Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The Russians lied about Chernobyl for no reason other than they were too proud to seek help. Also, the Tokyo Electric Power Company are publicly run, perhaps they will downplay what is happening to protect the share price - BP did it after all.
    I doubt much in the way of lies is going to make a massive difference to the share price. Also, as I've said and Overheal has said:
    Overheal wrote: »
    Possible but unlikely. Theres direct int'l involvement here now (and no cold war). There's also the fact that everything is going textbook without going textbook - that is, obviously they have reported problems but they have gotten the cooling back online, and it's been playing out exactly as analysts have predicted, with them shortly needing to vent off steam to keep the chamber pressure stable.

I'll bet you a tenner now that says they will find no cause for misconduct.
    There'll be several plans in place for this kind of thing. The news talking about a "state of emergency" is somewhat inappropriate in my view, this is the kind of thing that will be drilled and practiced often.
    Reuters reporting 4 trains missing along coastal routes. I imagine we are going to be hearing more and more of these stories. Thoughts are with them.
    Terrible, really awful. Saw one clip of cars getting caught in it, just awful. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

iguana wrote: »
    The emergency services went from door to door in the regions the water was expected to hit. Hours before the water came in. But helicopter footage from one of the American channels showed crowds gathered in Santa Cruz to watch the "spectacle." I just hope that if there really are dead in California that it isn't emergency services workers trying to help idiots.

As cold as it may be to say it I completely agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The Japanese Nuclear Power industry has a bit of a bad name for lies and cover ups, a few years ago the Fukushima station was inspected and over half the pipes in the Number 3 reactor were damaged and corroded, this however was covered up by Tokyo Electric Power and the Japanese government.

I wouldn't take what they say as Gospel just quite yet.
    Yep.

Until I see some Japanese scientist in a lab coat at the the plant, I will be uneasy about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

The emergency services went from door to door in the regions the water was expected to hit. Hours before the water came in. But helicopter footage from one of the American channels showed crowds gathered in Santa Cruz to watch the "spectacle." I just hope that if there really are dead in California that it isn't emergency services workers trying to help idiots.

wow, that is sad. thanks for the information.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

bc dub wrote: »
    IMO, God didn't do **** today.

THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!!!!

*I blame St Anthony personally. He always was a bit of a rouge that fella.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Yep.

Until I see some Japanese scientist in a lab coat at the the plant, I will be uneasy about this.
    Until i see the Japanese PM at the plant not some random scientist i'll be uneasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

And there was emergency broadcasts, in California anyway, there was every effort made to warn people.

It's funny watching Sky News salavating over the whole thing. You can sense the disappointment that there has not been mass destruction in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Just watching NHK at the moment on satellite, it seems they are still telling residents to stay away from coastal areas due to risk of further tsunamis from very strong aftershocks - 6.5 in some shocks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

darkman2 wrote: »
    It's funny watching Sky News salavating over the whole thing. You can sense the disappointment that there has not been mass destruction in other countries.

This is why I tend to watch other news channels, there's something morbid and unsavoury about Sky News.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Agreed. They are gutted the Western seaboard of the states has'nt been destroyed. They would of got weeks worth of news out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

With the amount of warnings that the tsunami was approaching I can only guess these were idiots who wanted to get a closer look and some cool photo's for facebook and so got too close instead of using their brains and staying the f*ck away.

Coast Guard searches for man swept out to sea in Northern Calif. while taking pics of tsunami - AP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!!!!

*I blame St Anthony personally. He always was a bit of a rouge that fella.

Can people please stop trying to point score agains religion, it is quite distastful.:(

Mister men wrote: »
    Agreed. They are gutted the Western seaboard of the states has'nt been destroyed. They would of got weeks worth of news out of that.

Charlie Brooker will have a field day with this;)

It's like they are trying to produce a rolling disaster movie. They actually played the video from a helicopter of some poor guy running for his life from the wall of water obviously about to be killed or something only slightly less worse quite frankly. "We cannot say if the man survived".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Can people please stop trying to point score agains religion, it is quite distastful.:(

Its almost as distasteful as people trying to score points for God any time of massive death and destruction from a natural disaster and one child is pulled from the rubble, all of a sudden its a "Miracle" and "Praise be to God", ignoring all the hundred of dead who weren't saved.

It works both ways you know.

Its almost as distasteful as people trying to score points for God any time of massive death and destruction from a natural disaster and one child is pulled from the rubble, all of a sudden its a "Miracle" and "Praise be to God", ignoring all the hundred of dead who weren't saved.

It dosent work at all, it is simply disrespectful to those who have died.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Reuters: Japan trade ministry says pressure inside reactor may have risen to 2.1 times designed capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

How so? Anyone who survives by the merest struck of good fortune will probably be seen as a divine miracle. People will be thankful to God for surviving but nobody would dare blame Him for the quake in the first place. In all honesty that's just wrong.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Even with Shinto?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Malty_T wrote: »
    How so? Anyone who survives by the merest struck of good fortune will probably be seen as a divine miracle. People will be thankful to God for surviving but nobody would dare blame Him for the quake in the first place. In all honesty that's just wrong.

Just stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

A discussion best left on another thread people :rolleyes:

In all honesty, using other peoples tragedy as an oppertunity to score points against some peoples beliefs is not just wrong, its pathetic.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

What really puts this quake into perspective is the fact that Japan's strongest earthquake before this was in 1923, measuring magnitude 8.3. The Kobe earthquake of 1996 measured 7.2.

Scary comparisons :(

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Please stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Konata wrote: »
    What really puts this quake into perspective is the fact that Japan's strongest earthquake before this was in 1923, measuring magnitude 8.3. The Kobe earthquake of 1996 measured 7.2.

And another aftershock today was measured at 7.9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

How does any of the above matter anyway in Japan. Aren't 85% of Japanese Atheist/Agnostic?

And besides, the 15% of Japanese who are religion are mostly Shinto or Buddhist so it would probably be best to sent some sort blessing that adheres to one of those denomination, not Christianity.

Either way condolences of some form, be it religious or secular, would be called for.

Konata wrote: »

What makes it all the more terrifying is the fact that this one was accompanied by a sudden abrupt tsunami at its peak with little warning time and most of the coasts affected were low lying areas. Earthquakes are one thing, earthquakes coupled with a tsunami are different beats altogether.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

According to rte, US geologists have estimated that the earthquake was actually a magnitude of 9.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Thrill wrote: »
    Coast Guard searches for man swept out to sea in Northern Calif. while taking pics of tsunami - AP

The Darwin awards never had an easier winner than this guy....
    "There's a sunami coming you say, must get a pic for my facebook page..."

• Advertisement

smokingman wrote: »
    The Darwin awards never had an easier winner than this guy....
    "There's a sunami coming you say, must get a pic for my facebook page..."

How someone could be that stupid is beyond me???:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement