Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese earthquake / tsunami discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

How does any of the above matter anyway in Japan. Aren't 85% of Japanese Atheist/Agnostic?

It doesnt matter at all, but since you asked.

wikipedia
    The highest estimates suggest that 84–96 percent of the Japanese population are Buddhists or Shintoists, including a large number of believers in a syncretism of both religions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Shulgin wrote: »

wikipedia

Depends what you define a religion..

:rolleyes:

Yes, let's go start any other thread shall we...
    ... one that delves deeply into this philosophical argument.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

I wonder if this will affect Mt. Fuji? Large quakes quite a distance from the volcano have triggered eruptions before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Malty_T wrote: »
    How someone could be that stupid is beyond me???:confused:

Well, he probably didn't expect it to be so powerful - and basic human nature. A lot of people would be very tempted to go to the beach for a look - especially since it only splashed around Hawaii

Shulgin wrote: »

wikipedia

Again from wikipedia:
    About 70 percent of Japanese profess no religious membership,[7][8] according to Johnstone (1993:323), 84% of the Japanese claim no personal religion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Japan

This is why I don't always use wikipedia as a source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Some amazing videos of the Tsunami on Sky News now. Just shows the amazing power of water. Chilling to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

smokingman wrote: »
    The Darwin awards never had an easier winner than this guy....
    "There's a sunami coming you say, must get a pic for my facebook page..."
    Fairly ridiculous alright...wow. I hope that awful decision hasn't cost him his life.

My friend mentioned something about the earthquake at school this morning but at the time the death toll was being reported as like 5 or something. Shocked when I came home. :eek: Hope all them people are okay - and some of the footage is a testament to Japanese engineering and construction. Skyscrapers swaying severely but not falling, houses without any major structural damage (that was visible in footage anyway), quite amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Again from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Japan

This is why I don't always use wikipedia as a source.

Fair enough, but those :rolleyes::rolleyes: are very annoying :)

Anyways, sorry mods..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Watching video of Tsunami hitting California on CNN and a guy is trying to save his boat like wtf get the feck out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Lirange wrote: »
    I wonder if this will affect Mt. Fuji? Large quakes quite a distance from the volcano have triggered eruptions before.

I hope not, those poor people have enough to deal with. I'm genuinely devastated watching what they're going through from the safety of my home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Well, he probably didn't expect it to be so powerful - and basic human nature. A lot of people would be very tempted to go to the beach for a look - especially since it only splashed around Hawaii

It was far from a "splash" in Hawaii and not expecting something that just desecrated Japan to be powerful is well words cant describe aptly that stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Malty_T wrote: »
    It was far from a "splash" in Hawaii and not expecting something that just desecrated Japan to be powerful is well words cant describe aptly that stupidity.
    Nearly 9000km away.
    The guy is probably dead - lets all laugh and call him names.

Hillary Clinton, from skynews:

They ran out ... eh ... coolant, so we gave them some coolant ... so, eh yeah, we're really really deeply involved.

Jesus, Americans politician ... almost as bad as Irish ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

They are, apparently, going to leave off some radioactive vapour from the reactor. Let's hope the nuclear fart works and prevents a greater disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Some Americans have absolutely no idea of anything other than America. Half of them probably don't even know where Japan is. That may sound like a terrible generalisation - but it's not far from the truth!

They are, apparently, going to leave off some radioactive vapour from the reactor. Let's hope the nuclear fart works and prevents a greater disaster.

The Japanese are used to nuclear disasters anyway ... I'm sure they're prepared.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Degag wrote: »
    Some Americans have absolutely no idea of anything other than America. Half of them probably don't even know where Japan is. That may sound like a terrible generalisation - but it's not far from the truth!
    Japan is nowhere near the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Pictures here of Japan after the disaster. So surreal!

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/03/earthquake-in-japan/100022/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Degag wrote: »

You're correct. It does sound like a terrible generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

BBC showing a lot of the clips together just now at 9,,good few i hadnt seen, hate to say it but the death toll will surely soar in the next few days, I know japans buildings are prepared for the quakes, but from the wave alone thousands of people must have been swept out.

Shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Dman001 wrote: »
    Pictures here of Japan after the disaster. So surreal!

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/03/earthquake-in-japan/100022/

Wow, some of those pictures are just unbelievable! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

old hippy wrote: »
    You're correct. It does sound like a terrible generalisation.

Americans are the most retarded of nations when it comes to knowing what goes on outside of their country.

I would hazard a guess that about 30-40% dont know the capital of Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hotmama

another awful natural disaster, heard some eejits on the radio this morn warning this is the build to the mayan prophecy

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

[QUOTE
    I would hazard a guess that about 30-40% dont know the capital of Japan[/QUOTE]

SO?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I hate how charletans and scammers use natural disasters to justify their existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

Thats terrible news I just heard about the Tsunami on my longwave radio

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just looking at the news now, its unreal, they say it could screw up the world economy.
    With all these earth quakes and floods maybe the 2012 people are right:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Japan PM Kan orders expansion of evacuation area around Fukushima nuclear plant to 10 KM from 3 KM

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

Yurt wrote: »
    Thats terrible news I just heard about the Tsunami on my longwave radio

You're hilarious. NOT!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Taceom wrote: »
    [QUOTE
    I would hazard a guess that about 30-40% dont know the capital of Japan

SO?[/QUOTE]

so that is pretty retarded imo, Tokyo is one of the biggest cities in the world and Japan is one of the largest global economies, surely anyone with a few brain cells would know that.

They probably dont even know that their Sony and Panasonic giganormous 56" flat screens were designed there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement