Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

Jesus. This is getting worse and worse. The nuclear threat brings everything to a terrifying and dangerous new level.

BBC were reporting that a boat carrying 100 people has gone missing and nobody knows where it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ranopano

Its not just my maths then.
    Fine bit of speed there

You can't think of these forces of nature in terms of what man can generate, it's on a different scale. A guy on Sky News was saying that the energy of the tsunami is the equivalent to hundreds of nuclear bombs. It's a stupid comparison really because this is all on a different scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Thrill wrote: »
    Apparently it's speed is close to that of a jumbo 747.
    Dont care how high a wave is.I dont want that in the face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭mmmmmmm.......

Am I doing maths right here?
    Japan to Peru is roughly 15000km and thats expected to feel it 21 hours after the earthquake hit.How fast is that thing going?

714.3km/hour according to my leaving cert maths:D

think to yourself about how fast 120km/hr on the motorway is and that should give some perspective:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

ranopano wrote: »
    You can't think of these forces of nature in terms of what man can generate, it's on a different scale. A guy on Sky News was saying that the energy of the tsunami is the equivalent to hundreds of nuclear bombs. It's a stupid comparison really because this is all on a different scale.

When nature means business we haven't a hope fighting it. It really is hard to grasp the power and scale.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Couldn't get through to wife's family this morning but got an email, everyone ok, thank feck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

<snip>

Mod: Leave it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

BBC were reporting that a boat carrying 100 people has gone missing and nobody knows where it is.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/51638000/jpg/_51638183_011499173-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Live on NHK now, schoolchildren stuck on a roof of a kindergarden school, and fires nearby. Misayagui ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I wonder did the likes of that whirlpool they showed earlier have anything to do with it going missing.
    mixednuts wrote: »

Fcuking hell. :eek::(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RTE News Now have the NHK live feed running (rte.ie/live and DTT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

The most amazing thing about this whole event for me is the low death toll so far, in most places you'd have immediately been looking at tens of thousands, instead of just tens. No doubt that will climb significantly before the end, but still, I'm in awe of the engineering and preparation systems the Japanese must have in place.

The very best of luck to them, although they have less need of it than they might due to their own skill and competence, and sincere sympathies for their troubles.

The tone of voice of the newscaster on the NHK puts a lot of the stuff in perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Dont care how high a wave is.I dont want that in the face

when is gets to shallow waters the speed slows down! but the wave gets higher

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/10/140_40.php

Very interesting to see where these quakes are taking place in almost real time

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Death toll up to 60.

No specific source. Just reading the live updates to the side of the BBC News stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Yes, what the fcuk is that gigantic whirlpool thing? Saw it on one of them news links a little while ago, and there was a white boat on it's outskirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    The most amazing thing about this whole event for me is the low death toll so far.

They haven't come close to counting the dead there so far. Its only been 6 hours since the disaster and its night time there now. It'll take days for an accurate figure to come out and it could be very, very high unfortunately.

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    The most amazing thing about this whole event for me is the low death toll so far, in most places you'd have immediately been looking at tens of thousands, instead of just tens. No doubt that will climb significantly before the end, but still, I'm in awe of the engineering and preparation systems the Japanese must have in place.

The very best of luck to them, although they have less need of it than they might due to their own skill and competence, and sincere sympathies for their troubles.

I have a bad feeling that the toll will go well into the thousands .

Just look at the video on the BBC News site:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598

You can see cars. trucks. vans , houses been swept away ..no chance of survival .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

mike65 wrote: »
    RTE News Now have the NHK live feed running (rte.ie/live and DTT)

Got there before you;) You only get a grasp of the scale when you see 40 ft artics being engulfed like toys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Yes, what the fcuk is that gigantic whirlpool thing? Saw it on one of them news links a little while ago, and there was a white boat on it's outskirts.

I found a clip for it.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/8375719/Japanese-tsunami-creates-whirlpool.html
    What causes the whirlpool effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I have a bad feeling that the toll will go well into the thousands .

Just look at the video on the BBC News site:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598

You can see cars. trucks. vans , houses been swept away ..no chance of survival .

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. It will soar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

That_Guy wrote: »
    Death toll up to 60.

No specific source. Just reading the live updates to the side of the BBC News stream.

One of the early reports showed at least 20cars with thier occupants standing watching as a sea of rubble rushed toward them at 50 or so MPH, no chance of escape as it was flat land. havnt seen that report since, must have been complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ranopano

Do you think CIE would still be operating after an earthquake like the buses are in Japan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

What causes the whirlpool effect?

Alternating currents usually, sink-holes. Sink hole is not likely in this case. It is 'just' the force of the wave meeting resistance and trying to go elsewhere and forming a whirlpool.

whilst this is a big event, smaller one form at every ebb and flow in every harbour in the world, some more powerful than others.

One of the early reports showed at least 20cars with thier occupants standing watching as a sea of rubble rushed toward them at 50 or so MPH, no chance of escape as it was flat land. havnt seen that report since, must have been complaints.

Yeah, the footage seems to be more and more censored, any footage seems to stop as you see it approach people in hopeless positions. You can kinda understand why.

Oh fcuk ...

Someone please tell me im wrong ... 24secs in look at the boat near the center of the whirlpool and tell me it engines are not running trying to escape it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

One of my staff came to work at 9pm and only found out as she arrived. Her family live on the coast a few hours drive from worst hit area. After 4hrs she still couldn't get a phone connection to japan. Lines too busy.

The tsunami warning has been lifted for NZ/OZ too.

NZ has already pledged to help japan recover, after all they helped Christchurch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Oh fcuk ... and tell me it engines are not running trying to escape it ?

Saw this earlier and I can't tell you what you want to hear ... this version is edited.

• Advertisement

The NHK is so so so scary - they're now reporting numbers of death in different areas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement