Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

If you cared to read the material you would find quoted source links. It was Alex jones was perhaps the first to expose the seriousness of the situation when official sources were playing it down.

All I see on PressTV is a Tehran columnist telling us we have 4 Chernobyls

• Registered Users Posts: 83,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

All I see on PressTV is a Tehran columnist telling us we have 4 Chernobyls
    And Iran is developing whatnow? That doesnt really seem in their best interest does it, to be scaremongering nuclear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

If you cared to read the material you would find quoted source links. It was Alex jones was perhaps the first to expose the seriousness of the situation when official sources were playing it down.

Alex Jones jumps on anything. If you take him seriously you'd be posting from your backyard bombshelter hoarding gold coins.

I think everyone understood the seriousness of the situation. The Japanese didn't prepare though.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110317/pl_afp/japanquakenuclearusmilitaryaid_20110317164527

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Was talking to a woman today collecting for a local charity who are sending out tents and disaster relief boxes to Japan, they've already sent some 500 to Haiti, Christchurch and so forth.

Chatting, she said thankfully we don't get too much of these disaster but the fallout is still a threat to us.

I told her to forget all about that totally. I told her she'd get more radiation from her phone than she would from the Fukushima Dai-ichi, even if they spilt all their plutonium on the ground.

I felt sorry for her as she was in real fear, she's just an ordinary woman collecting for charity on St Patrick's street.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Radiation is just still a scary word after years of the Cold War and will take a long time before people get over that:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-12860842

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The disinformation, nonsense and underplaying of the situation from TEPCO goes on… as reported by the BBC.

“Levels of radioactive iodine in the sea near the tsunami-stricken Fukushima nuclear plant are 1,250 times higher than the safety limit, officials say. The readings were taken about 300m (984ft) offshore...
    But the radiation will no longer be a risk after eight days, officials say.

The half-life of Iodine 131 is eight days.
    That means (as the name suggests) half of it will be gone in 8 days
    So in eight days the radiation will be 625 times higher than the safety limit.
    In 16 days 312.5 times the safety limit etc etc…
    It will be several months until it is below the safety limit.

And you can be damn sure that the leakage from the reactors into the environment is not pure radioactive iodine. It is an alphabet soup of other nasty stuff like Caesium 137 with a half-life of over 30 years and possibly Plutonium 239 with a half live of 24,100 years !

Who do they think they are fooling ?

:(

The disinformation, nonsense and underplaying of the situation from TEPCO goes on… as reported by the BBC.

“Levels of radioactive iodine in the sea near the tsunami-stricken Fukushima nuclear plant are 1,250 times higher than the safety limit, officials say. The readings were taken about 300m (984ft) offshore...

And you can be damn sure that the leakage from the reactors into the environment is not pure radioactive iodine. It is an alphabet soup of other nasty stuff like Caesium 137 with a half-life of over 30 years and possibly Plutonium 239 with a half live of 24,100 years !

Are you factoring in the Radioactive Decay Chain for those particles?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactive_decay
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decay_chain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine-131#Radioactive_decay

After 8.02 days it becomes stable element Xenon 131.

Overheal wrote: »
    And Iran is developing whatnow? That doesnt really seem in their best interest does it, to be scaremongering nuclear?

of course its in there interest, second largest exporter of oil!
    Look at whats happening in Germany for example

whats happening?

whats happening?
    huge protests, government closing plants due to moratorium imposed after what happened in Japan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It will be several months until it is below the safety limit. :(

80 days, just short of three months to ZERO. So far the plutonium is confined.

To catch heavy metal poisoning a fish would have to eat a physical lump of plutonium, then get caught and you'd then have to buy that exact fish and eat it.

gbee wrote: »
    80 days, just short of three months to ZERO. So far the plutonium is confined.

To catch heavy metal poisoning a fish would have to eat a physical lump of plutonium, then get caught and you'd then have to buy that exact fish and eat it.
    Also rob, Are you factoring in the Radioactive Decay Chain for those particles?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactive_decay
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decay_chain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine-...ioactive_decay

Are you factoring in the Radioactive Decay Chain for those particles?
    After 8.02 days it becomes stable element .

Are you a TEPCO disinformation artist ?
    Yes... half of the Iodine 131 will have decayed in 8.02 days.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nuclear/halfli.html#c1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

It's in the sea, doesn't matter how long the halflife is, it'll be diluted before it can do any harm.

At this stage following the accident in Chernobil the reactor was smothered in over 5,000 tons of sand, lead and boric acid and the situation was coming under control, but at a terrible human cost.

In Fukushima essentially all they have done is to run an extension lead from a functioning power line about 1km away, but very little is working in the three most damaged reactors… hardly a ringing endorsement of their competence.

:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

At this stage following the accident in Chernobil the reactor was smothered in over 5,000 tons of sand, lead and boric acid and the situation was coming under control, but at a terrible human cost.

In Fukushima essentially all they have done is to run an extension lead from a functioning power line about 1km away, but very little is working in the three most damaged reactors… hardly a ringing endorsement of their competence.

:eek:

You've gotta be trollin' if you're seriously comparing this to Chernobyl

andrew wrote: »
    It's in the sea, doesn't matter how long the halflife is, it'll be diluted before it can do any harm.

And what about the same plume of radioactive alphabet soup which was blown onto the land ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

In fairness, half of it decays (not all of it) in 8 days.

I was comparing the actions taken in the first 17 days in response to a nuclear disaster.

And what about the same plume of radioactive alphabet soup which was blown onto the land ?

The same plume? The iodine in this case is contained within coolent water. The iodine released into the air was released, well into the air. So they're not the 'same.' Anyway, In both cases the amounts were/are too small to cause much of a problem. The sea will dilute the water based iodine, the air will dilute the airborne iodine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The bank-thief's posts are annoying me now.

*un-follows thread*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

The bank-thief's posts are annoying me now.

*un-follows thread*
    Who can't you just "ignore" him?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

In fairness, it's no chernobyl. But on a scale of 1 to 10 its climbing up there.
    I hadn't seen that video about chernobyl either. Sobering stuff.
    Those lads in japan are dealing with stuff i hope to never deal with. God be with them all.

shedweller wrote: »
    In fairness, it's no chernobyl. But on a scale of 1 to 10 its climbing up there.
    I hadn't seen that video about chernobyl either. Sobering stuff.
    Those lads in japan are dealing with stuff i hope to never deal with. God be with them all.

The other 10 parts are worth a watch too, if you have time.

I agree with you about the lads on the ground in Japan who have to deal with this woeful mess, but I very worried about the quality of their leadership. TEPCO are just not up to the challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Way off topic, but I was planning a trip to thailand, should I still go? Its about 2750 miles away from fukuishima.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Way off topic, but I was planning a trip to thailand, should I still go? Its about 2750 miles away from fukuishima.

I wouldn't go

First of all, your statistically more likely to be killed in a crash on the way to the airport; 2nd - the plane, will more than likely run out of fuel because of the oil crisis and splash down into the pacific ocean (after it flies right through the huge cloud of radioactive dust that is heading this way); If you survive the crash you have a 98% probabilty of being eaten by the giant mutant great white sharks that are propogating as we speak in a giant mutant shark nursery of the coast of Fukushima. On the 2% chance you survive the sharks, you will probably be ok, but be sure to pack a geiger counter and a some iodine tablets.

I wouldn't go

First of all, your statistically more likely to be killed in a crash on the way to the airport; 2nd - the plane, will more than likely run out of fuel because of the oil crisis and splash down into the pacific ocean (after it flies right through the huge cloud of radioactive dust that is heading this way); If you survive the crash you have a 98% probabilty of being eaten by the giant mutant great white sharks that are propogating as we speak in a giant mutant shark nursery of the coast of Fukushima. On the 2% chance you survive the sharks, you will probably be ok, but be sure to pack a geiger counter and a some iodine tablets.
    Damn those statisticians! (hows my spelling?!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MountainDew

shedweller wrote: »
    Damn those statisticians! (hows my spelling?!)

*Statistics

Nearly mate ;)

Ah yes, but those who dabble in statistics?:)

• Advertisement

Is this true?
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=japans-two-incompatible-power-grids-2011-03-25
    Incredibly, the southwestern half of Japan, which largely survived the earthquake and tsunami unscathed, cannot help the northeastern half of the nation, which took the brunt of the damage, because the two sections of the country operate on two separate power grids that are incompatible. As NPR reported on March 24, the southwestern section can actually produce surplus power, but the transmission and distribution system there operates at 60 Hertz, and the northeastern region's grid operates at 50 Hz. This awkward situation, seen clearly on the Japanese map above (blue is 60 Hz, red is 50 Hz), is the legacy of a historic oddity: the "east," as it's referred to in Japan, built its grid based on the German 50 Hz system, and the "west" followed the American 60 Hz system.
    How could this happen?:confused::confused::confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement