Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

MMmmm there is hope and then there is reality. I feel its going to be far from a 'temporary situation'... the question now is how many square kms of Japan will end up uninhabitable for years.
    we're not there yet, so at the moment reality and hope can coexist together until we actually know for sure otherwise.
    The health ministry adds that the radiation levels measured in the tap water do not pose an immediate health risk to babies younger than one year old even if they drink it.

However the ministry has urged consumers not to use the water to prepare baby formulas as a precaution.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 15:09 +0900 (JST)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Tokyo Says Infants Face Health Risk From Radiation in Tap Water

Tokyo Says Infants Face Health Risk From Radiation in Tap Water - Businessweek

Black smoke rising again from NO 3 reactor workers evacuated. not good at all.

The status of six reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant - CNN.com

Tokyo Says Infants Face Health Risk From Radiation in Tap Water
    But only for babies less than 12 months who are highly sensitive to just about anything anyway, radioactive or not. apart from that ultra sensitive group, tap water levels are currently still safe for everyone else to drink. it's also iodine-131 which is the isotope which has a half-life of 8 days, so this should hopefully only be a very short term situation.
    Black smoke rising again from NO 3 reactor workers evacuated. not good at all.
    very briefly, subsided again in less than an hour and no appreciable difference in radiation levels according to onsite sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

vibe666 wrote: »

The health ministry adds that the radiation levels measured in the tap water do not pose an immediate health risk to babies younger than one year old even if they drink it.

The 'immediate' word is the one that counts in that sentence. What is going to happen to these babies who have ingested particles of radioactive materials in later life?

The reality is that all radiation is harmful and can cause cancer.

Everybody should try to minimize the amount of radiation they are exposed to and children are more vulnerable than adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What is going to happen to these babies who have ingested particles of radioactive materials in later life?
    Nothing. The isotope has a half-life of 8 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The 'immediate' word is the one that counts in that sentence. What is going to happen to these babies who have ingested particles of radioactive materials in later life?

Everybody should try to minimize the amount of radiation they are exposed to and children are more vulnerable than adults.

By all accounts not particularly much. You apparently have 25% chance of catching cancer anyway in life and thyroid cancer which is what would happen with iodine poisoning (the biggest threat so far as my understanding goes) is 'easily' cured.

At this stage I really don't think there's much left to really worry about. Even places like Sky News have toned down and slowed down their reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

that is NOT reality and continuing to say it is is simple scaremongering

has this not been posted yet?

http://www.xkcd.com/radiation/

• Registered Users Posts: 83,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"A cell phone's transmitter does not produce ionizing radiation* and does not cause cancer.

*unless it's a bananaphone."
    All ionizing radiation carries a relative risk of cancer. In this case though you'd be more susceptible to cancer from a day out at the beach than you would from any of this radiation coming from fukushima.

don't mention the bananas! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Metareprisal

FruitLover wrote: »
    Jesus ****ing Christ. WTF is wrong with you? I know this is After Hours, but do you understand that actual people, with families; fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, husbands, wives; have died because of this earthquake?

I haven't heard back yet from some friends of mine in Sendai and Ibaraki. That means I don't know whether they're alive or dead. They might just be yellow, slanty-eyed people to you, but they're friends to me and anyone else living here.

Do you even think about this kind of thing when you post this ****?

****ing hell, and I thought I was insensitive...

just a word on this - i thought you were insensitive, despite yes being overly sensitive - but luckily the filter blocked the expletives out. you said "my laptop was one of the casualties of the quake.." did that remain the only casualty in relation to you n yours? i hope so.. to which i replied "thats horrible, i'm sorry". which prompted that tirade. which, rather damagingly to my feelings, you were thanked by 17 people. including 'hot lips'. some people who had no input in the thread other than that. i merely expressed sentiment, but it was sincere and damned if i'm being misinterpreted as joking. . whats more i was further made an example of when quoted with a ban notice, all because of your reaction.

and.. you went on to accuse me of racism, not caring. deep breath - the love of my life is an Angami girl in Nagaland. you know, them yellow slanty-eyed people? know where that is? she's from an indigenous tribe - and my friend's wife who lives here, Yu Lynch, is from Miyagi. thats right, not sendai or ibiraki, but the place that really took the brunt. and it was felt right here at home, dealing with her worries it transpired her family's fine thank goodness, but many people she knows are still unaccounted for.

but i'll never, ever make the mistake of expressing an ounce of caring on boards.ie again. why? because i'm banned for such accusations. misinterpretations - its a massive relief though, not being able to return god knows i needed it.. but i really had to clear my name on that. but you know for al's girl Yu, the concern was right here. in Crumlin, Dublin. for her relatives and friends over there, in Miyagi, Japan - yes, you really did get it that wrong. but i understand.

i forgive you somewhat but for such misinterpretations, hope all turned out well with you and yours and i'll gladly bid a farewell to boards.ie. but not before i clear my name on that - hot lips; do what you do best and ban me again - and let this thread resume.

• Advertisement

i'm banned
    That's horrible :( I'm sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Metareprisal

Overheal wrote: »
    I wouldnt have focused your sympathy on the laptop then. I don't think you've "cleared" anything, tbh.

go to hell, you bot.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

go to hell, you bot.

You first.:D

Japan's government has estimated the direct damage from an earthquake and tsunami at up to €217 billion. I guess that this physical damage to infrastructure, buildings, resettlement etc and dose not include backlash from nations holding back on Japanese exports due to radioactivity

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0323/japan-business.html

well that was quick.

Mister Sulu: status Report!

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/23/japan.reactors.status/

Reactor No. 1

Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said Wednesday that temperatures had spiked above 400 degrees Celsius in this reactor, forcing workers to inject more seawater into the reactor to cool it down.

On Tuesday TEPCO reported that seawater did more damage electrical and cooling systems for this reactor than previously believed, and the unit will take longer to repair than expected.

Fuel rods have been partly exposed, and the core of the reactor is believed to have been damaged. The building that houses the reactor was severely damaged in a hydrogen explosion March 12, but the containment vessel -- the steel and concrete shell that insulates radioactive material inside -- was not damaged.

Workers have been pumping a mix of seawater and boron into the reactor to prevent further core damage until coolant systems can be brought back online.

Reactor No. 2

Coolant pumps and electrical components were damaged at Reactor No. 2, and the earliest those parts can be replaced is Wednesday, TEPCO reported.

Officials say fuel inside the reactor has been partially exposed as temperatures rose and water levels dropped. Workers have injected seawater into the reactor.

The reactor building has been slightly damaged, and a suspected explosion March 15 may have damaged the reactor's containment vessel.

White smoke emerged from the building Monday and Tuesday, but the cause had not been determined.

Workers have been pumping a mix of seawater and boron into the reactor to prevent further core damage until coolant systems can be brought back online.

Reactor No. 3

Black smoke emerged from the building housing this reactor Wednesday. Officials have not said what caused it, or whether any radiation was released.

Power has been restored in the control room at this reactor -- which officials say could be a key step in bringing cooling systems back online. TEPCO planned to conduct tests Wednesday of pumps designed to inject water into the reactor.

Officials say fuel inside the reactor has been partially exposed as temperatures rose and water levels dropped. Workers have injected seawater into the reactor. Its fuel includes plutonium mixed with the uranium in its fuel rods, which experts say could cause more harm than regular uranium fuels in the event of a meltdown.

A pool containing spent fuel rods is a chief concern. Firefighters planned to continue dousing the pools with water Wednesday to keep those rods cool.

The building was severely damaged in a hydrogen explosion March 14. Gray smoke also emerged from the building Monday. By Tuesday, the smoke was white and was dissipating. Officials have not said what caused it.

Reactor No. 4

At least one fire and an explosion severely damaged the building on March 15.

The reactor does not contain any fuel rods, and no damage is suspected in the reactor's containment vessel.

But the pool that houses the spent fuel rods is a chief concern.

Crews continued using cement pumps to spray water on the pool Wednesday to keep fuel rods cool.

Reactor No. 5

Workers created vent holes in the building's roof to avoid a hydrogen explosion.

The cooling system has electrical power. That controls the temperature of the reactor, which is in cold shutdown, and the pool containing spent fuel rods.

Reactor No. 6

Workers created vent holes in the building's roof to avoid a hydrogen explosion.

The cooling system has electrical power. That controls the temperature of the reactor, which is in cold shutdown, and the pool containing spent fuel rods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

it's great the people are seeing sense now and not just believe everythign that is spouted out from so called "experts".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

just a word on this - i thought you were insensitive, despite yes being overly sensitive - but luckily the filter blocked the expletives out. you said "my laptop was one of the casualties of the quake.." did that remain the only casualty in relation to you n yours? i hope so.. to which i replied "thats horrible, i'm sorry". which prompted that tirade. which, rather damagingly to my feelings, you were thanked by 17 people. including 'hot lips'. some people who had no input in the thread other than that. i merely expressed sentiment, but it was sincere and damned if i'm being misinterpreted as joking. . whats more i was further made an example of when quoted with a ban notice, all because of your reaction.

and.. you went on to accuse me of racism, not caring. deep breath - the love of my life is an Angami girl in Nagaland. you know, them yellow slanty-eyed people? know where that is? she's from an indigenous tribe - and my friend's wife who lives here, Yu Lynch, is from Miyagi. thats right, not sendai or ibiraki, but the place that really took the brunt. and it was felt right here at home, dealing with her worries it transpired her family's fine thank goodness, but many people she knows are still unaccounted for.

but i'll never, ever make the mistake of expressing an ounce of caring on boards.ie again. why? because i'm banned for such accusations. misinterpretations - its a massive relief though, not being able to return god knows i needed it.. but i really had to clear my name on that. but you know for al's girl Yu, the concern was right here. in Crumlin, Dublin. for her relatives and friends over there, in Miyagi, Japan - yes, you really did get it that wrong. but i understand.

i forgive you somewhat but for such misinterpretations, hope all turned out well with you and yours and i'll gladly bid a farewell to boards.ie. but not before i clear my name on that - hot lips; do what you do best and ban me again - and let this thread resume.

There was a lot of knee jerk reaction and people on high horses here last week (still one or two around).
    I expect you were just a casualty of that.

"Japan fails to contain leaks as radiation heads our way, radiation spewed from the stricken Japanese nuclear power plant has reached Europe and is heading towards Ireland" "going to harm us for a long time" :eek: ..........

Irish Daily Mail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

"Japan fails to contain leaks as radiation heads our way, radiation spewed from the stricken Japanese nuclear power plant has reached Europe and is heading towards Ireland" "going to harm us for a long time" :eek: ..........

Irish Daily Mail

hahahahahaha

Could someone explain to me in laymans terms, what a Nuetron beam is, and why the fact , Neutron beam has been observed at site.

Does this mean things are worse now? :confused:

Thanks

Jake1 wrote: »
    Could someone explain to me in laymans terms, what a Nuetron beam is, and why the fact , Neutron beam has been observed at site.

Does this mean things are worse now? :confused:

Thanks
    It sounds just like a technical term for radiation that is leaking out of the plant.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110324a6.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

<hyperbole>

Irish Daily Mail

looooool

anybody watch Evangelion? No? Me neither, but this website uses a Neon-Genesis style app to monitor the japanese power grid in semi-real time

http://kanmisikou.net/lab/power/

why you need to i dont know but its interesting to see what kind of hobbies japanese people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Sigh*

So the fallback position for the usual suspects is that radiation is not so bad after all... nothing to worry about here... move on folks.

The greatest health risk from radiation in Ireland is caused by radon.

It accounts for 56 per cent of the total radiation dose received by the Irish population.

Between 150 and 200 lung cancer deaths in Ireland every year can be linked to radon.

The Radiological Protection Institute of Ireland

I repeat... everyone should try to minimize their exposure to (ionizing) radiation.

Sigh*

So the fallback position for the usual suspects is that radiation is not so bad after all... nothing to worry about here... move on folks.
    At your remit I welcome you to live in a lead-lined basement for the rest of your life.

The point being made is that the fukushima radiation reaching Europe is not significant. At least not at this point.

Q: Should San Diegans be worried about radiation exposure from the Japanese reactors?
    A: There should be no concern yet in San Diego about Japanese radiation exposure. Detectable levels of radioactive isotopes here should remain well within safe limits. If a large explosion creating a significant fallout cloud is generated, it would likely take several days to reach the United States – plenty of time to prepare by taking potassium iodide and to take any other measures needed to be safe. There is no need to buy or take iodine supplements at this time, and supplies should be released by government agencies to protect at-risk individuals if the need occurs.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/mar/22/no-need-to-take-potassium-iodide-at-this-time/

Believe me: when *I* start taking Potassium Iodide, I'll let you all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,910 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

the question now is how many square kms of Japan will end up uninhabitable for years.

Zero.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Sigh*

I repeat... everyone should try to minimize their exposure to (ionizing) radiation.

Why are you so intent through this entire thread on being negative?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Why are you so intent through this entire thread on being negative?

I dunno, I hope they build a plant down in Ringa just to piss him off :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement