Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

How come thier were no Planes at the airport that was hit?
    Did they all take flight after initial quake for fear of a tsunami?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,023 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

how do you know there werent any planes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

67 aftershocks with a 5.0 magnitude or above in Japan since the quake

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php

The above link shows all earthquakes recorded in the past 7 days.

There has been around 14 in the Hawaii region today so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

There is a thread on this in the aviation forum, looks like they got the lot out of there fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Overheal wrote: »

There were a few ga aircraft i seen from the videos,there were no passenger aircraft on the gates from what i could see.,if they managed to get the planes in the air within 30 mins fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Hawaii a non event then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

1443: Back to Japan now: The official Kyodo news agency is reporting that about 88,000 people are missing.

BBC twitter feed http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

Also showing pictures of huge areas on fire including a fire at a nuclear power plant.

Terriable stuff lets hope the missing figure giving by kyodo dont turn into deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Hawaii a non event then?

Why would you say that, do you want to see more deaths and destruction, please God it wont happen anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Some footage on the BBC just showed a northern section of the country - night time footage from the air, and it looked like everywhere was on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

There is a thread on this in the aviation forum, looks like they got the lot out of there fast.
    ]

Your username couldn't be more suitable for a time like this..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Hawaii a non event then?

It's currently being impacted right now and will be for the next few hours. It should be reasonably ok though they had 9 hours to prepare and barring an unfortunate amplification of the wave the damage shouldn't be too major. There's still gonna be damage though and possibly casualties. Bear in mind though Hawaii is well prepared for this sort of stuff other pacific islands aren't and some of these are dangerously low lying.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Why would you say that, do you want to see more deaths and destruction, please God it wont happen anywhere else

I was asking if it was likely to happen or not. Was supposed to hit almost two hours ago so at this stage it would appear to be a non-event.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,023 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

drdeadlift wrote: »
    There were a few ga aircraft i seen from the videos,there were no passenger aircraft on the gates from what i could see.,if they managed to get the planes in the air within 30 mins fair play.
    May have been an emergency procedure. Interesting question though I'd like to look into that when I have more time.

Overheal wrote: »

From the video footage. Showed the airport under a couple of feet of water... Hardly enough to wash a plane away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

From the video footage. Showed the airport under a couple of feet of water... Hardly enough to wash a plane away.

Pic of airport.....

http://twitpic.com/48gy7u

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

That was'nt a couple of feet of water. The wave i seen was at least 3-4 metres high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

This is horrific. I cant imagine what its like to be in Japan. There are fires everywhere, if there are not fires there is flooding, there are thousands of people dead and then there is the added threat of the nuclear plants. Its unimaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

I saw a photo from BBC website and saw some small planes in the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's not the size of the water that makes it so lethal, it's its speed and mass. Put simply these waves are powerful enough to dislodge jets from a runway so odds are when the tsunami struck any planes that were exposed to it were washed away from the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Malty_T wrote: »
    It's not the size of the water that makes it so lethal, it's its speed and mass. Put simply these waves are powerful enough to dislodge jets from a runway so odds are when the tsunami struck any planes that were exposed to it were washed away from the airport.

Also the fact that the wave itself is probably carrying tons of debris, its like a solid brick wall moving at speed.

• Advertisement

Mister men wrote: »
    That was'nt a couple of feet of water. The wave i seen was at least 3-4 metres

Well shurly enough to wash a car away so why do service vehicles remain dotted around the airport and no planes??

Japanese leader says no radioactive waste released "as of yet". He did'nt seem that confident tbh. I hope it stays that way. God knows what sun up in Japan is going to bring.

Crazy stuff

Thrill wrote: »
    Pic of airport.....

http://twitpic.com/48gy7u

That's a much larger airport than one I saw a report on thismorning.
    I'd imagine planes didn't stand a chance there:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

You can see some more photos of the airport here and you can see some small planes http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709791

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Am working in central Tokyo - was hell of a ride in the office building. We are advised to stay inside until the shaking subsides. Well, that is a hell of an experience I can tell you. Have been through a few quakes but this was hard.

Northern Japan got destroyed by earthquake & tsunami, distressing to see the coverage. I believe Hawaii and American west coast are in danger in next few hours so this disaster may not be over yet.

Many aftershocks, many people and cars clogging the streets of the city as the expressways & trainline are shut. As I type this the building shakes agin - strong this time,, agh ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Why is everything on fire? What's causing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

ollie1 wrote: »
    You can see some more photos of the airport here and you can see some small planes http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709791

Wow those photos really are unbelievable, http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/03/11/article-0-0D924D9F000005DC-785_964x591.jpg , this one really looks scary.

I really hope there is no more damage done, the nuclear danger really is a scary thought too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Why is everything on fire? What's causing it?
    Erm.... the earthquake?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

What a time for my shockwave flash yoke to crash - no matter how many times I re-install it, it dies as soon as I open a stream :(

Been away for a few hours, arriving back now to worse and worse news. Poor Japan :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement