wiped off the map. :(

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=49684

there's hi-res colour adjusted images showing the town and surrounding area and its just been totally obliterated.

there's also a bbc report from what's left of the town and there's practically nothing left.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12801085

the report is about how they couldn't get their floodgates closed and that the fire chief had complained about inadequate defences after a previous tsunami, but looking at it i don't think anything could have saved the town.

its heart breaking to see the looks on their faces, they just don't know where to start to try and pick up the pieces, they're just going through the motions searching for people because that's all there is for them to do.

you just can't imagine what it must be like for them knowing that so many people they knew are gone, family, their home, everything and all they can do now is suck it up and carry on to pick through the debris looking for whatever bodies they can find so they can at least have a decent burial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Geologists warn another earthquake could tear Tokyo in two after weakening of fault line below capital. :eek: (Daily Mail eek)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1368405/Geologists-warn-powerful-earthquake-strike-Tokyo-disaster-weakened-fault-line-near-capital.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

"10:23 a.m. Monday ET, 11:23 p.m. Monday Tokyo] The U.S. Navy is moving the aircraft carrier USS George Washington from its port at Yokosuka Naval Base near Yokohama to avoid radiation exposure."

Yokosuka is in Tokyo Bay... so it looks like the Yanks think Tokyo is due to get a dusting of radioactive particles from the plant, as the wind swings to the northeast.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

One of the saddest things i have ever seen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12813630

They put all the schools on high ground so the kids would be free to avoid the Tsunami. The amount of kids who didn't have parents to pick them up that day...horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Geologists warn another earthquake could tear Tokyo in two after weakening of fault line below capital. :eek: (Daily Mail eek)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1368405/Geologists-warn-powerful-earthquake-strike-Tokyo-disaster-weakened-fault-line-near-capital.html

no scaremongering there then :p
    Don't think it's news to people in Tokyo, they've been expecting 'the big one' for decades and have built almost everything to be able to withstand a direct 7+. Hopefully that would be enough, but people are always gonna expect the worst I think.
    "10:23 a.m. Monday ET, 11:23 p.m. Monday Tokyo] The U.S. Navy is moving the aircraft carrier USS George Washington from its port at Yokosuka Naval Base near Yokohama to avoid radiation exposure."

Yokosuka is in Tokyo Bay... so it looks like the Yanks think Tokyo is due to get a dusting of radioactive particles from the plant, as the wind swings to the northeast.

Tokyo is to the south of Fukushima and the wind is going to the northeast as you say, so seems a bit strange they'd move it to avoid radiation.. hopefully they don't expect the wind to start blowing south any time soon :s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Tokyo is to the south of Fukushima and the wind is going to the northeast as you say, so seems a bit strange they'd move it to avoid radiation.. hopefully they don't expect the wind to start blowing south any time soon :s

you got it wrong man!
    tis the other way round.

a northeasterly is wind blowing from the north east.

for wind to start blowing south, as you say, the correct term is a northerly.

The predominant wind in ireland is a south westerly, ie coming in from the atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

skelliser wrote: »
    a northeasterly is wind blowing from the north east.

I should probably avoid going for any meteorology related jobs so.. either way, damn them yanks and their fear of radiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

3 aftershocks in the last 2 hrs of m6.6

as they somewhat ironically sit in safety aboard a giant aircraft carrier that has two nuclear reactors of its own. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

"A pool at the damaged Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant used to store spent fuel rods is nearing the boiling point, officials said Tuesday.

If the water bubbles and evaporates the rods will become exposed and emit more radiation"

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/topic/japan-earthquake/article/120279--fukushima-plant-s-storage-pools-near-boiling-point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Not sure of time: Fukushima Dai-ichi Electricity has been hooked up to N03 and N04 reactor control rooms. 22:43 local time lights came on

Man against nature...

The story of Tarou, a model town known for the strength of its tsunami defences

Radioactive contamination outside the exclusion zone and possibly entering the food chain.

"Japan's science ministry says radiation exceeding 400 times the normal level was detected in soil about 40 kilometers from the troubled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

The ministry surveyed radioactive substances in soil about 5 centimeters below the surface at roadsides on Monday."

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/22_35.html

vibe666 wrote: »
    as they somewhat ironically sit in safety aboard a giant aircraft carrier that has two nuclear reactors of its own. :)

But their reactors are not leaking and no fuel rods open to the sky.

:rolleyes:

But their reactors are not leaking and no fuel rods open to the sky.

:rolleyes:
    i know that, i just thought it was still a little bit ironic. :)

there's a very interesting story posted on reddit of a Delta Airlines pilot recounting the time just after the earthquake struck as he was on approach to land at Narita airport in Japan.

http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/comments/g7ksg/written_by_a_delta_pilot_on_approach_to_tokyo/

pretty hairy stuff and you can only imagine how hard it must have been for ATC and the pilots involved to try and get all the incoming planes landed safely in all the chaos, but i guess its good news that all we're hearing is an anecdotal story from a pilot who had a bit of a close shave and not news reports that planes were falling out of the sky with no fuel and nowhere to land.

EDIT: should probably also mention i robbed it from this thread:): http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056215066

Water in Tokyo unsafe for infants...

"Infants in Tokyo and surrounding areas should not drink tap water, a Tokyo official said Wednesday, after radioactive iodine from a crippled nuclear power plant was detected in the capital’s water supply.

Ei Yoshida, head of water purification for the Tokyo water department, made the announcement at a televised news conference. He said iodine-131 had been detected in water samples at a level of 210 becquerels. The recommended limit for infants is 100 becquerels.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/23/world/asia/24japan.html?_r=1&hp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I must say the media is doing a bang up job of covering over this story. The situation seems to just get worse.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Mister men wrote: »
    I must say the media is doing a bang up job of covering over this story. The situation seems to just get worse.:(

You have it in one there! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Mister men wrote: »

How so? Are the plants still leaking? Spent fuel pools boiling off?

Fukushima radioactivity reaches Europe... in miniscule amounts.

"Minuscule numbers of radioactive particles believed to have come from Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant have been detected as far away as Iceland, officials revealed last night.

Traces of iodine-131, below levels of concern for human health, were discovered in an air filter used at a radiation monitoring centre in Reykjavik at the weekend, the Icelandic Radiation Safety Authority (IRSA) said."

http://www.independent.ie/incoming/incoming_dailyfeed/tiny-traces-of-radiation-detected-as-far-away-as-iceland-2590522.html

The Meteo France model of the radioactive spread seems fairly accurate, so we can expect some traces here too.

http://www.irsn.fr/FR/popup/Pages/irsn-meteo-france_19mars.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

is it still safe as houses in japan? only I heard this morning that the radiation has now reached harmful levels for small kids in the water supply. I thought this could never happen!!!!

Confab wrote: »
    How so? Are the plants still leaking? Spent fuel pools boiling off?
    i hate to say it, but a lot of us have been following the advice from all these scientists saying that there would be no danger to public health from the reactor problems, but its looking increasingly like that just isn't the case.

i'd hope that its a very temporary situation given the half-lifes of most of the isotopes involved so fingers crossed once all the reactors are all under full control again and no longer spitting out whatever it is that is causing the contamination, all they'll need to do is wait for the isotopes to decay in a week or so after that.

fingers crossed. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

80 days apparently. The iodine isotope should decay to zero in 80 days, the fear will last longer naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,040 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Fukushima radioactivity reaches Europe... in miniscule amounts.

"Minuscule numbers of radioactive particles believed to have come from Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant have been detected as far away as Iceland, officials revealed last night.

Traces of iodine-131, below levels of concern for human health, were discovered in an air filter used at a radiation monitoring centre in Reykjavik at the weekend, the Icelandic Radiation Safety Authority (IRSA) said."

http://www.independent.ie/incoming/incoming_dailyfeed/tiny-traces-of-radiation-detected-as-far-away-as-iceland-2590522.html

The Meteo France model of the radioactive spread seems fairly accurate, so we can expect some traces here too.

http://www.irsn.fr/FR/popup/Pages/irsn-meteo-france_19mars.aspx

i hate to say it, but a lot of us have been following the advice from all these scientists saying that there would be no danger to public health from the reactor problems, but its looking increasingly like that just isn't the case.

i'd hope that its a very temporary situation given the half-lifes of most of the isotopes involved so fingers crossed once all the reactors are all under full control again and no longer spitting out whatever it is that is causing the contamination, all they'll need to do is wait for the isotopes to decay in a week or so after that.

Realizing though of course that the levels being detected haven't been of any or much concern to human health outside of Japan. I think at the worst you might see precautionary measures taken to clean/discard some crops and things.
    I must say the media is doing a bang up job of covering over this story. The situation seems to just get worse.
    Thing is, the IAEA and the Media aren't withholding information, they just aren't getting enough. Japanese officials aren't forthcoming with updates saying they need more time to declare the situation stable. Knowing the Japanese though, that could mean anything. They're very "Don't Panic, bring a towel". I think it's as much a case as things may turn out alright at this point but they don't want to give any false hopes, so they're sticking to the facts and nothing but the facts.

All the while though I'm perfectly aware I woke up this morning to potentially minimally elevated levels of background radiation. It's not something which presently has me concerned. I lost far, far more sleep when NASA launched Cassini.

i'd hope that its a very temporary situation given the half-lifes of most of the isotopes involved...

MMmmm there is hope and then there is reality. I feel its going to be far from a 'temporary situation'... the question now is how many square kms of Japan will end up uninhabitable for years.

All radioisotopes have a half life... the time it takes for any radionuclide to lose half of its radioactivity—and eventually all radioactive waste decays into safe non-radioactive elements.

Some of the common isotopes in the radioactive contamination

Iodine-131 half life 8 days
    Caesium-137 half life about 30.17 years
    Strontium-90 half life 28.8 years

But also a whole soup of others, perhaps including some isotopes of Plutonium from the MOX fuel in reactor3, like Plutonium-239 with a half-life of 24,100 years !

They had the earthquake, then the tsunami, then the radioactive contamination, and now FLOODS !

"The 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake largely sank the ground level of the Pacific coast of Tohoku region and northern part of Kanto region. The risk of the submergence and flood in these regions has become larger than before the 2011 off the Pacific coast of Tohoku Earthquake.

Therefore, it is necessary to pay special attention to the tide level and to prepare for the submergence and flood in these regions, especially during the spring tide, when the flood tide level becomes higher than usual."

http://www.jma.go.jp/jma/en/News/2011_spring_tide.html

Jeez... they deserve a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,040 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you forgot the volcanoes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I see 2 Pokémon episodes have been postponed due its similar nature of destruction in the episodes in question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement