Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

No need to take it out of context I was talking about humanity in general,let's keep thread on topic eh?,you can discuss your problems in the atheist/or conspiracy threads if you so wish.

Don't condescend me with your defensive insecure rot, smiley faces and jokes aren't at home in a thread about a massive natural disaster. I could give two strings of piss about your beliefs, 'smiley face' gods kicking their ass!!! isn't appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I hope the nuclear engineers can get control of the runaway plant, meltdown seems in progress.

Previous thanks seems to have been premature.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭aidan18

It's becoming a doomsday scenario if there are issues at the nuclear plant
    and they cannot be resolved I hope they can contain

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

ricero wrote: »
    of course its a natural disaster but to have so many in such a short period of time its ****ed up big time
    On a global scale I wouldn't think so. These things happen all the time and are nothing compared to what's already happened in the past. It's just we hear about them all now instantly and much larger human populations mean it affects more and more people on a more regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

What would be the ramifications of a nuclear meltdown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The nuclear core was under control last I read being cooled by pumping water in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

LambsEye wrote: »

it would be a no go area basically another Chernobyl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Okay,Thanks Lads/also why so much hate towards God from the "usual culprits" God's the main Man!

Maybe he's just showing humanity how easily he can kick its ass when it steps out of order?:D

I'd prefer a brning bush over dead people any day. But if that's you idea of humanity I'd suggest a different god.

Ugh. Man....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Its not a coincidence that there's so many in such a short amount of time, major earthquakes can lead to further earthquakes down the line as the plates shift.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

First it goes on fire and incinerates the inner containment area. Nuclear fire and reactions then spill out in the dome, here it may stay and be contained.

If the dome gets too hot it may crack and release radioactive material, it may collapse and release a lot of material.

Right now the scenario suggests containment in the dome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Don't condescend me with your defensive insecure rot, smiley faces and jokes aren't at home in a thread about a massive natural disaster. I could give two strings of piss about your beliefs, 'smiley face' gods kicking their ass!!! isn't appropriate.
    oh my :rolleyes:

You seem to love the word "appropriate",I now what is appropriate and what's not,I did not mean to offend or question the level of damage caused in today's disaster,lighten up.

Only reason this discussion came about was because another one pulled me up on saying "Thank God" the nuclear plant was under control,it was a figure of speech

moving on..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Anybody else just see the Barbados advert on Sky News?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

ScumLord wrote: »
    On a global scale I wouldn't think so. These things happen all the time and are nothing compared to what's already happened in the past. It's just we hear about them all now instantly and much larger human populations mean it affects more and more people on a more regular basis.

exactly just heard there that earthquakes the size of the christchurch one happen tens if not hundreds of times a year they just dont hit population centers that much, this one is more powerful then christchurch by a massive amount but it just happens to have hit a population center and so we notice it

Chernobyl happened because old technology and totally under trained staff allowed a meltdown to happen, this is the 21st century in Japan, I very much doubt there will be a meltdown.
    It is sensationalism, the core has many failsafes, they are dealing with it right now, if it becomes a real issues I will eat my hat.
    But, the media will spin meltdown, radiation, chernobyl and so on as ways to get us to watch their 24 hour coverage.
    Its not the same situation as chernobyl at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

just looking at the pictures on the daily mail site, really reminds me how fragile life is and that we dont know whats going to happen from one hour to the next
    R.I.P to all you died

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

depend entirely on the scale
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_meltdown

will not be as bad as Chernobyl as the technology and shielding is far far superior. Best likely outcome would be one similar to three mile island, where reactor only needs to be shut down and not used. Worse is if shielding breaks up and surrounding air is contaminated...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,029 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not a "Doomsday" scenario like some are describing, but there would be some radioactive pollution. Quite damaging. End of the Planet? Hardly.

just looking at the pictures on the daily mail site, really reminds me how fragile life is and that we dont know whats going to happen from one hour to the next
    R.I.P to all you died

The daily mail is a cancer that takes the worst pictures it can find and spreads them unashamedly to gather hits on their site. These same f*ckin c*nts had an article about the opinions of an astrologer on the event. You'd do well to boycott them and spit at the mention of that paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

1717: A second train has been reported missing following the quake and tsunami in Japan, according to the AFP news agency.

• Advertisement

oh my :rolleyes:

You seem to love the word "appropriate",I now what is appropriate and what's not,I did not mean to offend or question the level of damage caused in today's disaster,lighten up.
    I disagree, I don't think you even have the first inkling of whats appropriate, maybe I should just lighten up on the whole natural disaster thing eh?
    Only reason this discussion came about was because another one pulled me up on saying "Thank God" the nuclear plant was under control,it was a figure of speech
    Which was a fair comment, nothing wrong with it to be honest, a more dignified acknowledgment of their point than a hissy fit would have been appropriate.
    moving on..
    First sensible thing you've said, see ya

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Stercus Accidit, BrenIreland

Another word off topic from either of you will result in a one day ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

any news on the whales and dolphins ? at least there ****ing whaling industry will be destroyed for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 83,029 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I did some looking. The reactor core temperature is coming down, and the chance of a meltdown is unlikely. The only thing is that in cooling it a lot of steam has been generated, some of which is going to have to be released as the pressure builds. Some radioactive steam will potentially have to be released into atmosphere, but this would not be the singal for a meltdown, or that they appointed a new pope.

this explains the situation: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/12/world/asia/12nuclear.html and this blurb http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/11/japan-quake-tepco-pressure-idUSLHE7EB00720110311 confirms, as the first predicts as the process, that the steam pressure is building up, perhaps to a point where auto-release valves will force it out into atmosphere, resulting in some (but not catastrophic) radiation release

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

any news on the whales and dolphins ? at least there ****ing whaling industry will be destroyed for a while

Am pretty sure that's the least of their problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

AFP: Official says half-metre Tsunami wave hits north-west Mexico

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

My cousin and his wife life in Tokyo, both ok but both stranded in their jobs for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Talking to a mate of mine earlier on the US west coast and they are telling me how far the water has gone from the beaches, it's quite freaky and they have started to evacuate the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Wow 5000km north/south of Japan according to BBC is where the next earthquake will hit!,Again I would like to say fair play to Japan and other countries who have acted and are now rescuing those in difficulties,all we can do is pray that their will not be any more big aftershocks that may result in rescue setbacks.

Ironically the Japanese rescue services stepped into NZ last week to help out which they done a great job at and saved many lives

• Advertisement

Talking to a mate of mine earlier on the US west coast and they are telling me how far the water has gone from the beaches, it's quite freaky and they have started to evacuate the area.

I was wondering about this, are they expecting substantial damage? Or have they experienced bad shit already?

Edit: I know I could just watch/read the news, but I turned it off. I'm trying to "work."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement