Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I wonder how long it will take the people who frequent the conspiracy theory forum to milk this tragedy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I know Sky keep showing it but that footage of the wall of water hurtling across the ocean towards land is one seriously chilling sight. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Topper Harley01

Smcgie wrote: »
    Remember the last time the animals all went funny and predicted it.. Any of this going on?

There was speculation in the Daily Mail* last week that the moon would be at its closest to the Earth in years, and this might have an effect on natural disasters. Certainly food for thought after today...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1365225/Japan-earthquake-tsunami-Was-today-s-natural-disaster-caused-supermoon.html

*Yes I know it's the Daily Mail, don't bother with the condescending remarks please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

bohsboy wrote: »
    Can somebody get that clown off the beach...wandering up and down....

Hope it Brian Cowen on his holidays after all his hard work here. Although if a tsunami was to hit cowen, cowen would still be left behind afterwards alive and kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The amount of ads on CNN is frightening - in the middle of a disaster like?:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

fontanalis wrote: »
    I wonder how long it will take the people who frequent the conspiracy theory forum to milk this tragedy?

Jim Corr is on route to Scandanavia to investigate those Tectonic Weapons the US used to cause the Earthquake in Haiti!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

dammit bloody cnn feed not buffering properly,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/category.asp?C=176904&nav=menu55_1_1

Give it a min or two to load up but it's a good stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Hope it Brian Cowen on his holidays after all his hard work here. Although if a tsunami was to hit cowen, cowen would still be left behind afterwards alive and kicking.
    Yeah, he would just stand there watching the tsunami going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Profit before people as usual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,023 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

digme wrote: »
    jesus you sound like you're all 5 years old, they said it already 2 feet high at the most.....................
    The waves get higher as they reach shore. The tsunami/shockwave travels on a long wavelength at high speeds across the ocean but when it hits shore it's speed is drastically shot down and it's frequency increases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Propagation_du_tsunami_en_profondeur_variable.gif
    SeaFields wrote: »
    Thats what happened in the last big tsunami. The sea all but disappeared before coming back in a wall of water.

It's a basic water mechanic: the water for the Swell has to come from somewhere. The fast water moving in has to be replaced. I lack a good diagram for this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

We're lucky as hell to live in Ireland. We dont get natural disasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    The amount of ads on CNN is frightening - in the middle of a disaster like?:eek::eek::eek:
    Money money. The news networks love this kind of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

pragmatic1 wrote: »

No we just make them ourselves ... Anglo .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

We don't need Earthquakes and Tsunamis to f*ck our country up though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1755_Lisbon_earthquake

Caused Tsunami effects and damage on Irish coastal areas

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

We get economical ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Eugh, 'Dead Souls' by Joy Division just came up on my Last.fm (random playlist) as the CNN woman started talking about the death tolls.. Eerie..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

MrStuffins wrote: »
    We don't need Earthquakes and Tsunamis to f*ck our country up though!

Yeah cause our recession is comparable to this!

Get a bit of fucking perspective!

p.s. Japan went through one of the most famous property crashes in economic history too.

Guy on CNN says 6 foot wave will hit west coast of America within "two hours"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,023 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

fontanalis wrote: »
    >_>

http://www.reformation.org/nuclear-tsunamis.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Mister men wrote: »
    Guy on CNN says 6 foot wave will hit west coast of America within "two hours"

He was annoying as fcuk wasn't he. Jumping around all excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I don't think it's a wave like you normally see on the beach, apparently, it's more like the entire sea level raises for a minute or two.

A 2 meter wave would break on the beach, raising the water level by 2 meters for a minute or two causes a lot more damage.

SeaFields wrote: »
    He was annoying as fcuk wasn't he. Jumping around all excited.
    Nearly wet himself alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

There was speculation in the Daily Mail* last week that the moon would be at its closest to the Earth in years, and this might have an effect on natural disasters. Certainly food for thought after today...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1365225/Japan-earthquake-tsunami-Was-today-s-natural-disaster-caused-supermoon.html

*Yes I know it's the Daily Mail, don't bother with the condescending remarks please.

From that article:
    "Astrologers predicted that on March 19 - a week tomorrow - the so-called 'supermoon' will be closer to Earth than at any time since 1992, just 221,567 miles away, and that its gravitational pull will bring chaos to Earth."

Unless that's a typo I think we can safely say the article is bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Very plausible. Moon's pull isn't confined to sea water.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_tide (last section)
    It is a matter of conjecture at present but there is some correlation between terrestrial tides and earthquake activity. [6]

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The Hawaii news now feed is optimistic that they might have dodged a bullet at Hawaii.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

oeb wrote: »
    I don't think it's a wave like you normally see on the beach, apparently, it's more like the entire sea level raises for a minute or two.

A 2 meter wave would break on the beach, raising the water level by 2 meters for a minute or two causes a lot more damage.

Yes, refering to it as a "wave" in the sense that we typically know waves at the sea is inaccurate. Its more like a wall of water or a surge of water across the land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

mixednuts wrote: »
    No we just make them ourselves ... Anglo .

+1 to that

• Advertisement

It really annoys me when Sky News say "Japan Tsunami - Continuous Coverage" - right before cutting to an add. Continuous, until we have to make our sponsors a lot of money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement