Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Mister men wrote: »
    This is the dam that just broke according to the media

800px-Asahi-r1.jpg

That would be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

That graphic on Sky, is it from the fires? Cos it looks very like a nuclear explosion, but they couldn't be that insensitive, could they ??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

On a day like today its when we really start to appreciate Volunteers and those who assist in helping the injured in such disaster areas and for those who risk their lives.

Great to hear our allies in England & the U.S.A are indeed offering their assistance to Japan.
    Yeah, everyone from ordinary neighbours to trained volunteers to the most skilled professionals will be needed to pull together to try to prevent as much loss in this catastrophe as possible. Hopefully the international response will be prompt and effective as even though Japan is a very advanced country it looks like the level of devastation is huge.
    Sounds like there are serious problems with transport and communications at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Luxie wrote: »
    And very much at its mercy.
    Ppppft ill take it on.Not so tough now ground are ya
    *punches ground*
    .......ow.....you win this round >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Konata wrote: »
    I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but what's the best live stream to watch at the minute? Link please? Thanks :)

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

BBC coverage is a thousand times better than Sky,F'n Sky just had a landlord of a British pub talking about his poor champagne glasses that have broke.
    Wonder will Dolphin and Whale get the blame again?

Im not a Sky basher. Really, im ashamed that i actually like their way of doing things :pac: but they are getting it very wrong today. Its very poor coverage. The BBC are always going to be the best though. I used to scoff at the British patting themselves on the back about how great the BBC is but in all truth they truly are the best in the business by a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Looking at some footage now. A whole building made of concrete, must be 4-5 stories high was just rushing down a street at an incredible pace.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Erm.... the earthquake?

Thanks for that highly helpful answer :rolleyes:

Yakult wrote: »
    Reports of a ship carrying 100 people swept away according to SN.

Also a train missing. Was a passenger train on a coastal line north of Sendai when the tsunami hit, looks like it was washed away. No confirmation yet of how many were on it. The final death toll will be a lot higher than 300 anyway that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Pauleta wrote: »
    Im not a Sky basher. Really, im ashamed that i actually like their way of doing things :pac: but they are getting it very wrong today. Its very poor coverage. The BBC are always going to be the best though. I used to scoff at the British patting themselves on the back about how great the BBC is but in all truth they truly are the best in the business by a mile.

I thought the ad they put together earlier when it had just started really getting serious was quite tasteless. Images of the waves sweeping in and washing cars away with omnious music in the background.

• Advertisement

256021899.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1299860687&Signature=MXkrVBLFsbafYRNSaSr4vH0CUEk%3D

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

star gazer wrote: »
    Yeah, everyone from ordinary neighbours to trained volunteers to the most skilled professionals will be needed to pull together to try to prevent as much loss in this catastrophe as possible. Hopefully the international response will be prompt and effective as even though Japan is a very advanced country it looks like the level of devastation is huge.
    Sounds like there are serious problems with transport and communications at this point.

Communications are meant to be perfect believe it or not!,this morning they had two or three on the radio with PK from Japan on the line and it was perfect and other reports say likewise!,so that is good!

Infrastructure will have been hit hard like roads etc...

I seen earlier someone had posted here that their were 88,000 missing!,but its early yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

baalthor wrote: »
    That graphic on Sky, is it from the fires? Cos it looks very like a nuclear explosion, but they couldn't be that insensitive, could they ??

One of the fuel storage domes went up in one go earlier, it looked like a small
    nuclear explosion as the fireball rose slowly into the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Thrill wrote: »
    skyscrapers swaying during the earthquake

Thankfully that is how the sky scrapers are actually designed, if they were not able to sway like that the would just break in half during an earthquake. Pretty scary to watch them swaying like that none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

256021899.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1299860687&Signature=MXkrVBLFsbafYRNSaSr4vH0CUEk%3D

Wow. That picture really gets me. That's awful - and I'm sure there were people travelling on that road when the earthquake hit.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

I dont think that is from this earthquake - its a photo i have seen before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wow. That picture really gets me. That's awful - and I'm sure there were people travelling on that road when the earthquake hit.

RIP.

Thats Kobe 1995

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Is that not an old pic from KOBE 1994?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

1600: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says the US Air Force in Japan has transported coolant to the plant. Officials say the facility should be back to normal soon....BBC.

mike65 wrote: »
    Thats Kobe 1994

Ah. Thanks, presumed it was from today.

• Advertisement

novarock wrote: »
    I dont think that is from this earthquake - its a photo i have seen before.
    Posted above by Thrill.
    Actually looking at the picture now the cars look pretty old. Hope it's an old pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

RIP.
    I'm sure there where some unlucky people but I've heard Japan in an attempt to revitalise their economy did a load of infrastructure work like building roads, and that many can be empty most of the time. Hopefully that was one of those roads. The less traffic on it the better for rescuers.

BBC stream down?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

mike65 wrote: »
    Thats Kobe 1994 (the trees are a clue its not March!)

Someone must have sent it to the news claiming they took it probably. Thats a pretty scummy thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

RIP.

The early Sky News footage earlier was horrible. When I turned it on it looked like it was computer generated - the massive wave just sweeping across fields and washing houses away. Then it approached a road and you could see the traffic. They cut it off just as you saw vans and cars getting swept away by it. Hasn't been shown since and understandably so, it was horrific viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Thrill wrote: »
    Someone must have sent it to the news claiming they took it probably. Thats a pretty scummy thing to do.

'the news' should have known better. Look at the picture does it look like it was taken this decade?

Any word on when waves due to hit the US coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

BBC stream down?

Back up now.

News 24 went on to talk about Libya so they're re-showing recorded stuff at them moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Which bbc news are you s all watching bbc world news???

DarkJager wrote: »
    The early Sky News footage earlier was horrible. When I turned it on it looked like it was computer generated - the massive wave just sweeping across fields and washing houses away. Then it approached a road and you could see the traffic. They cut it off just as you saw vans and cars getting swept away by it. Hasn't been shown since and understandably so, it was horrific viewing.
    Yeah they have edited a lot of their stuff rightfully so. A lot of the earlier reports where hard to watch. Ones of people running across fields trying to outrun the wave and then it caught them up, shot from a helicopter.:( Was surprised they showed it at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

the moon is acting up now :eek:

On March 19, the moon will swing around Earth more closely than it has in the past 18 years, lighting up the night sky from just 221,567 miles (356,577 kilometers) away. On top of that, it will be full. And one astrologer believes it could inflict massive damage on the planet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement