Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

A link to this video was on the RTÉ website (I don't know if this was posted already but to be honest I'm not going back to check over 800 posts).

Japan has a population of approximately 127 million people squashed into an archipelago who's collective land mass is roughly 1.3 times the size of Great Britain and who cities are amongst the most densely populated in the world. I think it's just incredible that the death toll isn't in the thousands at this stage. It's a real testament to Japan's superior ingenuity and infrastructure.

I'll be buying Japanese cars anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,030 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Jake1 wrote: »
    Authorities to release radioactive vapor at Nuclear Plant.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9LT6T580&show_article=1
    Been expecting that for a while. The core has come down a lot, the amount being released shouldnt add up to a lot. I suppose it's a question of whether they have any more problems running the backup cooling system.

Overheal wrote: »
    Been expecting that for a while. The core has come down a lot, the amount being released shouldnt add up to a lot. I suppose it's a question of whether they have any more problems running the backup cooling system.

They'll try anything I imagine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

I know it is Vapour,But will it be Toxic?

I know it is Vapour,But will it be Toxic?
    It will have radioactive content but reportedly won't have any serious ill effects.

• Advertisement

Lets hope not. ARe they still evacuating around the Plant does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

It will have radioactive content but reportedly won't have any serious ill effects.

okay,that is good,but I guess even if does release some toxins it is better than what would occur if they let it continue to build in the plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Felim Uallachain

This is terrible.My heart goes out to the folks there but I am dead Impressed with how the Japanese are coping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Went to see Norwegian Wood today, reminded me why I love Japan and their art. And then I get back home to find the death count 300 higher than when I left :(

Seriously hope they manage to sort out the nuclear problems - but if I trust anyone to sort out such an engineering problem, I trust the Japanese people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

CNNDaily‎ Japan struggling to cool down nuclear reactor, minister says
    http://w.sns.ly/WYc0y5‎

LINSDURBAN‎ RT @syikin11: RT @sink257: Recent news trickling out of Japan suggests that there's radiation spreading from one of the nuclear reactors.

Situation doesn't look good.

• Advertisement

okay,that is good,but I guess even if does release some toxins it is better than what would occur if they let it continue to build in the plant.
    Exactly. It's already 150% above normal chamber pressure. If they leave it in there it's going to leak somewhere. The only safe way is out the release valve.
    Lets hope not. ARe they still evacuating around the Plant does anyone know?
    Should have been completed by now. They evacuated a 3km radius, and about 3000 people. Weather reports show prevailing wind will take almost all of the steam off-shore.

LINSDURBAN‎ RT @syikin11: RT @sink257: Recent news trickling out of Japan suggests that there's radiation spreading from one of the nuclear reactors.

That smells of old data that someone typed up and published only recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wouldn't be panicking yet.

Don't rely on western media sources, especially not the ones typing out the long-winded articles on developing circumstances.

The plant already issued a press release that core 1 was under control and earlier analyses predicted that when they got the cooling back online it would still take time, and there would still be steam buildup. Thus far, thats exactly what is happening. I expect to see some steam release, the majority or all of which should blow off-shore, and then a whole lot of nothing as the core continues to fall back into the greenzone, having already been shut down and primary cooling switched back online. The USAF has also hurried in a fresh supply of coolant according to SecState Clinton.

Twitter reporting some people swept out to sea in crescent City CA.

http://twitter.com/BREAKINGNEWS

amacachi wrote: »
    Wouldn't be panicking yet.
    I'm not panicking, but I certainly won't relax until there are confirmed reports from outsiders that the situation is resolved.

I'm not panicking, but I certainly won't relax until there are confirmed reports from outsiders that the situation is resolved.
    Plant operators have no reason to lie. This was an act of God, not an experiment (like Chernobyl)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

http://www.news10.net/news/story.aspx?storyid=127779&catid=2
    CRESCENT CITY, CA (AP) - Officials say the tsunami triggered by the massive earthquake in Japan has killed one person, swept three others out to sea and caused severe damage to the harbor in Crescent City, near the Oregon border.

ABC affiliate KDRV confirmed that the waves pulled the four out to sea late Friday morning. Two of the other people were found alive and one is still unaccounted for.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭iii Stevo iii

Thrill wrote: »

I cant understand how people could have been swept away, they knew the tsunami was coming, if you want to see it hit get some high ground.

Plant operators have no reason to lie. This was an act of God, not an experiment (like Chernobyl)
    The Russians lied about Chernobyl for no reason other than they were too proud to seek help. Also, the Tokyo Electric Power Company are publicly run, perhaps they will downplay what is happening to protect the share price - BP did it after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

With the amount of warnings that the tsunami was approaching I can only guess these were idiots who wanted to get a closer look and some cool photo's for facebook and so got too close instead of using their brains and staying the f*ck away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

It must terrifying for people to be taking all the aftershocks with dozens above 5 on the scale and about a dozen above 6 on the Richter scale. usgs
    A lot of people unable to get home from work after the transport system stopped in large parts. The communications overload when this began is hopefully less acute now but the devastating scenes that the Japanese people will be waking up to is going to be very distressing. With the reports of a separate earthquake in Japan I really hope there isn't more of this to come.

The Russians lied about Chernobyl for no reason other than they were too proud to seek help. Also, the Tokyo Electric Power Company are publicly run, perhaps they will downplay what is happening to protect the share price - BP did it after all.
    Possible but unlikely. Theres direct int'l involvement here now (and no cold war). There's also the fact that everything is going textbook without going textbook - that is, obviously they have reported problems but they have gotten the cooling back online, and it's been playing out exactly as analysts have predicted, with them shortly needing to vent off steam to keep the chamber pressure stable.

I'll bet you a tenner now that says they will find no cause for misconduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Reuters reporting 4 trains missing along coastal routes. I imagine we are going to be hearing more and more of these stories. Thoughts are with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I've read it may have a half life of 7 seconds. Hopefully that's correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

IMO, God didn't do **** today. Mother Nature's our real ruler. She gives and takes life when she wants and no amount of prayers could have stopped her today.

I'm pretty sure the Japs don't think it was god either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

With the amount of warnings that the tsunami was approaching I can only guess these were idiots who wanted to get a closer look and some cool photo's for facebook and so got too close instead of using their brains and staying the f*ck away.

what kind of warnings do they have? are there sirens?

maybe some of them really didn't know. it was still relatively early in the morning in california when they hit, wasn't it?

I cant understand how people could have been swept away, they knew the tsunami was coming, if you want to see it hit get some high ground.

Either foolish people who wanted to watch the "spectacle" or emergency service workers trying to protect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Plant operators have no reason to lie.

The Japanese Nuclear Power industry has a bit of a bad name for lies and cover ups, a few years ago the Fukushima station was inspected and over half the pipes in the Number 3 reactor were damaged and corroded, this however was covered up by Tokyo Electric Power and the Japanese government.

I wouldn't take what they say as Gospel just quite yet.

• Advertisement

what kind of warnings do they have? are there sirens?

maybe some of them really didn't know. it was still relatively early in the morning in california when they hit, wasn't it?

The emergency services went from door to door in the regions the water was expected to hit. Hours before the water came in. But helicopter footage from one of the American channels showed crowds gathered in Santa Cruz to watch the "spectacle." I just hope that if there really are dead in California that it isn't emergency services workers trying to help idiots.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement