Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

CNN TV is gone sh1te again, showing the same footage over and over

• Registered Users Posts: 83,023 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Important point of note about the range of this Tsunami: it's to be expected. This one from 2009 traveled extremely far. It was an 8.1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Samoa_earthquake

If you look a little down the page there is a shockwave animation that is fairly interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Definitely the effect of the moon. Sure it's not as if earthquakes ever happen around the Pacific ring of Fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

gman2k wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1755_Lisbon_earthquake

Caused Tsunami effects and damage on Irish coastal areas
    That was 260 odd years ago. Stretching it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Konata wrote: »
    I had read that a massive earthquake was due in Japan, that meterologists have been waiting for it for the last few years. Apparently these things are cyclic.(

News reports that I have seen this afternoon suggest this is NOT 'theee' massive one they've been waiting for. There's a bigger, even more damaging one due on the Nankai Trough further south west than where the epicenter of today's quake is located.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    We're lucky as hell to live in Ireland. We dont get natural disasters.

We do. We have geological evidence of being completely destroyed by 30m tSunamis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

There was a bit of worrying in my house this morning as my brother is in the very south of South Korea, but from what I hear he's alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭nicegirl

Wibbs wrote: »
    Terrible images coming from Japan. As has been said before the Japanese will recover and fast too. One of the most resilient cultures on earth. Very very sad. The loss of life is going to be pretty huge I imagine. I hope that nuclear plant gets made safe and soon.

It's not another Portugal earthquake that would be the problem(except to Portugal. The last one flattened Lisbon). You're referring to one half of one of the Canary islands that will sooner or later slump into the atlantic, causing an unreal wave. Up to 100 metres.

I saw a documentary on this a few years ago, and this is due to happen within this century. Half of one of the canary islands will fall into the sea, cause a massive tsunami that will have a devestating effect on the east coast of America, from Boston all the way down to Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

which was in response to

Originally Posted by pragmatic1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Mere blink of the eye, in geological terms

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

nicegirl wrote: »
    I saw a documentary on this a few years ago, and this is due to happen within this century. Half of one of the canary islands will fall into the sea, cause a massive tsunami that will have a devestating effect on the east coast of America, from Boston all the way down to Florida.

Gran Canaria will split apart

gman2k wrote: »

Time-scale is a little longer, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

bleg wrote: »
    Definitely the effect of the moon. Sure it's not as if earthquakes ever happen around the Pacific ring of Fire.

You've missed the point. Nobody said the gravitational effect of the Moon is the cause. It just gives an extra nudge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Any news on how big the waves that hit hawaii are??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

It's said to be one of the biggest tsunami's ever recorded. What was the number on the Richter Scale?

tricky D wrote: »
    . It just gives an extra nudge.

And that's all that may be needed.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    News reports that I have seen this afternoon suggest this is NOT 'theee' massive one they've been waiting for. There's a bigger, even more damaging one due on the Nankai Trough further south west than where the epicenter of today's quake is located.
    Not any more there isn't.

Earthquake mechanics basically are that the longer you go without one the bigger the potential energy is when it finally happens. Think of Anti-Lock Brakes in your car, and a bunch of smaller actions vs. one big action. Earth's plates are always moving and in cases where those plates get stuck on eachother it's a good thing if they more frequently nudge/slide across eachother, each time they break loose it's essentially a quake. If plates go a very long time trying to slide against eachother, at some point they will come loose and *snap* almost elastically toward the positions they would be in if there was no friction between those plates. No-longer lining up perfectly of course, a fault-line forms between them - like Nankai.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fault_%28geology%29

They will definitely have to re-assess whether a "big one" is still on the table. This may have been it. The record magnitude for an earthquake is 9.5: this was 8.9

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The CNN coverage of Hawaii isn't great, anyone got a better stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

I wonder what M.Ring thinks of this moon theory,I believe his weather forecast's are very accurate & he uses the Moon etc..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

StereoLove wrote: »
    It's said to be one of the biggest tsunami's ever recorded. What was the number on the Richter Scale?

• Advertisement

StereoLove wrote: »
    Recent earthquakes

Time
    Magnitude
    Location 7 hours ago
    Off the east coast of Honshu, Japan
    Map 8 hours ago
    Near the east coast of Honshu, Japan
    Map 8 hours ago
    Mapearthquake.usgs.gov

http://www.google.com/search?q=earthwquake&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=y53&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&source=hp&q=earthquake&aq=f&aqi=g-z2g1g-z1g1&aql=f&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=4cea5cfbaf698700

The record is 9.5, 1960 Chile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Overheal wrote: »

They will definitely have to re-assess whether a "big one" is still on the table. This may have been it. The record magnitude for an earthquake is 9.5: this was 8.9

Hopefully, for Japan's short term future this does relieve some of the stress. We probably won't know that for a few weeks. Iirc, the Haiti quake actually added to already building up stress rather than relieve it.:(

Jesus Christ. The NHK newscaster on at the moment is seriously struggling with all of this - it's incredible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

tricky D wrote: »
    Very plausible. Moon's pull isn't confined to sea water.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_tide (last section)

You know what conjecture is?

Look at the citation for that line says it all.
    6.^ Personal theory of Philip Argy

On another topic I hope it is a conincidence that amazon sent me a reccomendation for this book this morning @8.40 am (I have a book or two by this author already).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0801896924/ref=pe_3421_24104551_snp_dp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

nicegirl wrote: »

Tidal Wave Threat "Over Hyped"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

The CNN coverage of Hawaii isn't great, anyone got a better stream?

Sky News?
    Overheal wrote: »
    Recent earthquakes

Time
    Magnitude
    Location 7 hours ago
    Off the east coast of Honshu, Japan
    Map 8 hours ago
    Map 8 hours ago
    Mapearthquake.usgs.gov

http://www.google.com/search?q=earthwquake&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=y53&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&source=hp&q=earthquake&aq=f&aqi=g-z2g1g-z1g1&aql=f&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=4cea5cfbaf698700

The record is 9.5, 1960 Chile

Thank you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

drdeadlift wrote: »
    Any news on how big the waves that hit hawaii are??

Two waves. Six feet each roughly. No damage reported last I heard. They don't expect a lot to happen. Though there may be some odd refracted waves in among the islands or in certain bays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

6ft waves recorded en route to Northern Hawaii on CNN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

RTE News: 1351 Japanese police: Up to 300 bodies have been found floating in the water off the coast of the northestern city of Sendai.

Events like this make me feel really lucky I live in Ireland, and put my extremely minor problems in perspective for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement