Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Why is everything on fire? What's causing it?
    I would guess because a lot of the buildings in Japan are made out of timber, helping a fire to spread from building to building easily.

The shot looked like something out WWII.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

generally gas leaks from ruptured pipes, but Japan also has an advanced system where mains are cutoff when vibrations are detected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

marco_polo wrote: »
    You know what conjecture is?

Look at the citation for that line says it all.

Yes, it's unproven but not disproven.

Here's some more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthquake_prediction#Tidal_forces which suggests tidal stresses have a very minor contribution in some cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Mister men wrote: »
    Japanese leader says no radioactive waste released "as of yet". He did'nt seem that confident tbh. I hope it stays that way. God knows what sun up in Japan is going to bring.

He's not going to look confident about anything tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Damaged gas pipes I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Konata wrote: »
    What a time for my shockwave flash yoke to crash :(

bad choice of words :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Reports of a ship carrying 100 people swept away according to SN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Adamantium wrote: »
    bad choice of words :eek:

Not my fault it's called Shockwave Flash and it's crashing :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭mmmmmmm.......

anyones CNN stream go?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Pics from the Avaition thread of the Airport posted by CaptainSkidmark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

anyones CNN stream go?

Mine is gone off-line too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

For the land of the rising sun,it's been an unreal day in many ways & if what I seen a few pages earlier and on the 19th of this month when the Moon comes so close to the Earth we could really expect big natural disaster.

A question do for anyone in the know,What plate are we (Ireland/Western Europe) on?,& would it be possible for us to be hit by such a disaster by either an Earthquake or aftershocks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

The Department's Crisis Centre opened at 09.00 this morning and is available to offer assistance and advice to families in Ireland who may have concerns about relatives in Japan. The telephone number is (01) 4180233.

Tsunami warnings have been issued by the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, which can be found on the following link: http://www.weather.gov/ptwc/.
    The Department of Foreign Affairs They have no reports of Irish casualties as of now.
    A terrible series of events that will take days to fully appreciate the true magnitude of.

RIP to the people lost today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

A question do for anyone in the know,What plate are we (Ireland/Western Europe) on?,& would it be possible for us to be hit by such a disaster by either an Earthquake or aftershocks.

extremely unlikely, we are on the euraisn plate and no where near the edge of it. it is also moving away from the american one so little stress on the side of it.

Iceland sees the worst of what the plates do and thats pretty reserved in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

It's worrying that there is no good news about the nuclear reactor yet. Hope they managed to get it sorted.

star gazer wrote: »
    The Department of Foreign Affairs They have no reports of Irish casualties as of now.
    A terrible series of events that will take days to fully appreciate the true magnitude of.

RIP to the people lost today.

On a day like today its when we really start to appreciate Volunteers and those who assist in helping the injured in such disaster areas and for those who risk their lives.

Great to hear our allies in England & the U.S.A are indeed offering their assistance to Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but what's the best live stream to watch at the minute? Link please? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Dam breaks in Japan's Fukushima prefecture, washes away homes--Reuters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

skyscrapers swaying during the earthquake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Thrill wrote: »
    Dam breaks in Japan's Fukushima prefecture, washes away homes--Reuters

Shite. Was wondering what Japan was like for dams. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

amacachi wrote: »
    Shite. Was wondering what Japan was like for dams. :(

yes thank god,Nuclear Plant now under control!,Water has been pumped in!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Nuclear Plant now under control!,Water has been pumped in!

major bullet dodged there. Hopefully all the nuclear plants will pose no further threats now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Konata wrote: »
    I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but what's the best live stream to watch at the minute? Link please? Thanks :)

I've been watching BBC all day - no breaks or ads - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598

This is the dam that just broke according to the media

800px-Asahi-r1.jpg

major bullet dodged there. Hopefully all the nuclear plants will pose no further threats now.

Finger crossed,very lucky that they controlled it.

Nuclear scientist stated earlier that if the problem got out of hand it would turn in to a 3 mile Island job,it would be cornered of for 10 years before a clean up could take place.

So good to see its been sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Today has shown that we are all guests on this planet

yes thank god,Nuclear Plant now under control!,Water has been pumped in!
    That is truely wonderful news. God knows what the damage would have been if they had'nt got the thing sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Today has shown that we are all guests on this planet

And very much at its mercy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

BBC coverage is a thousand times better than Sky,F'n Sky just had a landlord of a British pub talking about his poor champagne glasses that have broke.
    Wonder will Dolphin and Whale get the blame again?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement