Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Overheal wrote: »
    I do love a good radioactive tsunami wave.

And to add to their woes.... radioactive ground water threatening reactors 5 and 6 by flooding up through cracks in the turbine rooms which may knock out the generators.

(note the body language of the TEPCO official in this clip)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

bradlente wrote: »
    This thread has nothing to do with what I posted.

I was making the point that its being reported fukall on mainstream media anymore.Wayne Rooney saying a curse word on television is more important to the public right now apparently.

I've already posted in this thread about how good a job people are doing in here keeping others like me informed with opinion and linkage.Your right in everything you said about the thread but its completely irrelevent in relation to what I posted.

it got plenty of coverage at the start, but what do you want, a constant live watch of the plant on skynews? they do give updates on conditions and important developements. but personally i do not want my news clogged up with the same thing everyday all day. theres alot of stuff that goes on in the world, alot of important things happen everyday. its been a month and the updates for the plant literally trickle out, normally without any substance, and certainly nothing major that we havent heard before. its simply not worth reporting about constantly. fair enough you have a deep interest in the latest nuclear disaster, i do aswell. but you cant expect everyone to keep an interest on something that hasnt really developed in weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2011/04/fukushima-leak-is-plugged-tepc.html?DCMP=OTC-rss&nsref=online-news

Half decent good news there.

Everytime I see TEPCO in a sentence I seem to lose more and more faith in their ability and competence...

geetar wrote: »
    it got plenty of coverage at the start, but what do you want, a constant live watch of the plant on skynews? they do give updates on conditions and important developements. but personally i do not want my news clogged up with the same thing everyday all day. theres alot of stuff that goes on in the world, alot of important things happen everyday. its been a month and the updates for the plant literally trickle out, normally without any substance, and certainly nothing major that we havent heard before. its simply not worth reporting about constantly. fair enough you have a deep interest in the latest nuclear disaster, i do aswell. but you cant expect everyone to keep an interest on something that hasnt really developed in weeks.

Its not that I feel it should be clogging up our news as u say.I just find a good portion of mainstream "newsworthy" stories to be ridiculous is all.My initial post was just a dig at that.

I would say this situation is and has developed quite a bit in recent weeks,So I don't really agree with you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

japan is tearing itself apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

This thread has nothing to do with what I posted.

I was making the point that its being reported fukall on mainstream media anymore.Wayne Rooney saying a curse word on television is more important to the public right now apparently.

I've already posted in this thread about how good a job people are doing in here keeping others like me informed with opinion and linkage.Your right in everything you said about the thread but its completely irrelevent in relation to what I posted.

I assumed you were talking about on here as you never mentioned the media in general and at the time i read your post and replied it was on multiple channels. I was watching uninterrupted news about it for over an hour on Sky News alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

LighterGuy wrote: »
    japan is tearing itself apart.
    I dont think you understand the meaning of the phrase..6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Overheal wrote: »
    I dont think you understand the meaning of the phrase..6

Dont be a knob-end.
    The country has suffered so much tragedy in the last month and is still having more sh*t.

And all you do is to reply to say "you dont know the meaning of the phrase" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Dont be a knob-end.
    The country has suffered so much tragedy in the last month and is still having more sh*t.

And all you do is to reply to say "you dont know the meaning of the phrase" :rolleyes:
    on the contrary, I've said quite a lot about the situation in japan. None of it has to do with them tearing themselves apart though. thats actually the exact opposite of what the Japanese are doing. They are remaining calm, remaining professional, they are organized. They aren't panicking, they aren't rioting, they aren't looting, so yeah, I don't think you know what you're talking about when you say they are tearing themselves apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

Inside the evacuation zone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Interview on Late Late show there with Adi Roche and two other women and one of them mentioned that Chernobyl was leaking radiation again. Two billion is needed to rebuild the concrete sarcophagus around the reactor and they only have one billion.:rolleyes:

Maybe they should call it the "Reactor Bank", there would be lots of money for it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Interview on Late Late show there with Adi Roche and two other women and one of them mentioned that Chernobyl was leaking radiation again. Two billion is needed to rebuild the concrete sarcophagus around the reactor and they only have one billion.:rolleyes:

Maybe they should call it the "Reactor Bank", there would be lots of money for it then.

the deficit is €550 million, out of a budget of €870 million

preparation work has begun anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its hard to knopw if these additional quakes are a good thing or not - they might be releasing pressure in a largely non fatal way that means a really big second quake doesn't happen or it could trigger a really big second quake further down the fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Japan to expand evacuation zone around stricken nuclear plant.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/11/japan-zone-idUSTKE00634720110411

Still only half the us's recommended evac area,How long until it matches it I wonder.

Just seen on Sky there that the power has been switched off in the plant after the latest aftershock,A month in and they still can't catch a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Still only half the us's recommended evac area,How long until it matches it I wonder.

Probably never. Different countries, different permissible legal limits of radiation exposure per person.

They couldn't afford to

It would involve evacuating several large towns and some cities possibly millions, just think of the logistics in organizing temporary and possible even permanent resettlement.

Resettlement is already becoming a headache for the authorities with some even being moved to hotels in Tokyo.

This thread has run slow, yet the situation in Fukushima Daiichi is now worse than ever.

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/04/84721.html
    Haruki Madarame, chairman of the commission, which is a government panel, said it has estimated that the release of 10,000 terabecquerels of radioactive materials per hour continued for several hours.

The commission says the release has since come down to under 1 terabecquerel per hour and said that it is still examining the total amount of radioactive materials released.

As the media are fecking useless at reporting these extremely worrying levels of radiation, I would advise you all to subscribe or follow many of the independent citizen reports on YouTube and Twitter

I've been follwoing this guy for the past few days, and he has been doing a sterling job analysing the data coming out of TEPCO and Japan's media.

http://www.youtube.com/user/leakspinner

You will find several other decent resources in the related videos.

Please post here the people you're following.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

danniemcq wrote: »
    Jesus another 7.1 hits the north of Japan

I just woke up this morning and opened my browser and a tab with the Aizu Train station webcam, which I have been watching for the past 2 years or so. I wasnt really paying attention to it, but I heard something that sounded like rain. Had a gawk and saw the quake shaking the whole station and people evacuating, less than 20 seconds later it was on the news.
    I know its nothing special but it was kind of bizarre to have seen the quake live and it got me all excited. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

This is it. Japan has just raised the Nuclear Event Scale to to level 7 - on par with the Chernobyl disaster. (Long over-fuking-due)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Jesus Christ. Not a single person has died directly due to radiation though, so how can they rise the incident to such a level?

andrew wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. Not a single person has died directly due to radiation though, so how can they rise the incident to such a level?

Did you read my post?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71647709&postcount=4603

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

A level 7 accident is "Major release of radio*active *material with widespread health and environmental effects r*equiring implementation of planned and extended *countermeasures."

The health and environmental effects from Fukushima seem so far to be negligible; at worst, they havn't been harmful to human health at any location outside the plant. In contrast, Chernobyl killed people in Pripyat who were watching the accident from a nearby bridge, and arguably has killed many more in a wider area too.

"10,000 terabecquerels of radioactive materials per hour continued for several hours"

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whahey!

Are we at much risk from Radiation here in Ireland?
    There were small traces of radiation found in Irish air a few weeks ago, surely if its been raised to a level 7 over there there must be somewhat of an increase in radiation levels here no?
    It just seems to have gone all quiet about the radiation levels in Europe and all..!

andrew wrote: »
    A level 7 accident is "Major release of radio*active *material with widespread health and environmental effects r*equiring implementation of planned and extended *countermeasures."

The health and environmental effects from Fukushima seem so far to be negligible; at worst, they havn't been harmful to human health at any location outside the plant. In contrast, Chernobyl killed people in Pripyat who were watching the accident from a nearby bridge, and arguably has killed many more in a wider area too.
    The consequences may be far more damaging than that of Chernobyl's level 7.

Fukushima is relatively close to a one of the largest metropolis in the globe. Japan cannot afford to have several hundred square kilometers turned into a nuclear wasteland.

"10,000 terabecquerels of radioactive materials per hour continued for several hours"

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

I agree; my intuitive grasp of what it means to have 10,000 tBeq released into the environment is limited; if you have more information about this it'd be appreciated. However, it remains the case that radiation levels around the plant (as measured in Sieverts at least) have remained at safe levels, and no one has died from radiation, or come close to dying; so why the sudden increase in threat level?
    Whahey! wrote: »
    Are we at much risk from Radiation here in Ireland?

No

The consequences may be far more damaging than that of Chernobyl's level 7.

Fukushima is relatively close to a one of the largest metropolis in the globe. Japan cannot afford to have several hundred square kilometers turned into a nuclear wasteland.

There's nothing to indicate that this will be the case. Especially if the contamination is mainly water based and just (well, 'just') ends up in the ocean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

French Research Body On Radioactivity Says Risks No Longer Negligible, Warns Pregant Women And Infants To Stay Away From ‘Risky Behavior’

Meanwhile, a French Research Body On Radioactivity has broken stride with the corporate controlled media/experts and released a stern warning.
    “The risks associated with iodine-131 contamination in Europe are no longer “negligible,” according to CRIIRAD, a French research body on radioactivity. The NGO is advising pregnant women and infants against “risky behaviour,” such as consuming fresh milk or vegetables with large leaves,” reported euractiv.com.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

"Nuclear reactor reduced to ruined wreck-risks are neglible."
    Bit of a contradiction in terms really lads, eh?
    I doubt we will hear the half of it, at least not in the next 20 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement